Prints from slides

Old May 3rd 04, 08:20 PM
LBHistand

Default Prints from slides

I have a lot of old slides, mostly family snapshots, which I would like to make
into color prints (3x5,4x6).to place in albums. I have had some done by local
camera shops with pretty good results, but I would like to try it myself if
possible.

Does anyone know the procedure normally used for this? I would assume that
they use a copying setup, with flash, and special film but am not sure. Once
on film I would send it out for normal mini-lab processing.

Also, any thoughts on the best way to make b&w prints from color slides. I do
have a b&w darkroom, 1:1 macro lens, flash eqipment etc.

Thanks for any tips, Len
Old May 3rd 04, 08:42 PM
A.Lee

On Mon, 03 May 2004 19:20:25 +0000, LBHistand wrote:

I have a lot of old slides,..... which I would like to make
into color prints (3x5,4x6)
Does anyone know the procedure normally used for this? I would assume that
they use a copying setup, with flash, and special film but am not sure.

No, they'll use Cibachrome paper.

Once on film I would send it out for normal mini-lab processing.

It is possible to do that, but it much easier just to get the prints from
your current slides.Ilford Cibachrome/Ilfochrome paper and chemicals are
what you need.Made for making positive prints from a positive
source(slides).Its a bit more expensive than normal RA4 colour
paper/chemical, but not too much.I think Agfa also do a version. The
chemical is a 3 bath process (+wash), dev/bleach/fix, easily achieved at
home if you have the processing equipment.

Also, any thoughts on the best way to make b&w prints from color slides.
I do have a b&w darkroom, 1:1 macro lens, flash eqipment etc.

There used to be a paper available from Ilford, but it is a long time (~20
years) since I last saw it, so you will have to copy the slides using a
copier which you attach to the front of your lens, than take B+W shots of
them,depending what camera you have, these copier attachments can be
fairly cheap ~20-30 UKP, 30-45 USD on ebay.
Alan.

http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.

Old May 4th 04, 05:16 AM
Donald Qualls

LBHistand wrote:

I have a lot of old slides, mostly family snapshots, which I would like to make
into color prints (3x5,4x6).to place in albums. I have had some done by local
camera shops with pretty good results, but I would like to try it myself if
possible.

Does anyone know the procedure normally used for this? I would assume that
they use a copying setup, with flash, and special film but am not sure. Once
on film I would send it out for normal mini-lab processing.

Also, any thoughts on the best way to make b&w prints from color slides. I do
have a b&w darkroom, 1:1 macro lens, flash eqipment etc.

Thanks for any tips, Len

Well, if you already have a darkroom and an enlarger that can accept
color correction filters, and like enlarging in total darkness (no
safelight for color materials), you can make Cibachrome/Ilfochrome
prints from the slides, as others have suggested, though you'll still
need to buy some equipment like daylight processing drums and agitator
base, as well as the chemistry and paper. The simplest way, though, and
probably the cheapest, is to rent, buy, or improvise a slide copying
setup (any macro lens that can focus at 1:1, plus a diffusion backlit
slide holder and a rigid mount for both camera and slide will do the
job) and, as you suggested, rephotograph the slides onto conventional
C-41 color negative film for handling at your local lab. If your camera
has TTL metering, it will even produce correct exposures more or less
automatically.

BTW, the backlight is probably simpler as a filter corrected steady
light than a flash -- a simple frosted tungsten bulb of low wattage with
a filter for shooting daylight slide film under low temperature tungsten
should give correct color rendition (and the negative printing will
generally correct it somewhat anyway).

--
I may be a scwewy wabbit, but I'm not going to Alcatwaz!
-- E. J. Fudd, 1954

Donald Qualls, aka The Silent Observer
Lathe Building Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/HomebuiltLathe.htm
Speedway 7x12 Lathe Pages http://silent1.home.netcom.com/my7x12.htm

and don't expect them to be perfect.

Old May 4th 04, 06:04 AM
LBHistand

Thanks for the replies so far.

