fujifilm s2pro CCD failed - fixed outside of warranty

Old June 12th 05, 12:16 AM
Scott Cadzow

Default fujifilm s2pro CCD failed - fixed outside of warranty

Just got my s2pro camera back from Fujufilm Australia.

The CCD suddenly failed after less than 6000 photos.
My previous (consumer) digital camera lasted over 15000 pics.
Looking at dpreview and google, this appears to be a known problem.

They replaced my faulty CCD 5 months outside of warranty for free!
They also cleaned, adjusted and replaced broken lugs for just AUS $90.

Congrats to the fantastic *******s at Fujifilm Australia for their excellent
customer service.

I am now confident about purchasing the s3 as they look after their
professional
users (not that I'm professional) and this time with an extended warranty...

Scott.

Old June 12th 05, 09:08 PM
Pete D

"Scott Cadzow" wrote in message

Just got my s2pro camera back from Fujufilm Australia.

The CCD suddenly failed after less than 6000 photos.
My previous (consumer) digital camera lasted over 15000 pics.
Looking at dpreview and google, this appears to be a known problem.

They replaced my faulty CCD 5 months outside of warranty for free!
They also cleaned, adjusted and replaced broken lugs for just AUS $90.

Congrats to the fantastic *******s at Fujifilm Australia for their
excellent
customer service.

I am now confident about purchasing the s3 as they look after their
professional
users (not that I'm professional) and this time with an extended
warranty...

Scott.

Thats good but, wouldn't you have preferred that it did not fail? How long
before the S3 fails and is in the repair shop for a month or two. I assume
you have Nikon glass, have you considered one of the Nikons in the range or
perhaps the D100 replacement (whatever, whenever that will be)?

Old June 13th 05, 12:43 AM
Scott Cadzow

Scott Cadzow wrote:
[...]
They replaced my faulty CCD 5 months outside of warranty for free!
They also cleaned, adjusted and replaced broken lugs for just AUS $90.
[...]

Pete D wrote: Thats good but, wouldn't you have preferred that it did not
fail? How long before the S3 fails and is in the repair shop for a month
or two. I assume you have Nikon glass, have you considered one of the
Nikons in the range or perhaps the D100 replacement (whatever, whenever
that will be)?

Yes, I'm invested in Nikon glass.

Also looking at the D70 which appears to be popular. I've had a play with
the s3 which is impressive. However, I wish fuji increased their flash sync
speed for hand-held shots on a longer lens.

My next camera is 18 months off so I may be looking at the s4 or D200.

Scott

---------
Please remove SPLINTER for reply.

Old June 13th 05, 02:15 AM
Pete D

"Scott Cadzow" wrote in message
Scott Cadzow wrote:
[...]
They replaced my faulty CCD 5 months outside of warranty for free!
They also cleaned, adjusted and replaced broken lugs for just AUS $90.
[...]

Pete D wrote: Thats good but, wouldn't you have preferred that it did not
fail? How long before the S3 fails and is in the repair shop for a month
or two. I assume you have Nikon glass, have you considered one of the
Nikons in the range or perhaps the D100 replacement (whatever, whenever
that will be)?

Yes, I'm invested in Nikon glass.

Also looking at the D70 which appears to be popular. I've had a play with
the s3 which is impressive. However, I wish fuji increased their flash
sync
speed for hand-held shots on a longer lens.

My next camera is 18 months off so I may be looking at the s4 or D200.

Personally I find the D70 a disapointment in a couple of areas, the D70s is
better as it now has a wired remote release but I think it still does not do
mirror lock up. Still being a 6MP it may not be any improvement, the S2
is/was very good if a bit on the heavy side.

Old June 13th 05, 03:25 AM
John Phillips

On Mon, 13 Jun 2005, at 09:43:08 [GMT +1000] (09:43:08 Monday, 13 June 2005
where I live) "Scott Cadzow" wrote:

My next camera is 18 months off so I may be looking at the s4 or D200.

How about the D2X?

--
I know so little, but I know it fluently.

Old June 13th 05, 03:11 PM
Scott Cadzow

[...]

Pete D wrote:

Personally I find the D70 a disapointment in a couple of areas, the D70s
is better as it now has a wired remote release but I think it still does
not do mirror lock up. Still being a 6MP it may not be any improvement,
the S2 is/was very good if a bit on the heavy side.

I don't mind the extra weight and size. The s3 is even heavier/bigger than
the s2. I like the built-in verticle grip and the advertised extra CCD
technology to help improve highlight detail. Don't know if it has mirror
lock up.

When I visited my local fuji office to fix my s2, the guy asked me if I
wanted
to see his s3. I said yes. He then went to the hot boot of his car to grab
his
camera that had been sitting there all morning (and possibly all week).
Ouch.

Scott

---------
Please remove SPLINTER for reply.

Old June 13th 05, 10:03 PM
Pete D

Pete D wrote:

Personally I find the D70 a disapointment in a couple of areas, the D70s
is better as it now has a wired remote release but I think it still does
not do mirror lock up. Still being a 6MP it may not be any improvement,
the S2 is/was very good if a bit on the heavy side.

I don't mind the extra weight and size. The s3 is even heavier/bigger than
the s2. I like the built-in verticle grip and the advertised extra CCD
technology to help improve highlight detail. Don't know if it has mirror
lock up.

When I visited my local fuji office to fix my s2, the guy asked me if I
wanted
to see his s3. I said yes. He then went to the hot boot of his car to grab
his
camera that had been sitting there all morning (and possibly all week).
Ouch.

My only experience with the S2 was a ten day event last year, was not happy
with auto settings but used manually I got some great results, this was all
for publishing in a newspaper so was mostly B&Wbut did include concerts at
night, etc.