Rear Filter for older Takumar 55mm f/3.5 ?

Old October 27th 04, 03:29 PM
Ken Smith

Default Rear Filter for older Takumar 55mm f/3.5 ?

I'm considering trying to land an affordable older 55mm f/3.5. Can any
users tell me if there is any possibility of positioning a gel filter
to the rear element, or is it a millimeter from the mirror? I guess
gels up front would be cheaper than glass. I only need a med.yellow.
and a warming filter for color.

Thanks, KAS
Old October 27th 04, 04:17 PM
jjs

"Ken Smith" wrote in message
om...
I'm considering trying to land an affordable older 55mm f/3.5. Can any
users tell me if there is any possibility of positioning a gel filter
to the rear element, or is it a millimeter from the mirror? I guess
gels up front would be cheaper than glass. I only need a med.yellow.
and a warming filter for color.

I had that lens and it was surprisingly good, although more prone to flare
than I liked before I got a good shade. Spend the bucks on a lens hood and
two good filters. Seriously, that's all you need to be happy. I forget
whether they were 100mm or 105mm filters.

Old October 27th 04, 11:19 PM
Bob Monaghan

see http://medfmt.8k.com/bronfilters.html#homebrew for tips on larger
filters (over 80mm etc.) at low cost; see also surplus shed surplus
filters in 100+ mm sizes; and notes on rear mounted filters (one issue,
focus shift ~= 1/3rd thickness of filters, so gel warming filter would be
best as thinnest etc.

hth bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
Old October 27th 04, 11:38 PM
Helge Nareid

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:17:23 -0500, "jjs" wrote:

"Ken Smith" wrote in message
. com...
I'm considering trying to land an affordable older 55mm f/3.5. Can any
users tell me if there is any possibility of positioning a gel filter
to the rear element, or is it a millimeter from the mirror? I guess
gels up front would be cheaper than glass. I only need a med.yellow.
and a warming filter for color.

I had that lens and it was surprisingly good, although more prone to flare
than I liked before I got a good shade. Spend the bucks on a lens hood and
two good filters. Seriously, that's all you need to be happy. I forget
whether they were 100mm or 105mm filters.

I used to have that lens as well. The filter size was 100mm, which is
not an easy size to find filters for, so I got myself a step-up ring
to use 105mm filters, which are somewhat easier to find (but quite
expensive). I changed the lens for a later 55mm f/4 lens which
according to my limited testing has less flare and less distortion,
and which takes 82mm filters. Still not cheap, but both cheaper and
easier to find than 100mm or 105mm filters.

Pentax used to have a gel-filter holder for the old 100mm filter size,
which would take a 3" inch square gelatin filter. It was prone to
scratching even with a gelatin filter, and would only accept the
thickness of a gelatin filter foil, which means that the new plastic
filters by Cokin, Lee and others can't be used with the holder.

I can't think of a way to attach any filter - even a thin gelatin
filter - to the rear of the lens.

--
- Helge Nareid
Nordmann i utlendighet, Aberdeen, Scotland
Old October 28th 04, 12:59 AM
jjs

"Bob Monaghan" wrote in message

see http://medfmt.8k.com/bronfilters.html#homebrew for tips on larger
filters (over 80mm etc.) at low cost; see also surplus shed surplus
filters in 100+ mm sizes; and notes on rear mounted filters (one issue,
focus shift ~= 1/3rd thickness of filters, so gel warming filter would be
best as thinnest etc.

Adding to Bob's good information - the site is www.surplusshed.com where
they had, last time I purchased, a set of filters of 4.25" diameter in red,
yellow and clear, in a wooden case for $15. They are military-spec. - very
good and also very thick.

If someone needs a filter larger than that, there is a long-established
optical glass cutter in England who will make a filter for you. They did it
for me when I needed a special 145.5mm contrast filter - something you can't
even buy at any price, at a price approximately 15% of the clear-glass
similar thing made by Pentax. Schott glass. You can't do better.

Old October 28th 04, 08:43 PM
Helge Nareid

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 23:38:01 +0100, Helge Nareid
wrote:

I changed the lens for a later 55mm f/4 lens which
according to my limited testing has less flare and less distortion,
and which takes 82mm filters.

Sorry, it's too long since I've used that lens. It takes 77mm filters.

Old October 29th 04, 09:13 PM
Ken Smith

wrote:

I changed the lens for a later 55mm f/4 lens which
according to my limited testing has less flare and less distortion,
and which takes 82mm filters.

Sorry, it's too long since I've used that lens. It takes 77mm filters.

Helge!! You need to go use that lens. Its made for Scotland.

Thanks, Ken Smith in Wyoming

P.S. dump Bush !!!