Implications of Nikons new lenses

Old April 23rd 05, 03:52 AM
Scott Peterson

Default Implications of Nikons new lenses

I'm trying to figure out exactly where Nikon is positioning their new
DX lenses in relation to the existing ones.

We've got the 18-70 f3.5-4.5g kit lens for the D70 which has gotten
very good reviews

We now have the 18-55 f3.5-5.6g which is going to be the kit lens on
the D50 and looks like it's main selling point is that it's small with
the sown side that at 5.6 it's relatively slow for a prime lens.

And, as a distant third we have the 17-55 f2.8 which seems to have the
same relationship to the 18-70 as the 17-35mm f2.8 has compared to
the. 18-35 f3.5-4.5 in film cameras. Pro vs. amateur and that constant
f-stop adds about $1,000 to the cost. But everyone says it's a great
lens.

That 55-200 sounds like it's going to be a real winner, though.

Any thoughts?

Scott Peterson

--
A king has no proper business with reforming.
His best policy is to keep things as they are; and

17/611
Old April 23rd 05, 05:28 AM
Stacey

Scott Peterson wrote:

That 55-200 sounds like it's going to be a real winner, though.

If it's anything like the 50-200 ZD f2.8-3.5, it will be.

--

Stacey
Old April 23rd 05, 01:20 PM
Randy W. Sims

Scott Peterson wrote:
I'm trying to figure out exactly where Nikon is positioning their new
DX lenses in relation to the existing ones.

We've got the 18-70 f3.5-4.5g kit lens for the D70 which has gotten
very good reviews

We now have the 18-55 f3.5-5.6g which is going to be the kit lens on
the D50 and looks like it's main selling point is that it's small with
the sown side that at 5.6 it's relatively slow for a prime lens.

And, as a distant third we have the 17-55 f2.8 which seems to have the
same relationship to the 18-70 as the 17-35mm f2.8 has compared to
the. 18-35 f3.5-4.5 in film cameras. Pro vs. amateur and that constant
f-stop adds about $1,000 to the cost. But everyone says it's a great
lens.

That 55-200 sounds like it's going to be a real winner, though.

I think they were mainly developed to sell the D50. Nikon needed an
inexpensive but decent lens to keep the price of the D50 low, so they
used the same tactic as Canon, placing a inexpensive lens on the camera.
They also need a add-on lens that will give users the reach of many of
the prosumer cameras in the same price range as the D50. That's where
the 55-200 fits in. They look to be mid-range lenses meant for a
mid-range camera.