Processing NEF (RAW) files from a Nikon camera

Old January 21st 05, 09:04 PM

Default Processing NEF (RAW) files from a Nikon camera

The new version of Photoshop has a built-in browser that is very
convenient for processing RAW files leading directly to the editing
process. However, it seems to not work with the version of RAW that is
produced by a Nikon camera (D100). Nikon calls the format NEF and says
it is their name for a RAW format. But the Photoshop browser does not
recognize it as a raw file, and does not give you access to the RAW
editor.

The Nikon browser (Capture 4) does recognize the NEF format as a
variety of RAW and gives you an editing screen that begins to
approximate the Camera RAW one in Photoshop. But it is not as
convenient and may not be as complete as the Photoshop editor. NEF is
apparently not RAW in the way that Photoshop thinks of RAW.

My conclusion is that a NEF file must be processed in Capture 4 to get
anywhere near the flexibility available in Photoshop for real RAW
files. Is this correct? Have I missed something?
Thanks,
Mark Schupack

Old January 21st 05, 09:33 PM
Tom Scales

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

Sure it does. You can either update your RAW converter from the Adobe site,
or install Nikon View AFTER installing Photoshop.

Tom

Old January 22nd 05, 01:36 AM

I have installed version 2.3 updater for camera raw, and still get the
same results: when trying to edit a NEF file in Pnotoshop I only get a
2-command dialog box and not the camera raw dialog box I am supposed to
get. I hate to think of editing everything in Nikon Capture 4.
Thaanks for the help.

Old January 23rd 05, 01:24 AM

Hooray! This solves the problem. Thanks to all those who responed.
Nikon is sneaky, in addition to charging high prices.

Mark Schupack

Old January 23rd 05, 03:32 AM
Tom Scales

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hooray! This solves the problem. Thanks to all those who responed.
Nikon is sneaky, in addition to charging high prices.

Mark Schupack

Since you didn't quote, we're a bit in the dark. What is the solution?

Old January 23rd 05, 03:42 AM
paul

Tom Scales wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Hooray! This solves the problem. Thanks to all those who responed.
Nikon is sneaky, in addition to charging high prices.

Mark Schupack

Since you didn't quote, we're a bit in the dark. What is the solution?

See paste below from the previous posts (the answer is in another group).

Mike G. wrote:

Mike G. wrote:

wrote:

I have installed version 2.3 updater for camera raw, and still get the
same results: when trying to edit a NEF file in Pnotoshop I only get a
2-command dialog box and not the camera raw dialog box I am supposed to
get. I hate to think of editing everything in Nikon Capture 4.
Thaanks for the help.

OK, I just found it. It's in alt.graphics.photoshop: RAW problems in
PS CS after Nikon Capture installed, posted 12/28/04, by Hunt. Many
replies and a good discussion.

Mike