Wide angle lenses for RBs

Old March 9th 04, 01:49 AM
Idolize55

Default Wide angle lenses for RBs

Before I ask my questions I just want to say that I've only used/owned a 90mm
lens and an extention tube so far for my RB, so I'm not too experienced with
any other RB lenses:

I was wondering how much of a difference there would be between a 50mm and a
37mm lens. I've played around a little with a 50mm and noticed there wasn't too
much distortion unless you went above or below the horizon line. I actually
like the distortion, but don't feel like paying over $800 for a good fisheye
lens. The store that lets me play around with the lenses didn't have any
fisheye lenses at that time, so I'm not sure how much of a difference there is
between the two.

I'm starting out in commercial photography but I need to be choosey when it
comes to making a decision about something like this because I have, after all,
spent a lot of money on software, computers, a printer, strobes, etc. etc. So
far everything I've shot hasn't required a wide angle lens, but I thought it
was time to augment my 'arsenal', if you will.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old March 9th 04, 03:28 AM
Bob Monaghan

greetings! ;-)

some options come to mind. Try renting esp. over a weekend (often cheaper)
and see where and how you might or would (or would not) be able to use the
w.a. in your photography. At the least, you would learn you don't like or
need it, and still have a few shots for your portfolio ;-)

see http://medfmt.8k.com/bronlensenvy.html on a simple measuring tape and
slide trick that lets you visualize what different lenses will do for you,
before buying. This is a great way to also walk around and practice
composition, for free, without shooting any film. You will quickly see if
you also need a particular telephoto in your kit, if the normal lens you
have is a good match for your "vision" and needs, and so on. You can also
see how small a difference 150mm vs. 180mm makes, and which you like
better etc. ;-)

finally, keep in mind these lenses are pretty depreciated already; you can
probably buy and sell them in the next year without losing more than a few
weekends cost in rentals.

However, to paraphrase Roger Hicks (The Lens Book), professionals only buy
lenses that they know they need often enough to make it worth the
investment. It is we amateurs who buy up a lot of lenses for the fun of it
;-0 ;-)

grins bobm
* Robert Monaghan POB 752182 Southern Methodist Univ. Dallas Tx 75275 *
********************Standard Disclaimers Apply*************************
Old March 9th 04, 07:24 AM
Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee

Practically 50 is wide enough for RB. I have one. In fact I have a Mamiya 6
outfit with one as well.

Fisheyes you will too seldom use.
I hate the effect of them myself.

Old March 9th 04, 01:49 PM
Bandicoot

"Gearóid Ó Laoi/Garry Lee" wrote in message
Practically 50 is wide enough for RB. I have one. In fact I have a Mamiya

6
outfit with one as well.

Fisheyes you will too seldom use.
I hate the effect of them myself.

Second that. I use a 50mm on 6x6 and it's a nice length (width?) and also a
47mm with 6x7 and 6x8 - slightly wider, but also nice on the 67 size. I
have a 30mm fisheye for 6x6 and it's a good tool, but nowhere near as useful
as a 50.

For the RB, get the 50, and hire a fisheye when and if you (ever) need one.

Peter

Old March 9th 04, 09:55 PM
Idolize55

Well, keep in mind I also have an extension tube. Do you think it will take the
extreme fisheye effect away if I use the exention tube with it, or is the curve
of the glass going to keep the extreme "curve"?

Old March 10th 04, 05:20 PM
Bandicoot

"Idolize55" wrote in message

[SNIP]

I use a 50mm on 6x6 and it's a nice length (width?) and also a
47mm with 6x7 and 6x8 - slightly wider, but also nice on the 67
size. I have a 30mm fisheye for 6x6 and it's a good tool, but
nowhere near as useful as a 50.

For the RB, get the 50, and hire a fisheye when and if you (ever)
need one.

Well, keep in mind I also have an extension tube. Do you think it
will take the extreme fisheye effect away if I use the exention tube
with it, or is the curve of the glass going to keep the extreme
"curve"?

Not sure I see what you're getting at here. An extension tube won't change
things appreciably - it is for close focus, not to change the angle of view,
and with it attached you will no longer have infinity focus (though using
one with a fisheye you will get extreme magnification for some - possibly
rather weird - close up effects.)

A teleconverter would reduce the angle of view, but the curvature would
still exist. Also, TCs aren't designed for use with wide angle lenses, so I
suspect the quality would be pretty low. Could be an entertaining
experiment, but not a substitute for getting a good wideangle in the first
place.

You will find a lot of use for a 50mm in commercial photography - and much,
much less for the 37mm fisheye, fun though it is.

Peter

Old March 11th 04, 07:57 PM
Matt Clara

"Idolize55" wrote in message
[...]

While not very wide, the 65mm C is a fine, sharp lens that allows nearly 1:1
reproduction all by itself (focuses just 3.5 inches away!). With extension
rings you could do some amazing macro work, though the working distance
might be problematic!
Here's an image I took with the 65c:
http://www.shuttercity.com/ShowPhoto.cfm?PhotoID=71646

Matt Clara
www.mattclara.com

Old March 11th 04, 11:25 PM
Dan Fromm

(Bob Monaghan) wrote in message ...
[...]

Off topic and all that, Bob, but one of your computers (or someone
pretending to be you) sent me an e-mail message with a virus today.
It wouldn't hurt to check that your machines are clean.

Cheers, regrets,

Dan