Inexplicably, Nikon, known for rapacious lens prices releases acheap 200-500mm f/5.6

Old August 4th 15, 09:58 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

Default Inexplicably, Nikon, known for rapacious lens prices releases acheap 200-500mm f/5.6

On 04/08/2015 17:06, RichA wrote:
$1400? How? If it turns out to be good, it'll be the biggest bargain they've offered.

Rumour is Tamron might have built it. I sure hope not. If they release a 24mp D400 and this lens, it would be a wildlife shooter's dream. Compact and powerful.

Fantastic and about time.
Isn't the Nikkor 10-24 DX lens made by Tamron?
Perhaps Tamron (& Sigma) proved another point - that optically very good
long "consumer" zooms can be made at a much lower price point than
anybody expected.
Nikon were really pushing it with their 80-400 AFS - with pro-level
pricing for something quite ordinary. I'd be surprised if the 200-500
is any worse in build quality, weather sealing etc.
It's a great time for Nikon DSLR owners.

Old August 5th 15, 02:26 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/4/2015 8:28 PM, RichA wrote:
On Tuesday, 4 August 2015 16:58:36 UTC-4, Me wrote:
On 04/08/2015 17:06, RichA wrote:
$1400? How? If it turns out to be good, it'll be the biggest bargain they've offered.

Rumour is Tamron might have built it. I sure hope not. If they release a 24mp D400 and this lens, it would be a wildlife shooter's dream. Compact and powerful.

Fantastic and about time.
Isn't the Nikkor 10-24 DX lens made by Tamron?
Perhaps Tamron (& Sigma) proved another point - that optically very good
long "consumer" zooms can be made at a much lower price point than
anybody expected.

I can't say it's good, because I've never used a Tamron or Sigma long-range zoom.

I tested Sigma and Tamron. Spent about two hours with each, and was not
satisfied with either. Some folks have been very happy with them. But
since I have the Nikon 80-499 and a 500 mirror. It was not worthwhile
for me to change.
YMMV

Nikon were really pushing it with their 80-400 AFS - with pro-level
pricing for something quite ordinary.

It was ridiculous. Most people made the point you just did.

I'd be surprised if the 200-500
is any worse in build quality, weather sealing etc.
It's a great time for Nikon DSLR owners.

No weather sealing, but the thing doesn't look like a 70-300mm either.

--
PeterN
Old August 5th 15, 02:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"RichA" wrote in message
On Tuesday, 4 August 2015 16:58:36 UTC-4, Me wrote:
On 04/08/2015 17:06, RichA wrote:
$1400? How? If it turns out to be good, it'll be the biggest
bargain they've offered.

Rumour is Tamron might have built it. I sure hope not. If they
release a 24mp D400 and this lens, it would be a wildlife shooter's
dream. Compact and powerful.

Fantastic and about time.
Isn't the Nikkor 10-24 DX lens made by Tamron?
Perhaps Tamron (& Sigma) proved another point - that optically very
good
long "consumer" zooms can be made at a much lower price point than
anybody expected.

I can't say it's good, because I've never used a Tamron or Sigma
long-range zoom.

Really! I've never used a D810 but I know it's a darn good camera. You
don't necessarily have to use something to know how good it is or isn't.
As someone who likes to quote dpreview at times, do a little reading in
the forums there and see how the vast majority of users are happy with
their Sigma and Tamron 150-600mm lenses. You can read some reviews too.

Old August 5th 15, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PAS
wrote:

I can't say it's good, because I've never used a Tamron or Sigma
long-range zoom.

Really! I've never used a D810 but I know it's a darn good camera. You
don't necessarily have to use something to know how good it is or isn't.

nice contradiction.

you've previously said the only way to know if sigma/foveon cameras are
any good is to use one.
Old August 5th 15, 08:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , PAS
wrote:

I can't say it's good, because I've never used a Tamron or Sigma
long-range zoom.

Really! I've never used a D810 but I know it's a darn good camera.
You
don't necessarily have to use something to know how good it is or
isn't.

nice contradiction.

you've previously said the only way to know if sigma/foveon cameras
are
any good is to use one.

Never said that. I suggested that you use one. Nice try but in typical
fashion you twist people's words.

Old August 5th 15, 08:16 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , PAS
wrote:

I can't say it's good, because I've never used a Tamron or Sigma
long-range zoom.

Really! I've never used a D810 but I know it's a darn good camera.
You
don't necessarily have to use something to know how good it is or
isn't.

nice contradiction.

you've previously said the only way to know if sigma/foveon cameras
are any good is to use one.

