Greetings Cards on eBay

Old February 22nd 09, 01:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
D-Mac[_11_]

Default Greetings Cards on eBay

wrote:
Greetings,
I noticed the sale of Greeting Cards on eBay. All photos on my site
are arranged as ecards. They could be easily converted to high quality
cards on paper. I would love to sell some, but I wonder if it’s worth
the investment in glossy paper and expensive printer ink. Anyone here
with experience in this field who could advise me?
Thanks - Klaus and Rusty
www.oz-greetings.com.au
Nature & Wilderness, Quotations & Geology

A brief history of my struggle to become a postcard supplier...

Worst case:
Postcards for smaller locations. HQ Laser printed and celoglazed. Cost =
32¢ each, sale to shops 85¢ each.

Alternative 1:
9¢ each digital prints with commercially printed 'stickers" for the
back. Cost = 0.2¢ for the sticker and 10% failure rate still ends up the
cheapest way the go for small runs. Use 180 or 220 GSM stock for the
sticker.

Alternative 2:
Commercial printing in Thailand cost landed in Australia = .45¢ (less
than half a cent) each but minimum quantity over 10000 each. I just
trash any left after a few years.

I embarked on this project in 2003. Today I sell about 19,000 postcards
and 2000 calendars a year. I spent money on wire stands (made to my design).

The biggest problem I had/have is the big boys doing everything from
pouring coke over my stands to knocking them over when the stores are at
their busiest and ...getting paid.

Don't even think about ink. The cost is horrific. Cost you a minimum 38¢
each and you won't sell them at that price.

Now ...have you thought of selling BIG limited edition canvas prints?
Seriously more profitable than postcards. LE Coffee table books of
beautiful regions (well made ones) cost about $90 each and sell for at
least twice that. Find a niche and you can sell then through art
auctions in New York and London.

If you really do want advise from a seasoned battler... Not post cards, OK?

Douglas
www.auspub.com.au
Old February 24th 09, 12:40 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Art_in_MT[_2_]

Default Greetings Cards on eBay - THANK YOU

Douglas -
A big THANK YOU for the candid outline of your process and cost
structure and challenges. - You just dragged me far enough up the
learning curve to decide its not a hill I want to climb!

On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 11:27:12 +1000, D-Mac