AF illuminator on the Maxxum 7D

Old October 15th 04, 08:57 PM
Alan Browne

Default AF illuminator on the Maxxum 7D

Another fart from the mind of Minolta. They have removed the body based AF
illuminator (as on the Maxxum 9 and 7 and most older Maxxums). Instead the
flash will be used to help the AF. But, once the flash is used for AF, flash is
also activated for the shot (I believe from the manual, Maxxum 5 owners please
confirm).

So, if you need AF assist, but you don't want flash, you're screwed (as on the
Maxxum 5).

You might say "Well, if you need flash to focus, then you need flash for the
shot." but this of course is simply not so. Exposures below -1 EV or so do not
need flash, just more time...

Cheers,
Alan

http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/...D?mDetail=Faqs
Question: Is the Maxxum 7D equipped with AF illuminator?
Answer: Yes. This model employs an AF illuminator function by built-in flash
firing. (Flash must be raised by hand.) When using an external flash which
employs AF illuminator function, the AF illuminator of the external flash functions.

Old October 16th 04, 12:46 AM
Jer

Alan Browne wrote:

[...]

Well, the way it was explained to me at the shop some days ago, the
pop-up flash is used in a pre-flash mode for AF only - actual exposure
is computed between AF pre-flash and shutter. But the internal flash
will only fire if flash is enabled via menu and still in up position,
even though it was used for AF. Yes, the external flash uses a separate
AF lamp (I think he said IR) for it's AF function, but will still only
fire if enabled via menu.

Seems odd but that's the story I got.

--
jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

Old October 16th 04, 12:34 PM
Dallas

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:57:36 -0400, Alan Browne had this to say:

[...]

Um...focus manually?

--
DD™
Durban, South Africa.

Old October 16th 04, 03:12 PM
Alan Browne

Jer wrote:

Alan Browne wrote:

[...]

It all comes down to K-M eliminating the body AF-illuminator to shave costs.
The downside here is that if the flash is enabled and up it will fire during the
actual shot as well. (I'll have to experiment with my SO's Max 5).

Old October 16th 04, 03:52 PM
Alan Browne

Dallas wrote:

http://kmpi.konicaminolta.us/eprise/...D?mDetail=Faqs
Question: Is the Maxxum 7D equipped with AF illuminator? Answer: Yes.
This model employs an AF illuminator function by built-in flash firing.
(Flash must be raised by hand.) When using an external flash which employs
AF illuminator function, the AF illuminator of the external flash
functions.

Um...focus manually?

That is what I do 99% of the time.

However people with poor eyesight depend more on AF than others, in particular
in low light conditions.

Old October 16th 04, 07:33 PM
Alan Browne

Nostrobino wrote:

Personally, I can't see this as being something I would ever want to do in
the first place. Just out of curiosity, what sort of shot would you want to
take where this would be a problem?

For myself I don't use AF often at all. Two years ago maybe 25% of the time,
now, damn near 0. But in some situations it is valuable such as shooting people
at a party in low light... in that case, while the red illuminator is a pain,
the flash illuminator will really be a distraction... folks with declining
eyesight will also use AF a lot more ... I'm not there (yet).

Cheers,
Alan