New To Digital - Online Sharing & Printing

Old February 6th 05, 10:37 AM
ScottT

Default New To Digital - Online Sharing & Printing

Thanks in advance for any help.

Here in Australia on a work assignment with my new Fuji E550 camera. Taking
some great shots on the weekends at the '12m Fine" setting and experimenting
with apeture, shutter speed, ISO, etc. In short, I'm building up a nice
library of photos. BAsed on my settings, each photo is downloading onto my
computer in JPEG format at roughly ~4 megabytes in size. I do want to keep
these large files in the event I want to print some of my shots later. At
the same time, I want to upload them to an online photo album service so I
can share them with friends and family back home. But I'd like to also use
this service for prints of my original 4+ meg files.

I've been looking at sharing services, and the best I've come up with
to-date is SmugMug.com. They have some nice options for creating albums,
etc. However, for anyone to view my 4+ meg uploaded shots, they have the
option of viewing at 'small', 'medium', 'large', or 'original'. The 'large'
viewing option reduces my 4+ meg shots to approximately 50k and shrinks them
tremendously. The 'original' option results in, obviously, a huge download
of a picture that won't fit on a monitor screen.

Is there any service (I don't mind a pay service) that will allow me to
upload my originals, to display something better than a 50k byte reduction
of that original to viewers via some type of album concept, and will allow
me to order prints based on my original 4+ meg file?

Thanks -

JD