How do I use the light meter on an Autocord CDS III?

Old March 23rd 04, 08:02 PM
Stacey

Default How do I use the light meter on an Autocord CDS III?

klink wrote:

What do the numbers mean? I get values like "8,15" and "7,14" with the
light meter set to 100ASA, but I have no idea what this means. Is
there some sort of secret decoder ring I'm supposed to use in order to
find out how this translates to shutter speed and aperture?

Add the numbers on the scale for the f stop and shutter speed. The decoder
ring is on the front of the camera! ;-)
--

Stacey

Old March 24th 04, 03:00 AM
klink

On Tue, 23 Mar 2004 20:02:39 +0000, Stacey wrote:

klink wrote:

What do the numbers mean? I get values like "8,15" and "7,14" with the
light meter set to 100ASA, but I have no idea what this means. Is
there some sort of secret decoder ring I'm supposed to use in order to
find out how this translates to shutter speed and aperture?

Add the numbers on the scale for the f stop and shutter speed. The decoder
ring is on the front of the camera! ;-)

What scale? So I had add 7 and 14 and get 21F? I don't understand.

Old March 24th 04, 09:20 AM
Stephen Leslie

Hi Klink,

I have just done a quick google search and if you see the link below and go
to the bottom of the page it states how you can get hold of a manual, plus
there are companies who sell them as well.
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=003lcC

Cheers,
Stephen

Old March 24th 04, 01:25 PM
klink

On Wed, 24 Mar 2004 09:20:54 -0000, "Stephen Leslie"
wrote:

Hi Klink,

I have just done a quick google search and if you see the link below and go
to the bottom of the page it states how you can get hold of a manual, plus
there are companies who sell them as well.
http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=003lcC

Cheers,
Stephen

I downloaded a copy of the manual in JPEG format last night. I've done
a bit more reading. Apparently one needs a chart to use this light
meter. It is an "EV" system. One has to translate numbers into other
numbers and so on. I will be glad to post the number chart sheet in
the manual if anybody wants it.

klink

Old March 24th 04, 02:26 PM
Stephen Leslie

Hi Klink,

When I first saw your post I thought it was the EV system, just could'nt
remember its name.

However, I suggest you get hold of a light meter like a Weston V or
Leningrad 8, as these have the ev numbers on them and gives you a seperate
reading as well instead of realing on a piece of paper with the details on
(though you could also elaminate it like a business card).

Price wise you should pick one up for under £20 I expext on Ebay or even try
a local antique fair as you never know what you may find, though I've yet to
find that elusive Leica hidden in a box the seller knows nothing about.

Cheers,
Stephen

Old March 25th 04, 12:14 AM
Stacey

klink wrote:

What do the numbers mean? I get values like "8,15" and "7,14" with the
light meter set to 100ASA, but I have no idea what this means. Is
there some sort of secret decoder ring I'm supposed to use in order to
find out how this translates to shutter speed and aperture?

Add the numbers on the scale for the f stop and shutter speed. The decoder
ring is on the front of the camera! ;-)

What scale?

Around the taking lens.

So I had add 7 and 14 and get 21F? I don't understand.

On my autocord with EV meter, the meter needle lines up with a number
between 5 and 17 at 100asa. Then looking at the front of the lens suround
you add up the number the f stop is set at to the number the shutter speed
is set at. So if the meter shows a 14, I set the f stop at 7 which equals
f11 and the shutter at 7 which equals 1/100.

I'm not sure what you're talking about with 'the meter reading 8,15'? The
meter reads a single number.
--

Stacey
Old March 29th 04, 06:23 PM
klink

klink wrote:

[...]

I know a bit more about the EV system now. The first number is for the
low light setting and the 2nd is for high light settings. I downloaded
a copy of the manual and I think I've got it down. Numbers aren't my
specialty.

klink