Taking pics of white cats

Old November 3rd 05, 08:27 PM

Default Taking pics of white cats

I have a very fluffy and VERY white Persian.

Outdoor pics of my cat with Coolpix 5700 are pretty good.

Indoor pics with the built-in flash always show the cat very
over-exposed (all solid white except the eyes).

The Coolpix has Exposure Compensation button that goes from -2.0 to
+2.0EV. I played with it but it doesn't seem to work right since I'm
not sure it knows about the flash.

Is there a better way of taking indoor pics of bright white subjects
like my cat?

Thanks
Ron

Old November 4th 05, 08:47 AM
Randy Berbaum

wrote:
: I have a very fluffy and VERY white Persian.

: Outdoor pics of my cat with Coolpix 5700 are pretty good.

: Indoor pics with the built-in flash always show the cat very
: over-exposed (all solid white except the eyes).

: The Coolpix has Exposure Compensation button that goes from -2.0 to
: +2.0EV. I played with it but it doesn't seem to work right since I'm
: not sure it knows about the flash.

: Is there a better way of taking indoor pics of bright white subjects
: like my cat?

I have taken a few photos of a friends all white persian. Various
techniques work on different photos. One shot came out by simply turning
my external flash straight up and doing a bounce flash off the white
ceiling. Other images I have skipped the flash alltogether and, after a
white balance adjustment, taking the photo with ambient lighting. One
thing that helped in the latter photo was that I used spot metering and
set the metering circle solidly on the most white, well lit portion of the
subject cat. Once the metering was completed, and holding the
"half-press", I repositioned the aim to make the best composition and
snapped the image.

Several photos came out but my personal favorite was one that, with a
little cropping, gave me an image that enhanced the "reclining budda"
resemblance. One hint, when you are attempting to catch an all white
critter it helps to have a contrasting, but not severely contrasting,
background. And you want to be as close as possible with the highest
resolution possible so you can capture the subtle shading differences in
the fur. This helps bring more definition to your subject.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Old November 4th 05, 07:04 PM
Måns Rullgård

Randy Berbaum writes:

One thing that helped in the latter photo was that I used spot
metering and set the metering circle solidly on the most white, well
lit portion of the subject cat. Once the metering was completed, and
holding the "half-press", I repositioned the aim to make the best
composition and snapped the image.

When doing this, be sure to check how the camera operates. Some
cameras have separate buttons for exposure lock and focus lock. Some
have no way at all of locking exposure.

--
Måns Rullgård

Old November 4th 05, 07:07 PM
Måns Rullgård

Ron Hunter writes:

put the cat

Ever tried that? The OP's cat is a Persian, so it might possibly
work. Other cats are sure to have a second opinion on where to sit.

--
Måns Rullgård