Sekonic L358 or L558?

Old September 11th 04, 04:18 AM
Tom (2)

Default Sekonic L358 or L558?

I'm leaning toward buying 2, X1600 White-Lightning strobes,
triggering them with PocketWizards, and shooting with an F100. So I
need a meter and it looks like the PocketWizard feature takes me to
Sekonic L358 or L-558.

What I need now is flash metering that either will do. But I don't
want to not get the 558 if there are features I will either use or
later learn to use. It looks like the 558 will do 1 percent spot
metering which my F100 already has and I don't use much. It looks
like the 558 will fire each strobe separately which looks like I would
use. The 558 also meters at f2 at iso 100. I do use an 85mm F1.4 and
the 105mm F2 DC. Am I to assume that the 558 would therefore be a
better choice because of my fast lenses than the 358?

Thanks for your time.
Tom (2)
Old September 11th 04, 04:47 AM
Nick Zentena

"Tom (2)" wrote:

What I need now is flash metering that either will do. But I don't
want to not get the 558 if there are features I will either use or
later learn to use. It looks like the 558 will do 1 percent spot

1 degree. I doubt if it's 1 percent.

metering which my F100 already has and I don't use much. It looks
like the 558 will fire each strobe separately which looks like I would
use. The 558 also meters at f2 at iso 100. I do use an 85mm F1.4 and
the 105mm F2 DC. Am I to assume that the 558 would therefore be a
better choice because of my fast lenses than the 358?

The 358 goes down below F/2. From glancing at the specs for the 558 the
F/2.0 they mention is for spot mode. Even then nothing stopping you from
working around that. If you really want to use F/1.4 and the meter tells you
F/2 1/250 then use F/1.4 1/500.

I have the 358 and it's a nice meter but if buying today I'd likely spring
the extra cash for the 558. It would save me buying a spot meter. If you're
100% sure you'll never want a spot meter then the 358 I think does
everything the 558 does. OTOH the difference in price won't get you a nice
spotmeter later.

Nick

Old September 11th 04, 02:39 PM
Matt Clara

"Nick Zentena" wrote in message
"Tom (2)" wrote:

[...]

There is the spotmeter attachment for the L358

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old September 11th 04, 03:41 PM
Nick Zentena

Matt Clara wrote:

There is the spotmeter attachment for the L358

Not exactly cheap and the 1 degree isn't very sensitive. EV 5? Better then
nothing but if a person intended to add the attachment to the 358 they'd be
better off getting the 558 to begin with.

Nick

Old September 11th 04, 03:54 PM
Scott M. Knowles

Nick Zentena wrote in message ...

I have the 358 and it's a nice meter but if buying today I'd likely spring
the extra cash for the 558. It would save me buying a spot meter. If you're
100% sure you'll never want a spot meter then the 358 I think does
everything the 558 does. OTOH the difference in price won't get you a nice
spotmeter later.

Nick

I don't understand, the L-358 has 1-degree, 5-degree and 10-degree
attachments available. And you still have the Pocket Wizard
capabilities.

Old September 11th 04, 04:37 PM
Nick Zentena

Scott M. Knowles wrote:

I don't understand, the L-358 has 1-degree, 5-degree and 10-degree
attachments available. And you still have the Pocket Wizard
capabilities.

The 1 degreee attachment is almost the price difference between the two
meters. OTOH you get a meter that can only handle EV5 versus one that
handles EV 1.

Nick