Wanted: Free access to this Newsgroup

Old December 2nd 05, 01:52 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default Wanted: Free access to this Newsgroup

Hi all!

I've always found this newsgroup very informative and very professional.
However, my ISP, Rogers, sent me a notice this morning that it was
discontinuing its Newsnet feed starting December 15..
I find it senseless to pay for a feed for one newsgroup only:
*rec.photo.digital* .
Can someone suggest a free alternative.
Thanks.

Marcel

Old December 2nd 05, 02:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Celcius wrote:
Hi all!

I've always found this newsgroup very informative and very professional.
However, my ISP, Rogers, sent me a notice this morning that it was
discontinuing its Newsnet feed starting December 15..
I find it senseless to pay for a feed for one newsgroup only:
*rec.photo.digital* .
Can someone suggest a free alternative.
Thanks.

Marcel

Google Groups maybe? It does require a gmail account to sign in on,
however use of Google Groups is free as is Gmail itself.

http://groups.google.com
--
JasonB
Old December 2nd 05, 03:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

jasonb wrote:
Celcius wrote:

Hi all!

I've always found this newsgroup very informative and very professional.
However, my ISP, Rogers, sent me a notice this morning that it was
discontinuing its Newsnet feed starting December 15..
I find it senseless to pay for a feed for one newsgroup only:
*rec.photo.digital* .
Can someone suggest a free alternative.
Thanks.

Marcel

Google Groups maybe? It does require a gmail account to sign in on,
however use of Google Groups is free as is Gmail itself.

http://groups.google.com

Actually, it requires only a valid email address; GMail is NOT a requisite.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0548-1, 12/01/2005
Tested on: 12/2/2005 7:28:10 AM

Old December 2nd 05, 05:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Other useful photography forums & sites:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/

I'm sure there are others - these are a few that I've found interesting &
helpful (In addition to this group).

I'd also pursue
http://www.newsservers.net/FreeNewsServers.htm as suggeted
previously.

Barry

Old December 2nd 05, 06:12 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Celcius wrote:

Hi all!

I've always found this newsgroup very informative and very professional.
However, my ISP, Rogers, sent me a notice this morning that it was
discontinuing its Newsnet feed starting December 15..
I find it senseless to pay for a feed for one newsgroup only:
*rec.photo.digital* .
Can someone suggest a free alternative.

news.aioe.org

no password
Old December 2nd 05, 07:10 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Celcius" wrote in message
Hi all!

I've always found this newsgroup very informative and very professional.
However, my ISP, Rogers, sent me a notice this morning that it was
discontinuing its Newsnet feed starting December 15..
I find it senseless to pay for a feed for one newsgroup only:
*rec.photo.digital* .
Can someone suggest a free alternative.
Thanks.

Marcel

Google Groups is free but I don't think you can hide your e-mail address
when posting to a Usenet, leaving you open to address harvesters.

Old December 2nd 05, 07:13 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 10:53:17 -0600, Henry wrote:

Can someone suggest a free alternative.

If 5 bucks a month doesn't mean you'll be skipping meals, you might
want to try Supernews or Giganews. They have plans starting at
that rate.

Another "for pay" option is Astraweb, which in addition to the
usual monthly fee for unlimited downloads also sells blocks of
bandwidth. But unlike most other servers, Astraweb's blocks don't
expire after a month or some other period. The smallest block costs
$10 and is good for 25 GB. They carry rec.photo.digital and if you
use Astraweb only for text newsgroups such as r.p.d. that $10 fee
might well last for decades before a significant dent is put into
that 25 GB limit. The claimed retention is 25 days.

Still another is news.individual.net. They've been highly
regarded for a number of years but are no longer free:

Important notice:

Effective from April 1st, 2005, use of News.Individual.NET is not free of
charge anymore. The news service continues as a fee-based service. The
fee for an account for News.Individual.NET is 10 EUR per year (annual
payment), that converts to only 0.84 EUR per month.

Unlike Astraweb, they carry no binary newsgroups. But instead of
an overall retention of 25 days, the minimum retention for most
heirarchies appears to be 41 days, with "rec" being 61 days. I
can't verify that "rec" contains rec.photo.digital, but it probably
does.

http://www.news.astraweb.com/

http://news.individual.net/

Old December 2nd 05, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Graham" wrote in message
.. .

"Celcius" wrote in message
Hi all!

I've always found this newsgroup very informative and very professional.
However, my ISP, Rogers, sent me a notice this morning that it was
discontinuing its Newsnet feed starting December 15..
I find it senseless to pay for a feed for one newsgroup only:
*rec.photo.digital* .
Can someone suggest a free alternative.
Thanks.

Marcel

Google Groups is free but I don't think you can hide your e-mail address
when posting to a Usenet, leaving you open to address harvesters.

I switched isp's but never updated google which lets me sign in on the
obsolete account I don't use google ng's now. You can sign up with Netzero
or free email account and get yourself a throw away account. Google is slow
to update posts. I used to use teranews, they were free at the time I used
them - quite good.
Dave Cohen

Old December 2nd 05, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Celcius" wrote:
I've always found this newsgroup very informative and very professional.
However, my ISP, Rogers, sent me a notice this morning that it was
discontinuing its Newsnet feed starting December 15..
I find it senseless to pay for a feed for one newsgroup only:
*rec.photo.digital* .
Can someone suggest a free alternative.

Teranews:
http://www.teranews.com

Jon
Old December 2nd 05, 09:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Henry wrote in :

Celcius wrote:

Hi all!

I've always found this newsgroup very informative and very
professional. However, my ISP, Rogers, sent me a notice this morning
that it was discontinuing its Newsnet feed starting December 15..
I find it senseless to pay for a feed for one newsgroup only:
*rec.photo.digital* .
Can someone suggest a free alternative.

If 5 bucks a month doesn't mean you'll be skipping meals, you might
want to try Supernews or Giganews. They have plans starting at
that rate.

Of course you can also join the league of cheap-ass nitwits, spammers
and miscreants and go to Google groups.. It's web access, but it's
free.

I'm also a Rogers customer who has been forced to look elsewhere for a
newsfeed because of Rogers's decision to discontinue providing Usenet
service to its customers. I will not be switching to Giganews or any
Giganews reseller, however. My reason for avoiding them is that I'm
suspicious that the recent Usenet changes by Rogers are part of an
orchestrated business plan between Rogers and Giganews to remove Usenet
costs from Rogers and deliver additional Usenet revenue to Giganews. If
true, they should come out and say so. It was only a short time ago that
Rogers discontinued its own NNTP servers and switched its customers onto
Giganews servers. Now just a few months later, Rogers is discontinuing
Usenet service altogether and has posted a notice on its web pages
suggesting that its customers can continue getting Usenet by buying it
from Giganews. All this seems too coincidental to be anything but part
of a pre-formulated business plan to move customers from Rogers's free
Usenet service to Giganews's fee-based service. Perhaps this is being too
paranoid but I doubt it. In any event, I've signed up with EasyNews. I
originally signed up with NewsHosting but cancelled that service when
they failed to activate posting rights despite numerous requests using
their proscribed methods. I am happy with EasyNews.