This may help narrow down my question. I dug out the slide-to-color print order
I had processed a few years ago by a local camera shop. Sure enough the
negatives were there too. They are on 5325 internegative film. The prints are
made on common Kodak Royal paper. They did this job in house, using thier own
mini-lab to print. So the question seems to be - how did they get the 1:1
image on the film? Maybe someone here worked in a lab and would know the setup
used for this.

To clear up any confusion, I am not interested in display prints, just saving
the old, sometimes fading, images on old slides for family albums. I am talking
about maybe a hundred or more prints, so ilfochrome and other wet processes are
out for this task. Getting good b&w prints has driven me half mad already so I
don't even want to think about color. Len
Old May 4th 04, 12:05 PM
Nick Zentena

LBHistand wrote:

To clear up any confusion, I am not interested in display prints, just saving
the old, sometimes fading, images on old slides for family albums. I am talking
about maybe a hundred or more prints, so ilfochrome and other wet processes are
out for this task. Getting good b&w prints has driven me half mad already so I
don't even want to think about color. Len

Getting good B&W prints from colour negatives [or I guess slides] is
harder then colour prints. At least that's my expierence.

Nick
Old May 4th 04, 03:14 PM
Jerry Gitomer

On Tue, 04 May 2004 05:04:43 +0000, LBHistand wrote:

[...]

The last time I had prints made from slides by a lab I asked and they told
me how they did it. They used a Nikon with a 50mm f1.8, a bellows and
a bellows slide copier attachment.

I have since used the same setup to make copies of art work on both
negative and slide film. While I prefer to use Nikon any SLR with TTL
metering, a bellows attachment and a bellows slide copier will work. (I
prefer Nikon for work like this because there is an excellent market in
used accessories which allows me to sell off anything I won't need again
for about what I paid for it.)

Back to technique. Wait for a nice sunny day, load the film of your
choice, mount the bellows and slide copier attachment, mount the
whole setup on a tripod (if you have one), point the camera out the
window at a clear patch of sky, set the camera on aperature priority,
and press the shutter! [Of course if it is a nice day it is better to
go outside -- or at least open the window.) For your requirements that is
all there is to it.

If you want to make slide copies instead of negative copies it gets a
little more complicated if you need to get close or exact color matches.
If that is the case use artificial light with color correcting filters. I
use a 100 watt bulb in a reflector as my light source. I then take a
series of two sets of three photos of each slide I am copying. One
set with an 80B + an 82C+ an 82A filter and one with only the 80B and the
the 82C filters. Each set consists of one shot one stop higher than the
meter reading, one at the meter reading, and one at one stop lower than
the meter reading.

HTH
Jerry

Old May 4th 04, 05:28 PM
Mike King

Cibachrome/Ilfochrome was never used for consumer grade prints from slides,
too expensive and contrasty, at various times it's been internegatives, then
the various Kodak reversal products. Today it's almost all digital, scan
the slides and make C-type prints.

You could use a t-mount slide duper and a low contrast film and get OK
prints but really digital is much better for this application unless you
have access to a slide duper with contrast controls.

--
darkroommike

----------

Old May 5th 04, 02:00 AM
Nicholas O. Lindan

"LBHistand" wrote

I have a lot of old slides, mostly family snapshots, which I would like to make
into color prints (3x5,4x6)

A slide duplicator is the tool for the job. Lots to choose from, look at ebay.

Use an internegative film, otherwise the contrast will be excessive. Fuji I-TN is
the only one I know of that is still in production. Kodak still makes the stuff in
motion picture stock. The Fuji film comes in 100ft rolls, so you will have to load
your own cassettes. You may want to use a genuine photo store for processing rather
than the drugstore or Wal-Mart - most places won't take hand-loads and a photo store
will print appropriately if you tell them they are internegatives.

Use a camera with TTL metering.

For a light source use a blue filter and an incandescent lamp, a TTL flash
or last and least, daylight.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan, Cleveland, Ohio
Remove spaces etc. to reply: n o lindan at net com dot com