B&H and Adorama Closed!

Old October 23rd 05, 01:06 AM
Peter Irwin

Default B&H and Adorama Closed!

none wrote:
John A. Stovall wrote:
If Freedom means anything it should mean an employer can hire who ever
he want's and the market will decide if he made the correct choice.

Personally, I do not believe that libertarianism can be justified. In
any case, hiring discrimination is against the law, so it is a
reasonable concern, even if you disagree with the law's intentions.

I think it quite likely that the bias is not on
the employers' side at all. If a business is well known
to keep Jewish holidays, then a large number people who
take Jewish holidays seriously will have a strong motivation
to work there. Thus the pool of applicants may be heavily
biased towards observant Jews, and so no hiring bias is
necessary in order to have a large number of observant Jews
working there.

Peter.

Old October 23rd 05, 01:12 AM
Annika1980

That's the problem with stereotypes and profiles. They allow one
to make jump to conclusions that are flat-out wrong.

That reminds me of the elderly Jewish man who was struck by a cab in
NYC. A cop nearby saw the hit and run and attempted to comfort the old
man as he lay in the street. While waiting on the ambulance to arrive,
the cop tried engaging the old man in conversation so he wouldn't pass
out.

The cop asked, "So tell me, what business are you in, sir?"
The old man replied, "I own a jewelry business across the street."

Seeing the old man's pain, the police officer then took off his own
jacket and placed it under the old man's head.
"Are you comfortable?" the cop asked.

"Eh, it's a living," the old man replied.

Old October 23rd 05, 01:24 AM
Nikon User

Default I like B&H, but......

In article ,
"Neil Harrington" wrote:

I have never heard a Jew complain about Christians that close their
businesses on Sundays.

Ever heard of Christians closing their businesses for several days or
a week at a time, for religious reasons?

Several days, yes; a week, no.

But normally, businesses owned by observant Jews are closed for the two
days of Rosh Hashannah and the day of Yom Kippur, but are open during
the week in between. If a business closes for the entire period, it's
still only a week and a half, not for most of the month as some people
here have said.

And if they do close for that entire ten-day period, what is the big
deal?

This is not like "blue laws" where the *government* *forces* the
businesses to close.
Old October 23rd 05, 01:34 AM
ASAAR

On 22 Oct 2005 17:12:44 -0700, Annika1980 wrote:

"Are you comfortable?" the cop asked.

It just happened that that line was at the bottom of my
newsreader's window. But before I scrolled down for the rest, I
*knew* what the next line would be, thanks to an uncle with a near
limitless supply of those oldies. I think he said "Eh, I make a
living.", as he'd turn his two hands palms up, tilt his head and
shrug his shoulders just the right way. g

Old October 23rd 05, 01:58 AM

ASAAR wrote:
On 22 Oct 2005 13:46:46 -0700, wrote:

Succoth, First days of Passover) and Sabbath (Saturday) regardless of
if he has non-Jewish
help. They are still making money for him.

Crap...

The last time I went to the Phot Expo, there were two guys advertising
for B&H. They weren't selling anything, but they were *working*(which
is supposed to be against orthodox beliefs).

They may not have been directly hired by B&H. There may have been
an ad agency involved, so they'd be working for the agency, not for
B&H. I occasionally hear B&H ads on the radio. I suppose I'll now
be inclined to notice on which days of the week they appear. B&H
does advertise in magazines, and it would be unreasonable to think
they'd consider prohibiting newstands from selling magazines
containing their ads on Saturdays and religious holidays.

Crap...

Newsstands sell magazines for their own benefit. They don't work or
B&H. And it is irrelevant whose ads are in the mags.

As for what I saw at the Photo Expo. I'm pretty sure that one of those
guys works(or worked) in the section upstairs where they sell used
equipment.

But it makes no difference, because orthodox "law" doesn't allow for
*anyone* to work on your behalf directly or indirectly.

And it's a moot point anyway because they were handing out B&H flyers
at the B&H booth. That was no ad agency.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old October 23rd 05, 02:00 AM
Don Wiss

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:24:32 -0700, Nikon User wrote:

But normally, businesses owned by observant Jews are closed for the two
days of Rosh Hashannah and the day of Yom Kippur, but are open during
the week in between. If a business closes for the entire period, it's
still only a week and a half, not for most of the month as some people
here have said.

All businesses are open for the week in between Rosh Hashannah and the day
of Yom Kippur. The holiday that is going on now is Sukkos, which all
observe the first and last days, and most, but not all, don't work on the
days in between.

Don www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
Old October 23rd 05, 03:18 AM
Neil Harrington

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in message
Per Neil Harrington:
"shabbos goy"

A guy straight from the shetel was staying with a relative in New York
City.

"How many Jews do you have in New York?"

"Two million"

"Oy!"

"How many gentiles do you have in New York?

"Ten Million"

"Ten *Million*"????

"Yes, ten million".

"But what *for*?"
--
PeteCresswell

:-)

Old October 23rd 05, 03:34 AM
Neil Harrington

"Nikon User" wrote in message
"Neil Harrington" wrote:

I have never heard a Jew complain about Christians that close their
businesses on Sundays.

Ever heard of Christians closing their businesses for several days or
a week at a time, for religious reasons?

Several days, yes; a week, no.

What sort of business would close for several days?

I am not religious and had to look this up on Google: The holiest week for
Christians, particularly Catholics, is called ahem Holy Week. It's the
last week of Lent and includes some holy days that I never heard of before
(and I was born and raised Catholic). The only one of those days that's
actually observed as a holiday, anywhere, as far as I know, is Good Friday.
I live in one of the few states that observes Good Friday as a state holiday
(lots of Catholics here). I don't know of a single *business* that closes on
Good Friday, though there may be some for all I know, but state employees
and perhaps municipal workers get the day off or comp time.

But normally, businesses owned by observant Jews are closed for the two
days of Rosh Hashannah and the day of Yom Kippur, but are open during
the week in between. If a business closes for the entire period, it's
still only a week and a half, not for most of the month as some people
here have said.

And if they do close for that entire ten-day period, what is the big
deal?

Other than inconveniencing customers, you mean?

This is not like "blue laws" where the *government* *forces* the
businesses to close.

Right. But there aren't any blue laws that force businesses to close for
several days or a week or more, so that's not a very helpful comparison.