Is there any camera on earth meeting 4 simple requirements (AA,CF,7x)

Old June 10th 05, 01:18 PM
Ken Burns

- AA batteries (never again will I buy electronics with battery packs!)

That means that you will never again buy electronics.

KB

Old June 10th 05, 01:45 PM
C. Massey

"Susan (Graphic Artist)" wrote in message
oups.com...
MY QUESTION:
Can there not be a camera on earth that meets these 4 simple goals?
- AA batteries
- Good photo quality
- 7x to 10x optical zoom
- CF media

snip

Check out http://www.steves-digicams.com . This guy has reviews and specs
with sample pics from tons of cameras!

Old June 10th 05, 03:02 PM
Ron

I must say I was very devoted to AA's until getting Oly 5060 and E-300
which take (the same) proprietary battery. It isn't just the added
punch, but the ease with which I can exchange batteries, and the tiny
charger which, with another I carry for flashlight AA's, would easily
fit in a coat pocket or shaving kit. And, the propietary batteries I buy
on e-Bay for about seven bucks each work just fine as backups. Where I
do like AA's is with a small camera that takes two of them. My sense is
that in this case one gets a lot more for one's money, particularly if
the camera will take CRV3 rechargeables. As for CF, I'm among those who
had pin problems and had to return a camera for repair. They strike me
as overly delicate. I'm much more comfy with xD or even my old Smart Media.

Just a couple more thoughts from someone who has been going around the
block for a long time. Good luck! Let us know what you do.

Susan (Graphic Artist) wrote:
MY QUESTION:
Can there not be a camera on earth that meets these 4 simple goals?
- AA batteries
- Good photo quality
- 7x to 10x optical zoom
- CF media

I ask for your help in that I've only found ONE camera which comes
close to meeting these 4 simple (and, I'd bet, pretty univerally held)
requirements:
- AA batteries (never again will I buy electronics with battery packs!)
- Excellent picture quality (I trust in Consumer Reports measurements)
- 7x - 10x optical zoom (equivalent to about 200 mm or more)
- Compact Flash media (I already have many CF cards & PCMCIA readers)

Searching endlessly, I can only find one camera coming close:
- Canon Powershot S1 IS (3.2 MP)
But I'd like a 5 megapixel or larger (for enlargements if needed).

Also this digital camera doesn't have a macro capability.
(Ad copy says it can focus at 4 inches so that seems like a built-in
macro non-macro to me ... what do you think)?

Is there any AA,CF,7x, camera with good photo quality on earth?

Susan Henderson

Old June 10th 05, 03:13 PM

ya..
ihave a fuji s3000 .. AAs 4 of them.. 6 X optical zoom.. with xD...
and I have been over impressed with it.. low light capture. is great..

http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_g...s3000%2520fuji

Old June 10th 05, 03:14 PM
Bill 2

"George" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:
Its terminally stupid to be limiting your choices with
that silly requirement that it must use AA batterys.

"Susan (Graphic Artist)" wrote in message
oups.com...

MY QUESTION:
Can there not be a camera on earth that meets these 4 simple goals?
- AA batteries
- Good photo quality
- 7x to 10x optical zoom
- CF media

I ask for your help in that I've only found ONE camera which comes
close to meeting these 4 simple (and, I'd bet, pretty univerally held)
requirements:
- AA batteries (never again will I buy electronics with battery packs!)

More fool you.

Actually extremely sensible. There is a lot to be said for standard form
factor equipment. If the camera uses a standard form factor battery such
as AA you can use NiMh rechargeables and if you should get in a situation
where you deplete the rechargeables and charging is not available you can
easily pop in a set of akaline batterys which even if you weren't carrying
them as a spare can be purchased most anywhere.

I wouldn't pop in alkalines, camera would kill them in short order. I'd at
least try to find one time use lithium batteries.

Old June 10th 05, 03:48 PM
Cheesehead

Pentax istD with battery grip
or
Pentax isdDS/DL (but they use SD)

Just add zoom/macro lens.

What I was looking for, when considering p&s digitals, was the hot
shoe.
All the other things seems superfluous -- they can be exchanged or
dealt with.
But the hot shoe provides a lighting interface. Few have it.

Colln

Old June 10th 05, 04:07 PM
Charles Gillen

"Susan (Graphic Artist)" wrote:

Searching endlessly, I can only find one camera coming close:
- Canon Powershot S1 IS (3.2 MP)
But I'd like a 5 megapixel or larger (for enlargements if needed).

The newer Powershot S2 IS ($480 at B&H Photovideo) is 5 Mp, 12x zoom, but
uses SD card rather than CF. To my mind, the biggest digital bang for the
buck.

--
Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA
Old June 10th 05, 04:38 PM
Susan (Graphic Artist)

Renato wrote:
Fuji Finepix S7000.
Renato

Hmmmn ... what is microdrive?

Consumer Reports lists the $515 6MP Fuji FinePix S7000 (#39 on the July
2005 ratings chart) as:
- AA batteries =3D YES
- excellent photo quality =3D YES
- 7x optical zoom =3D NO (6x might be acceptable though)
- Compact Flash media =3D NO (xD & microdrive - whatever that is)

However, DP Reviews ( http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilms7000 )
lists the $550 6MP Fuji FinePix S7000 (January 2004) as:
=B7 Slot 1: xD-Picture Card
=B7 Slot 2: Compact Flash Type I or Type II (IBM Microdrive compatible)

So, I'm confused again. Did I do the wrong initial research?
I passed over the Fuji Finepx S7000 because it was xD and microdrive
(but not CF); but it appears microdrive might be the SAME as CF so why
didn't CR say so?

I'm confused,
Susan Henderson

Old June 10th 05, 04:50 PM
The Real Bev

Bill 2 wrote:

"George" wrote:

Actually extremely sensible. There is a lot to be said for standard form
factor equipment. If the camera uses a standard form factor battery such
as AA you can use NiMh rechargeables and if you should get in a situation
where you deplete the rechargeables and charging is not available you can
easily pop in a set of akaline batterys which even if you weren't carrying
them as a spare can be purchased most anywhere.

I wouldn't pop in alkalines, camera would kill them in short order. I'd at
least try to find one time use lithium batteries.

They're not dead, just no longer useful for high-drain applications. They'll
do fine in radios etc.

Useful URLs that nobody has mentioned so far:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html
http://www.dpreview.com/
http://www.thomas-distributing.com
http://www.thomas-distributing.com/m...-batteries.htm