books on digital photography ?

Old July 29th 06, 11:41 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
minnesotti

Default books on digital photography ?

I am intersted to find a book on digital photography, workflow with
RAW, post-processing etc. Among other questions, I am interetsed to
learn rreplies to these:

1. How to work with Curves and Levels ? If I want a particular effect
(increase brightness/contrast/etc), what part of the curve I should
move and where ?

2. How to set the right value of gamma and other parameters when doing
RAW conversion. Profiles for my camera. sRGB and other gamut spaces.

3. How to stitch the panorama from several images.

4. How to overlay several images of the same object with the purpose to
receive the higher dyamic range.

5. How to set up a digital workflow and end up printing the
righ-quality images. And many other questions...

Recently I read someone's advice on this newsgroup to get the book by
Bruce Fraser "Real World camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS2". Today I
went to the book shop and paged through it and through other books. I
liked this particular book because the author gave a physical
explanation of why this or that should be done with the comprehensive
diagrams. I wish I could have a similar-styled book with a wider
coverage and with the deeper description.

Can you recommend a must-have book for an intermediate-level
photographer ? Thanks.

Old July 29th 06, 12:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Paul Heslop

minnesotti wrote:

[...]

..

Do you have a public library? If so you may find it useful to take a
look at what they have, see if anything fits the bill before you buy.
--
Paul (she dreams in color, she dreams in red)
Stop and Look
Old July 29th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Brian

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 11:31:44 GMT, Paul Heslop
mentioned:

minnesotti wrote:

[...]

I liked Martin Evenin's Adobe Photoshop CS2 for Photographers the best
of the bunch I looked at and am very satisfied having purchased it.

There's a lot of good stuff out on the net too. I can mention
ronbigelow.com from memory as I've found his tutorials very good, but
there's many others, most of whom post to this NG.

Brian
(for email change closed to open)
Old July 29th 06, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Charles Schuler

Find the book that matches your software. If it is Adobe CS2, then Google
the heck out of that and see what you come up with. Kelby is a decent
writer and so is Brown, if you are into Photoshop.

Old July 30th 06, 12:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
minnesotti

Charles Schuler wrote:
Find the book that matches your software. If it is Adobe CS2, then Google
the heck out of that and see what you come up with. Kelby is a decent
writer and so is Brown, if you are into Photoshop.

I am not into Photoshop. I have Photoshop 6, and I almost never use it.
There are other shareware programs out there on the Internet (which do
some functions of Photoshop), which are easier to use (than Photoshop)
and which I am using.

For example, I use SilkyPix for RAW processing, and use levels and
curves there... though they are a little more limited than those in PS.
I recently found EasyHDR which I use for combining several pictures to
increase the dynamic range (though I could not align pictures well). I
use XnView to resize the pictures. I use NoiseNinja to remove noise.
However, I am the beginner, and I do not know what is the proper
workflow (I can miss ceratain operations because I do not know about
them or I do not know how to properly do them).

Old August 5th 06, 09:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
minnesotti

minnesotti wrote:

Recently I read someone's advice on this newsgroup to get the book by
Bruce Fraser "Real World camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS2".

Yesterday I ordered this book on Amazon.com for A$50, and it will
arrive in 2-4 weeks. Today I went to the bookshop, and saw this book
for A$60. Have a made a worse deal ?

Old August 20th 06, 11:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Petri Lopia

On 2006-07-29, minnesotti wrote:
Can you recommend a must-have book for an intermediate-level
photographer ? Thanks.

My friend send this book to me:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1...lance&n=266239

And I have liked that. If possible you should check that.

--
Petri Lopia :: lid
StormChasing/Myrskynbongaus etc. Lightnings/Salamoita yms.