Slave flash for cheap digital cameras?

Old January 3rd 05, 01:39 AM
PNWestposter

Default Slave flash for cheap digital cameras?

Practically all of my indoor (flash aided) shots with my Kodak DX4530 are
too dark. I now accept that given ISO and lack of manual over-rides, this
will always be the case. The camera takes great o/door shots ...and good
unaided daylight indoor pix.

My question to the group, is has anyone used the relatively cheap ($59 on
ebay) slave flash units made by Bower or Phoenix? These units *do not*
require a hot shoe .....and are mounted on the accessory shoe of the
enclosed mounting bracket, which is screwed on to the tripod mount of the
camera. Alternatively, they can evidently be set up on a mini tripod and be
triggered by the camera's flash.

My understanding is that these are pretty much compatible with any point and
shoot digital camera. I'm quite interested in whether the little extra
"boost" will make these pictures tolerable w/out having to resort to PC
software enhancement.

Thanks,
Keith

Old January 3rd 05, 02:23 AM
JohnR66

These should work as long as you don't use redeye reduction mode, or the
camera prefires the flash for exposure check or whatever before the main
exposure.
John

Old January 3rd 05, 02:43 AM
Gene Palmiter

You want to get the ones specifically for digitals that fire a preflash if
you camera does this. They cost a bit more but are worth it. I keep one with
a tiny tripod in my bag in case I want to light up areas that are beyond the
reach of my on camera flash.

Old January 4th 05, 02:34 PM
A Walker

Yes, I use this sort of system - sometimes with 2 flashguns. A tip -
tape a piece of exposed negative film over the camera flash - this
allows through IR to trigger the slaves but cuts out the light from
the flash - which stops it casting shadows behind the subject.

Old January 21st 05, 01:59 AM

Hi Keith,
I'm considering the same thing myself. If you made the leap, would you
post your experience.
Thanks!