B&H and Adorama Closed!

Old October 22nd 05, 09:41 PM
Neil Harrington

Default I like B&H, but......

"Jeremy" wrote in message
news:CFw6f.2161$HW5.2011@trnddc04...
[ . . . ]

I have never heard a Jew complain about Christians that close their
businesses on Sundays.

Ever heard of Christians closing their businesses for several days or a week
at a time, for religious reasons?

And I have never heard a Gentile complain that Jews keep their businesses
open on Sundays, either.

???
Why would anyone complain that the store he wants to do business with is
OPEN?

Really, who cares about petty stuff like that.

The OP apparently wanted to buy stuff at one of the big camera stores while
he was in New York for the day, and then had to go back to Ireland. In the
same circumstances I'd be ****ed myself, and probably you would too. It
wasn't a national holiday or anything like that, and who (other than a Jew)
knows or cares when the Jewish holidays are?

Old October 22nd 05, 09:46 PM

Default B&H and Adorama Closed!

Steven Wandy wrote:
All to do with a Jewish holiday, I understand. Surely they have enough
non-Jewish employees to cater for the rest of us?

It has nothing to do with the amount of non-Jewish employees. If the owner
is Jewish,
he is not supposed to conduct business (interpret this as make money) on
some of the
more important holidays (Rosh Hashanah, Yom Kippur, First and last days of
Succoth, First days of Passover) and Sabbath (Saturday) regardless of if he
has non-Jewish
help. They are still making money for him.

Crap...

The last time I went to the Phot Expo, there were two guys advertising
for B&H. They weren't selling anything, but they were *working*(which
is supposed to be against orthodox beliefs).

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Old October 22nd 05, 11:01 PM

"carrigman" wrote:

All to do with a Jewish holiday, I understand. Surely they have enough
non-Jewish employees to cater for the rest of us? I didn't see any other
major New York stores closed for religious reasons and I think it is
outrageous for these two firms to treat its customers like this.

I'm sure they are willing to NOT have you as a customer.

Wes
Old October 22nd 05, 11:57 PM
ASAAR

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:59:25 GMT, none wrote:

Personally, I would be more concerned about their hiring practices,
which seem like they might be discriminatory on the basis of both
ethnicity and religion. I have not met every B&H employee, but it does
seem like all of their employees are Hasidic Jews.

That's the problem with stereotypes and profiles. They allow one
to make jump to conclusions that are flat-out wrong. Of course I
may be doing the same, as I assume that the very nice black employee
that helped me a couple of months ago wasn't a Hasidic Jew. I think
there are also one or two oriental employees, and a number of others
that don't wear traditional Hasidic garb.

Old October 23rd 05, 12:28 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

"carrigman" writes:

I'm just back from a trip to New York City where high on my agenda was a
visit to B&H to buy a Canon lens. Off I went one morning only to find the
store closed for the week. No word of explanation. No matter, there was
always Adorama. So I hightailed it down to West 18th Street only to find
myself, together with a bunch of other bemused photographers, staring at
shuttered windows and a notice saying they too were closed for the week!

All to do with a Jewish holiday, I understand. Surely they have enough
non-Jewish employees to cater for the rest of us? I didn't see any other
major New York stores closed for religious reasons and I think it is
outrageous for these two firms to treat its customers like this.

I ran into that one year, phone order not in person (it was
pre-internet). I had let the time slip so far that I had to buy my
N90 from Beach Camera (back when they were the third good mail order
store). I just wrote it off to my own poor planning (because I did
know that B&H was run by orthodox Jews and tended to close for Jewish
holidays; for that matter, at least then they closed early Friday and
weren't open Saturday, either, but they were open Sunday).

It's inconvenient sometimes, since even roughly when those holidays
occur isn't deeply embedded into my consciousness and they manage to
take me by surprise now and then. I don't know why, but I end up
feeling *happy* that they take this approach. That's really weird,
since I'm basically opposed to religion in all its forms.
Old October 23rd 05, 12:46 AM
Rich

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 19:45:38 GMT, "Jeremy" wrote:

"Bill in Alexandria" BMcGovernWITHOUT wrote in message
I am sympathetic to John's disappointment.

If New York City is, what, only 25% Jewish, you'd think a big
company like B&H would have enough trustworthy and competent staff to
serve its broader customer base.

On the other hand, B&H is not alone. My son tells me that the A&P
grocery store across the river in Hoboken closes on Saturday noon before
Easter, and doesn't open again until Monday morning. You'd think that the
only large grocery store in the little trendy town would want to better
serve its customer base.

Since I like B&H, I would be VERY disappointed if I made an effort
to go there only to find it closed--for me, sometimes it's years between
visits to NYC.

Bill

"carrigman" wrote in message
I'm just back from a trip to New York City where high on my agenda was a
visit to B&H to buy a Canon lens. Off I went one morning only to find the
store closed for the week. No word of explanation. No matter, there was
always Adorama. So I hightailed it down to West 18th Street only to find
myself, together with a bunch of other bemused photographers, staring at
shuttered windows and a notice saying they too were closed for the week!

All to do with a Jewish holiday, I understand. Surely they have enough
non-Jewish employees to cater for the rest of us? I didn't see any other
major New York stores closed for religious reasons and I think it is
outrageous for these two firms to treat its customers like this.

Here in Pennsylvania, only 60 miles from Philadelphia, in Lancaster County,
the Amish and Mennonite business owners never do business on Sundays, and
they close even on such religious holidays as Good Friday and Ascension
Thursday! I admit to having been somewhat startled about the Ascension
Thursday closings, but that is their right, and they owe no one anything in
the way of compensation. For a customer to go about complaining on the
Internet--to a potential worldwide audience--is not only inappropriate, but
it is a display of contempt for the religious traditions of others.

I have never heard a Jew complain about Christians that close their
businesses on Sundays.

The reason that businesses started opening on Sundays about
20 years ago was because of complaints that it was religion-based
and it was interferring with other people's lives.
Who do you think did most of the complaining? It wasn't the
Catholics. Now, most people don't care, because of busy lifestyles.
-Rich
Old October 23rd 05, 12:48 AM
Rich

On Sat, 22 Oct 2005 14:39:43 -0600, "Steve Wolfe"
wrote:

If New York City is, what, only 25% Jewish, you'd think a big
company like B&H would have enough trustworthy and competent staff to
serve its broader customer base.

On the other hand, B&H is not alone. My son tells me that the A&P
grocery store across the river in Hoboken closes on Saturday noon before
Easter, and doesn't open again until Monday morning. You'd think that the
only large grocery store in the little trendy town would want to better
serve its customer base.

It's a free market. If they're treating their customers that badly,
someone else can waltz right in and take a portion of their business. If
that hasn't happened, then either nobody has seen the opportunity, or their
customers really don't mind that much.

steve

Mostly because it doesn't happen in key buying seasons. Many stores
lose business because some open on Boxing Day and even Christmas.
People will shop all the time, if given the chance because of
convenience.
-Rich