70 - 200 L USM question

Old November 29th 05, 10:51 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Default 70 - 200 L USM question

I just invested in this lens - Just viewed the first results - WOW! It
IS sharp and what lovely colours.... What a fantastic lump of
glass!!!!

I did invest in the massively expensive tripod collar - & Glad I was
too... On way home, I have to go over a big (for England) hill. It was
just gone dusk. The mist was rising around a village in the valley.
30seconds at F/25 using one of those miniature pocket tripods

Without the tripod ring, the camera would have been too nose heavy to
be usable & I will have lost the shots....As it was, I am extremely
pleased with them...

The question: why does this lens have a switch 1.2 metres to infinity
or 3 metres to infinity.

Surely it is not in an effort to save focussing time?

Old November 29th 05, 11:14 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

The question: why does this lens have a switch 1.2 metres to infinity
or 3 metres to infinity.

Surely it is not in an effort to save focussing time?

I have the 70-200 2.8 is usm with that button and, as stated in the
manual, fasting focuing is exactly what it's for.
Old November 29th 05, 11:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:05:26 GMT, "Robbie"
wrote:

Donald, I don't have the answer, but more of a request. Can you put one of
the pics somewhere? I would like to see it.

Thanks!

Hi Robbie

I have been rendering them for the web - Reducing to 800 pix etc
I have run outa time & must get to bed... Tomorrow I have a funeral to
goto & may not have time to put em up then...

I will be putting the first few shots up on my website - I only have
the images from my last camera there at the mo. (Nikon 5700)

I will post again in this thread when I have done so...

In the meanwhile see:
www.websilk.co.uk/digital

Regard
Donald
Old November 29th 05, 11:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:14:28 GMT, Alan wrote:

The question: why does this lens have a switch 1.2 metres to infinity
or 3 metres to infinity.

Surely it is not in an effort to save focussing time?

I have the 70-200 2.8 is usm with that button and, as stated in the
manual, fasting focuing is exactly what it's for.

Hi Alan
Obviously with teh 'posh' version you get a manual - with my version,
all I got was a sheet that covered 7 lenses including the 70 - 210 but
not the 70-200!

The sheet does not cover the focussing limiter switch.

Is there any harm in leaving it permanantly on the 1.2 metre position?
Old November 30th 05, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Donald Gray wrote:
On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 22:14:28 GMT, Alan wrote:

The question: why does this lens have a switch 1.2 metres to infinity
or 3 metres to infinity.

Surely it is not in an effort to save focussing time?

I have the 70-200 2.8 is usm with that button and, as stated in the
manual, fasting focuing is exactly what it's for.

Hi Alan
Obviously with teh 'posh' version you get a manual - with my version,
all I got was a sheet that covered 7 lenses including the 70 - 210 but
not the 70-200!

The sheet does not cover the focussing limiter switch.

Is there any harm in leaving it permanantly on the 1.2 metre position?

Hi Donald, no, there is no harm in leaving it at the 1.2m-infiniy
setting,it's just that when you're shooting consistantly within the
further range you can pick up a bit of speed beacuse the camera doesn't
look for stuff close in.

Old November 30th 05, 01:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

Donald Gray wrote:
I just invested in this lens - Just viewed the first results - WOW! It
IS sharp and what lovely colours.... What a fantastic lump of
glass!!!!

I did invest in the massively expensive tripod collar - & Glad I was
too... On way home, I have to go over a big (for England) hill. It was
just gone dusk. The mist was rising around a village in the valley.
30seconds at F/25 using one of those miniature pocket tripods

Without the tripod ring, the camera would have been too nose heavy to
be usable & I will have lost the shots....As it was, I am extremely
pleased with them...

The question: why does this lens have a switch 1.2 metres to infinity
or 3 metres to infinity.

Surely it is not in an effort to save focussing time?

Surely it is meant to be used to reduce auto focusing time. Grinning
Old November 30th 05, 01:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

It is also useful if you are shooting say birds from brushes and there are
little bits of "stuff" blowing about within 1.2 meters or whatever, if set
to the 3 meter mark it then will not bother focussing on these closer things
hence loosing focus on the main subject.

regards

Don from Down Under

Old November 30th 05, 02:37 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Donald Gray" wrote in message
I just invested in this lens - Just viewed the first results - WOW! It
IS sharp and what lovely colours.... What a fantastic lump of
glass!!!!

I did invest in the massively expensive tripod collar - & Glad I was
too... On way home, I have to go over a big (for England) hill. It was
just gone dusk. The mist was rising around a village in the valley.
30seconds at F/25 using one of those miniature pocket tripods

Without the tripod ring, the camera would have been too nose heavy to
be usable & I will have lost the shots....As it was, I am extremely
pleased with them...

The question: why does this lens have a switch 1.2 metres to infinity
or 3 metres to infinity.

Surely it is not in an effort to save focussing time?

Actually, that's exactly what it is. It is termed a "focus limiter," and it
keeps the lens from having to go its entire focus range when you refocus.
It caught me out the other day, I forgot I'd switched it to the shorter
range, and was getting in close to a couple for a tight head shot, and the
lens wouldn't focus.
Is yours an f4 or f2.8? Mine's an f2.8, and I love it.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Old November 30th 05, 02:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

"Donald Gray" wrote in message
I just invested in this lens - Just viewed the first results - WOW! It
IS sharp and what lovely colours.... What a fantastic lump of
glass!!!!

The question: why does this lens have a switch 1.2 metres to infinity
or 3 metres to infinity.

Surely it is not in an effort to save focussing time?

I believe that in fact that is the reason for that switch. It is there to
help stop the lense from searching all the way through the focusing range.