Maxxum 7D $200 rebate in Canada

Old May 10th 05, 04:42 PM
Alan Browne

Default Maxxum 7D $200 rebate in Canada

Go to the K-M Canada site.

(K-M Canada are real cheap. In the US they get a US$200 rebate on a US
priced camera. Here we get a CAD$200 rebate on a CAD priced camera).

That's on the order of $50 bucks less reabte after paying more.
-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 12th 05, 03:42 PM

So www.henrys.com has the Maxxum 7D body available for $1899 CAD, then
I assume you apply the rebate overtop of that for a $1699 body, which
makes it very competitive with the Canon 20D price wise.

How valuable is the CCD shift and anti-shake? is this a serious
competitor to the 20D IYHO? This is a noob question, but does the
anti-shake eliminate the need for IS lenses?

the lack of an 'entry' DSLR model is leading me to pick between the D70
and RebelXT but I want to be aware of the competitor models by other
vendors. If the Maxxum 7D is quality competitive with the 20D, AND will
legitimately save me money on lenses down the road, I might up my
budget by $500.

Old May 12th 05, 05:00 PM
Alan Browne

So
www.henrys.com has the Maxxum 7D body available for $1899 CAD, then
I assume you apply the rebate overtop of that for a $1699 body, which
makes it very competitive with the Canon 20D price wise.

Except you should be able to negotiate at least $1800 and little better
before the rebate.

How valuable is the CCD shift and anti-shake? is this a serious
competitor to the 20D IYHO? This is a noob question, but does the
anti-shake eliminate the need for IS lenses?

Recent test I did:
http://www.aliasimages.com/KM7D_AS_Test.htm

I still have to test it at 200mm and 20mm. My 300 f/2.8 is too heavy to
handhold for more than a few shots.

the lack of an 'entry' DSLR model is leading me to pick between the D70
and RebelXT but I want to be aware of the competitor models by other
vendors. If the Maxxum 7D is quality competitive with the 20D, AND will
legitimately save me money on lenses down the road, I might up my
budget by $500.

If you have Minolta lenses, then it makes sense. There is not a hell of
a lot of difference between 6 and 8 Mpix. Prints very well to 10 x 15
(in.), probably a bit more.

Very large file: (2.5 MB), view at 100% zoom (3008x2000 pixels):
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_FD.U.jpg

If you don't have Minolta lenses, well it still makes sense, but there
is no indication to date of a follow on SLR (Either a cut down "5D"
perhaps w/o anti-shake, or a higher res 8D or 9D...). So there is
uncertainty with K-M.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 12th 05, 09:32 PM
ian lincoln

"Alan Browne" wrote in message
.. .

If you have Minolta lenses, then it makes sense. There is not a hell of a
lot of difference between 6 and 8 Mpix. Prints very well to 10 x 15
(in.), probably a bit more.

Very large file: (2.5 MB), view at 100% zoom (3008x2000 pixels):
http://www.aliasimages.com/images/KM7D/ColBill_FD.U.jpg

If you don't have Minolta lenses, well it still makes sense, but there is
no indication to date of a follow on SLR (Either a cut down "5D" perhaps
w/o anti-shake, or a higher res 8D or 9D...). So there is uncertainty
with K-M.

Cheers,
Alan

Wow! those that have been criticising the minolta for its picture quality
are nitpicking indeed.

Old May 12th 05, 09:48 PM
Paul Bielec

So
www.henrys.com has the Maxxum 7D body available for $1899 CAD, then
I assume you apply the rebate overtop of that for a $1699 body, which
makes it very competitive with the Canon 20D price wise.

How valuable is the CCD shift and anti-shake? is this a serious
competitor to the 20D IYHO? This is a noob question, but does the
anti-shake eliminate the need for IS lenses?

the lack of an 'entry' DSLR model is leading me to pick between the D70
and RebelXT but I want to be aware of the competitor models by other
vendors. If the Maxxum 7D is quality competitive with the 20D, AND will
legitimately save me money on lenses down the road, I might up my
budget by $500.

One think I really don't like about the Rebel XT is its size.
It is too small.
Although it has some features my Digital Rebel lacks, it is not enough
to justify the price difference.
Old May 12th 05, 09:51 PM
RichA

On Thu, 12 May 2005 12:00:04 -0400, Alan Browne

[...]

Non-DSLR image.

http://www.pbase.com/andersonrm/image/43289242

But I'd still like the flexibility of a DSLR!

Old May 12th 05, 10:11 PM
Alan Browne

ian lincoln wrote:

Wow! those that have been criticising the minolta for its picture quality
are nitpicking indeed.

There's an unfortunate kneejerk reaction from some Nikon addicts and
some Canon trigger pullers that if it ain't those brands, it must be bad.

In dpreview tests, the 7D was clearly a better camera wrt imaging than
the 7D in all respects, including noise.

The photo in the prev. post was taken with the MAxxum 100 f/2.8 macro
which is sharper than the Nikon and Canon macros of similar FL. Hell
it's sharper than almost all Nikon and Canon lenses per photodo.

And of course, anti-shake in camera is a benefit all it's own as the
test page I put up clearly shows.

Cheers,
Alan

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old May 13th 05, 12:22 AM
Patco

Things seem to cost a bit more at Henry's compared to my local shop.
Try here ($1789.95):
http://www.simonscameras.com/digital...fmt=70&ftype=0

oups.com...