Never said that. I suggested that you use one. Nice try but in typical
fashion you twist people's words.

i'm not twisting anything.

why would someone need to use one to know if it's any good?

either you can tell without using or you can't. you can't have it both
ways.

the *reason* why sigma's market share is 1% is because they're garbage.
Old August 5th 15, 09:01 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PAS

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , PAS
wrote:

[...]

You lie. Your changing the subject. Off with you.

Old August 5th 15, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Me

On 06/08/2015 01:49, PAS wrote:
"RichA" wrote in message
[...]

There's an obvious issue with weather sealing and build quality with
these extending zooms, firstly that they're like bicycle pumps, air has
to get in and out, the hope is that some of the crap in the air is
filtered out by seals around the extending barrel. The other issue is a
tradeoff between general build quality and weight. I tried using a
Sigma 150-600 "S" model, and it's very heavy. I could use it hand-held
- but not for very long. I've tried the Nikkor 80-400D a couple of
times, and found them to be unacceptably soft at the long end which
bothers me even more than the slow focusing. I've tried the Nikkor
80-400 AFS which is much much better than the old model, but they are
very very expensive and are not well sealed - plenty of information out
there from people who have used them in dusty environments and had them
fill up with enough dust behind the front element for it to become a
problem for optical performance. I doubt the Nikkor 200-500 will be worse.
The Tamron 150-600 also sucks dust in - fortunately the front element
assembly is very easily removed for internal cleaning. Next time I do
it, I'll post photos/instructions to DPreview or Youtube. There is a
risk to stuff things up as shims are retained by friction only from
screws holding the element assembly to the barrel, and if they all fell
out at the same time and got mixed up on your bench, you'd have a
problem. With mine, the combined shim thickness was identical in each
of the 3 positions, but that might not be the case with other samples of
the lens where the shims may be used for centering the front elements
rather than just setting infinity focus. It's a 10-15 minute job, only
special tool needed is a torx T2 screwdriver.
It's a very plastic lens, about what I'd have expected for the price,
but feels well-enough made. If it was dropped though - I don't think the
result would be very good. I'll try out the Nikkor 200-500 when it
arrives at my local camera store.

The Tamron is extremely good up to 500mm, but at 500-600mm, then
practically achieving what it's optically capable of is a real
challenge. One issue is that at 600mm, with continuous AF-C, it will
tend to make micro focus adjustments on a static subject, enough so that
accurate focus is a lottery unless you switch to AF-S. Nikon's dumb
placement of the AF mode switch on the D8*0 makes switching between AF-S
and AF-C a hassle with a large lens used hand-held, so if you're
focus-tracking a subject, then want to zoom in when the subject stops
moving, it's less than ideal. Manual focus at the 600mm end is an
impossibility hand-held, the focus ring action is too highly geared to
make any accurate adjustment overriding AF.
Old August 6th 15, 09:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Sandman

In article , PAS wrote:

"nospam" wrote in message

nospam:
In article , PAS

RichA:
I can't say it's good, because I've never used a Tamron or
Sigma long-range zoom.

PAS:
Really! I've never used a D810 but I know it's a darn good
camera. You don't necessarily have to use something to know
how good it is or isn't.

nospam:
nice contradiction.

you've previously said the only way to know if sigma/foveon
cameras are any good is to use one.

PAS:
Never said that. I suggested that you use one. Nice try but in
typical fashion you twist people's words.

nospam:
i'm not twisting anything.

why would someone need to use one to know if it's any good?

either you can tell without using or you can't. you can't have it
both ways.

the *reason* why sigma's market share is 1% is because they're
garbage.

You lie. Your changing the subject. Off with you.

For the record, my 28mm/f1.8 Sigma is one of my favorite wide angle lenses,
really sharp and really quick focusing. Wrote about it earlier:

http://jonaseklundh.se/pages/webblog...kor_85mm_F14g?
lang=en

--
Sandman
Old August 6th 15, 01:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

On 8/5/2015 3:01 PM, PAS wrote:
"nospam" wrote in message
In article , PAS
wrote:

I can't say it's good, because I've never used a Tamron or Sigma
long-range zoom.

Really! I've never used a D810 but I know it's a darn good camera. You
don't necessarily have to use something to know how good it is or isn't.

nice contradiction.

you've previously said the only way to know if sigma/foveon cameras are
any good is to use one.

Never said that. I suggested that you use one. Nice try but in typical
fashion you twist people's words.

He does not twist words. The whole world twists the meaning of his words.
NB to nospam: I know you will reply with an obvious statement.

--
PeterN
I want to be wrong this time.