New to digital - camera recommendations?

Old December 26th 05, 06:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Default New to digital - camera recommendations?

I have been very happy with my Nikon F2, but am ready to make the switch to
digital. I'm looking for info on 2 types of cameras.

I'd like to find a good, moderately or low priced SLR with manual or auto
settings.

I'm also thinking of getting something fancier -
I'm also looking to find out about what additional features come with
digitals that can enhance photographs - compensating for lighting and such.

Any suggestions for cameras and places to buy them?

Old December 26th 05, 06:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Hope" wrote in message
I have been very happy with my Nikon F2, but am ready to make the switch to
digital. I'm looking for info on 2 types of cameras.

I'd like to find a good, moderately or low priced SLR with manual or auto
settings.

I'm also thinking of getting something fancier -
I'm also looking to find out about what additional features come with
digitals that can enhance photographs - compensating for lighting and
such.

Any suggestions for cameras and places to buy them?

A Nikon D50 is your ideal entry-level SLR with full manual control - just
like your F2. At the other end you could go for a D200 or even a D2X. You
get more pixels on those and a proper metal chassis.

Problem with Nikon is that they don't have a full-frame SLR which, the Canon
fans will tell you, is a disaster. It may be that if you have loads of 35mm
Nikon lenses but if not then it's no big deal as the modern APS
sensor-dedicated lenses are superb. And you can still use your old lenses
anyway albiet at a multiplied focal legnth.

So my recommendation is a D50 (or a second-hand D70), a D200 and whatever
lenses you want.

By the way, these will be find for architecture as you can do all your
correction using Photoshop.

The only problem you'll have is what compact to buy! If you know the answer
to that then please tell me.

Old December 26th 05, 07:06 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

Hope wrote:
I have been very happy with my Nikon F2, but am ready to make the
switch to digital. I'm looking for info on 2 types of cameras.

I'd like to find a good, moderately or low priced SLR with manual or
auto settings.

Hope,

There is an entire newsgroup devoted to digital SLRs at:

rec.photo.digital.slr-systems

It might be worth scanning through some of the discussions in progress
there.

David

Old December 26th 05, 08:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 18:17:49 GMT, Hope wrote:

I have been very happy with my Nikon F2, but am ready to make the switch to
digital. I'm looking for info on 2 types of cameras.

I'd like to find a good, moderately or low priced SLR with manual or auto
settings.

I'm also thinking of getting something fancier -

What I'd like is a D200 plus the 18-200 lens. But the weight! Maybe with
the F2 you are used to heavy cameras. I'm not. Some numbers for you:

D200 Weight (inc. batteries) 920 g (32.5 oz)
D70/D70s Weight (inc. batteries) 679 g (24 oz)
D50 Weight (inc. batteries) 620 g (21.9 oz)
18-200 lens Weight 1.2 lb (560 g)

8400 Weight (inc. batteries) 470 g (16.6 oz)
FZ30 Weight (inc. batteries) 740 g (26.1 oz)
FZ5 Weight (inc. batteries) 326 g (11.5 oz)

If you already have a Nikon external flash, then if it is new it would work
fine with the Nikon digital cameras.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old December 27th 05, 03:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital

"Hope" wrote in message
I have been very happy with my Nikon F2, but am ready to make the switch to
digital. I'm looking for info on 2 types of cameras.

I'd like to find a good, moderately or low priced SLR with manual or auto
settings.

I'm also thinking of getting something fancier -
I'm also looking to find out about what additional features come with
digitals that can enhance photographs - compensating for lighting and
such.

Any suggestions for cameras and places to buy them?

I just purchased the Nikon D50 a few weeks ago, and (so far anyway) I am
really impressed with it. (My old film camera is a Nikon FE2 fitted with a
Tamron 35-80 zoom, that I still love.) I worked my digital way up to the D50
via a Canon 2 Mpix Powershot, then a Minolta 4 Mpix Dimage S404, then a
Nikon 4 Mpix Coolpix 4300. (I'm keeping the Coolpix as an excellent
point-and-shoot camera, and also for its super short range macro capability.
I use this latter function with the Nikon ES-628 slide copying adapter to
make excellent copies of old 35-mm slides that I am restoring with Adobe
Photoshop Elememts 2.)
Jim C.