free newsgroup service

Old October 4th 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jürgen Exner

Default free newsgroup service

Don Stauffer wrote:
Jack wrote:
Comcast has just announced that it will no longer offer free newsgroup
service as of october 25th. Can anyone reccommend a free newsgroup
service?

I know a lot of folks will scream, but the easiest to set up and use is
Google Groups. It is a web-based interface.

Well, I'm not screaming but rather crying. Because Google Groups is
web-based it is lacking pretty much any and all features of a news
reader. Heck, even OE is orders of magnitude more powerful than Google
Groups (don't take this as a compliment for OE, it isn't).

GG is ok for searching the archives. But for reading Usenet it's a crude
workaround that leaves pretty much everything to be desired.

jue
Old October 4th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen[_3_]

Don Stauffer wrote:
Jack wrote:
Comcast has just announced that it will no longer offer free newsgroup
service as of october 25th. Can anyone reccommend a free newsgroup
service?

I know a lot of folks will scream, but the easiest to set up and use is
Google Groups. It is a web-based interface. The problem is that many
spammers have used the interface to post a LOT of spam on newsgroups,
and Google has done little about it. So on some newsgroups, people will
not reply to messages posted via GG. I stopped using it because of
that. However, if you want to try it, go to Google and search "google
groups".

In my case, my ISP still leaves the news server operating, just will not
do service/support to overcome any problems that occur. So it is usable.

I tried a lot of the third party servers. I will not pay extra for
Usenet, so restricted myself to free ones, and did not find one that I
was really happy with, but I am sure I did not try anywhere near ALL of
them.

Well, as the old saying goes, "You get what you pay for".
Allen
Old October 4th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Jürgen Exner wrote:

Don Stauffer wrote:
Jack wrote:
Comcast has just announced that it will no longer offer free newsgroup
service as of october 25th. Can anyone reccommend a free newsgroup
service?

I know a lot of folks will scream, but the easiest to set up and use is
Google Groups. It is a web-based interface.

Well, I'm not screaming but rather crying. Because Google Groups is
web-based it is lacking pretty much any and all features of a news
reader. Heck, even OE is orders of magnitude more powerful than Google
Groups (don't take this as a compliment for OE, it isn't).

GG is ok for searching the archives. But for reading Usenet it's a crude
workaround that leaves pretty much everything to be desired.

Including not being seen. See sig and link.

--
Blinky
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Old October 4th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Blinky the Shark

Jürgen Exner wrote:

Don Stauffer wrote:
Jack wrote:
Comcast has just announced that it will no longer offer free newsgroup
service as of october 25th. Can anyone reccommend a free newsgroup
service?

I know a lot of folks will scream, but the easiest to set up and use is
Google Groups. It is a web-based interface.

Well, I'm not screaming but rather crying. Because Google Groups is
web-based it is lacking pretty much any and all features of a news
reader. Heck, even OE is orders of magnitude more powerful than Google
Groups (don't take this as a compliment for OE, it isn't).

GG is ok for searching the archives. But for reading Usenet it's a crude
workaround that leaves pretty much everything to be desired.

For others, see sig for a couple of good free feeds:

--
Blinky

Old October 4th 08, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Tony Cooper

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 11:25:29 -0400, lid wrote:

Jack wrote:
Comcast has just announced that it will no longer offer free newsgroup
service as of october 25th. Can anyone reccommend a free newsgroup
service?

I had to switch, and am now using free.teranews.com. There is a
negligible sign up fee of I believe $5, but otherwise free. I didn't
realize there were so many others and no idea how they compare but I'm
happy with this one so far.
Dave Cohen
** Posted from
http://www.teranews.com **

In another newsgroup that I read, several people who switched to
teranews.com dropped that service because it is undependable.

I've been using news.individual.net for several years, and willingly
pay the 10 euro a year that they charge. Never a complaint.

--
Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
Old October 5th 08, 06:45 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Bartram

"tony cooper" wrote

In another newsgroup that I read, several people who switched to
teranews.com dropped that service because it is undependable.

It does have its moments, I agree, but those are pretty rare. I paid my $5
verification fee over 5 years ago, and my account is still valid on those
occasions when my default newsfeed goes night-night. In one binary group
Telstra gives me no more than 500 headers at a time, whereas Teranews has
over 40,000 right now!

Paul