basic question: Super Chromega D II

Old March 17th 06, 05:21 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Default basic question: Super Chromega D II

I hope this is a simple question. I just inherited two Omega Chromega D
II enlarger heads, and I can't seem to get them to turn on. They both
behave the same way: the fan turns on, but the primary halogen lamp
doesn't light, and neither does the smaller panel light. New lamps
didn't help. I even replaced the ceramic socket and cloth-wrapped lead
wires for the lamp, but that didn't fix it either. Is there something
I am simply failing to do? Apparently both heads were working recently
so this seems strange.

thanks for any suggestions.

Old March 17th 06, 01:02 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article .com,
"bobbringas" wrote:

I hope this is a simple question. I just inherited two Omega Chromega D
II enlarger heads, and I can't seem to get them to turn on. They both
behave the same way: the fan turns on, but the primary halogen lamp
doesn't light, and neither does the smaller panel light. New lamps
didn't help. I even replaced the ceramic socket and cloth-wrapped lead
wires for the lamp, but that didn't fix it either. Is there something
I am simply failing to do? Apparently both heads were working recently
so this seems strange.

thanks for any suggestions.

Could be the power supply and the way you have it hooked up. There are
two types of power supplies, the Chromegatrol - and the Standard PS- the
standard PS requires a short cord 8" which hooks from the timer to the
PS.
--
The things we hate most in life often turn out to be a mirror image
of ourselves. Better not to hate.

Findmedirectly - "infoatgregblankphoto.com"
Old March 17th 06, 01:12 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Thanks Greg. Maybe that's it. The power supplies are the standard
ones, and I must not be using it. I have been connecting the enlarger
directly to the power supply, and the power supply to the timer. I've
been using the cord that comes out of the PS to connect to the timer.
It looks like a standard heavy duty three-pronged power cord, and it is
more like 3 feet than 8". How would the special 8" cord fit into this
picture?

Old March 17th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article .com,
"bobbringas" wrote:

Specifically, I am using the Omega Standard Power Supply, with the
Omega Voltage Stabilizer plugged into the back. I am plugging the head
into the Voltage Stabilizer, and I am plugging the Power Supply into
the timer. How does the special cord fit into this picture? Or am I
missing anything else?

I thought maybe I have a faulty power supply, but they are both
behaving the same way, so I thought that would be too coincidental.
They both were reently working.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

I am not at Omega today so I can only recall but the enlarger goes
to the VS, the PS long cord to the wall the short cord goes from the
PS to the timer "I think" call Omega customer support 800-777-6634
there is a diagram they can refer to.

Old March 17th 06, 04:35 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

Thanks so much! It's so cool to find you here on this list. I
actually called Omega this morning and your receptionist told me that
you were the person I should talk to but you weren't in the office
today. I can't believe I found the exact person I needed to talk to
here. The receptionist faxed me your diagram, and indeed, I had
plugged the power supply in wrong. Thanks so much for your help!

Old March 17th 06, 09:12 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

bobbringas wrote:
Specifically, I am using the Omega Standard Power Supply, with the
Omega Voltage Stabilizer plugged into the back. I am plugging the head
into the Voltage Stabilizer, and I am plugging the Power Supply into
the timer. How does the special cord fit into this picture? Or am I
missing anything else?

I thought maybe I have a faulty power supply, but they are both
behaving the same way, so I thought that would be too coincidental.
They both were reently working.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

You can find "assembly" diagrams for the head, power supply, stabilizer
and timer at:

http://www.legacy-photo.com/pdf/equi...ega/ome_d2.pdf
Old March 18th 06, 06:43 AM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006 21:12:43 GMT, Michael Gudzinowicz
wrote:

I thought maybe I have a faulty power supply, but they are both
behaving the same way, so I thought that would be too coincidental.
They both were reently working.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

You can find "assembly" diagrams for the head, power supply, stabilizer
and timer at:

http://www.legacy-photo.com/pdf/equi...ega/ome_d2.pdf

Thanks Mike. I'm glad my links are working ;)

==
John S. Douglas
Photographer & Webmaster
www.legacy-photo,com
www.xs750.net
Old March 18th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

An update.... After following the diagram things started to happen.
But there was a bigger problem with the head I was testing on.... I
started smelling the fait odor of something burning, traced it to the
power supply, and then as I was moving it, I noticed the enlarger lamp
finally turned on. That was exciting. Then I realized there were blue
arcing sparks coming from inside the plug that connects the head to the
voltage stabilizer. I took it apart, and there is a loose connection.
There is a metal wire joining two of the prongs and that was not
soldered well. I'll fix that. But the other enlarger head is now
working. Thanks again.

Old March 18th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

I have worked on many of these heads and power supplies.

In addition to the advice offered her you need to assure your self that
the neutral and hot wires are not crossed. Omega, and Beseler too, are
simply unable to follow the National Electrical Code when designing and
building their products.

The neutral (white) and the hot lead (black) are also connected to the
transformer and are frequently crossed.

Also determine that the ground is carried throughout on the proper
pins.

Bob AZ

Old March 18th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.photo.darkroom

In article . com,
"Bob AZ" wrote:

, are
simply unable to follow the National Electrical Code when designing and
building their products.

Aside from the users that feel compelled to tamper with wiring they
don't understand