hdr question

Old July 4th 15, 02:56 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
PeterN[_6_]

Default hdr question

This was a 5 exposure HDR, converted to BW. The HDR rendition and the BW
conversion were done using NIK software. No other modifications were
made. I cannot undertand why the vertical post on the door is so blurry,
compared to the ret of the image. What did I misss?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150703_Amish_0105_HDR.jpg

thanks

--
PeterN
Old July 4th 15, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 21:56:11 -0400, PeterN
wrote:

This was a 5 exposure HDR, converted to BW. The HDR rendition and the BW
conversion were done using NIK software. No other modifications were
made. I cannot undertand why the vertical post on the door is so blurry,
compared to the ret of the image. What did I misss?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150703_Amish_0105_HDR.jpg

Something appears to have gone very wrong. The whole image looks
blurry to me, but it looks like a multiple exposure in general. I
don't know if I'm seeing moire, or something else. Did the camera move
between exposures? Or did something else change? Did you use a tripod?

Then again, I'm sure others here will have a better analysis.
Old July 4th 15, 03:23 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
PeterN[_6_]

wrote:

This was a 5 exposure HDR, converted to BW. The HDR rendition and the BW
conversion were done using NIK software. No other modifications were
made. I cannot undertand why the vertical post on the door is so blurry,
compared to the ret of the image. What did I misss?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150703_Amish_0105_HDR.jpg

Something appears to have gone very wrong. The whole image looks
blurry to me, but it looks like a multiple exposure in general. I
don't know if I'm seeing moire, or something else. Did the camera move
between exposures? Or did something else change? Did you use a tripod?

Then again, I'm sure others here will have a better analysis.

I was trying hand held. I know I should not have been too lazy to get a
tripod. I also want to test the ghost reduction. Does the tractor look
blurry?

--
PeterN
Old July 4th 15, 04:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital, alt.photography
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 3, 2015, PeterN wrote
(in ):

This was a 5 exposure HDR, converted to BW. The HDR rendition and the BW
conversion were done using NIK software. No other modifications were
made. I cannot undertand why the vertical post on the door is so blurry,
compared to the ret of the image. What did I misss?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150703_Amish_0105_HDR.jpg

thanks

There is an alignment issue. It is not just the vertical post which is
blurry.
Since you are using NIK HDR Efex Pro 2 I am going to ask if you did a few
things along the way.
1: When the initial “Create HDR” window opens you should see 5 thumb nail
images across the top. These are the “Ghost Reference Images” you can
select any of them, but usually you are looking for the one which excludes
any unwanted intruders.

2: Make sure the “Alignment” check box on the right is checked.

3: “Ghost Reduction Strength” can be adjusted depending on the level of
ghosting. More is not always better.

4. For the CA correction take a look at the high contrast margins and adjust
the sliders.

Personally I have moved all of my HDR needs to Lightroom CC where it isn’t
necessary to shoot an exposure bracket. Therefore all the alignment and ghost
issues are eliminated. Also the results are very untypical of HDR of old. If
you want the tone mapped look it is best to stick with NIK HDR Pro, or take
the LR processed image into NIK Color Efex Pro (Tonal Contrast).

....but I digress. In LR select an imported RAW file, (NEF or DNG). Without
making any adjustments create a virtual copy With the original in the develop
module open the Basic panel and move the exposure slider to -3.00. Then
select the virtual copy and in the Basic panel move the exposure slider to
+3.00.
Select both the exposure adjusted original and virtual copy by Cmnd+click on
both then right click on the highlighted pair and select “Photo
Merge”-HDR. The dialog will open and since you are working from a single
exposure not a multi-exposure auto ghost removal and alignment isn’t
needed.
Merge and the result is an HDR with a true 32-bit editing capability and
exposure range. Now edit with the LR tools.

I have a feeling that for the image you are working with you might get better
results using LR than NIK.

Savageduck

Old July 4th 15, 04:20 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

wrote:

This was a 5 exposure HDR, converted to BW. The HDR rendition and the BW
conversion were done using NIK software. No other modifications were
made. I cannot undertand why the vertical post on the door is so blurry,
compared to the ret of the image. What did I misss?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150703_Amish_0105_HDR.jpg

Something appears to have gone very wrong. The whole image looks
blurry to me, but it looks like a multiple exposure in general. I
don't know if I'm seeing moire, or something else. Did the camera move
between exposures? Or did something else change? Did you use a tripod?

Then again, I'm sure others here will have a better analysis.

I was trying hand held. I know I should not have been too lazy to get a tripod.

That depends on the actual exposure range. What was your bracket EV
interval for the 5 exposures?

I also want to test the ghost reduction.

Ghost reduction is only going to come into play with unwanted movement,
such as a bird flying through the bracket set. Then you have to select
one of the exposures as the "Ghost Removal Reference" shot and adjust
the Ghost removal strength appropriately.

It seems that you have a serious alignment problem whch the ghost
removal will not fix.

Does the tractor look blurry?

Very.

My solution would be to use Lightroom Photo Merge - HDR. See my prior
post or if you want more detailed help we can move this to email.

Savageduck

Old July 4th 15, 04:32 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

wrote:

This was a 5 exposure HDR, converted to BW. The HDR rendition and the BW
conversion were done using NIK software. No other modifications were
made. I cannot undertand why the vertical post on the door is so blurry,
compared to the ret of the image. What did I misss?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/97242118/20150703_Amish_0105_HDR.jpg

thanks

It's more than the post on the door that's blurry. There is an effect
I can best describe as a 'smearing' from upper left to bottom right in
an area which includes the door post, the bottom of the door and a
strip of grass across the entrance. Bonnet and grille on the tractor
has also been affected. Is it something to do with image alignment?

Were the images hand held or did you use a tripod?

Eric Stevens
Old July 4th 15, 04:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

wrote:

[...]

This might give you some idea of how I use Photo Merge - HDR in LR for
a single exposure. In the case of your bracket I would choose the 0 EV
and work with that in LR.
https://db.tt/nIuPyfxx

Savageduck

Old July 4th 15, 05:59 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Jul 3, 2015, Savageduck wrote
(in article201507032059444107-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...h_0105_HDR.jpg

[...]

There seems to be something screwy with that DB link so I am gong to pull the
file and use CC instead.
http://adobe.ly/1f9SJdj

Savageduck

Old July 4th 15, 10:55 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Joe Makowiec

On 03 Jul 2015 in rec.photo.digital, Savageduck wrote:

This might give you some idea of how I use Photo Merge - HDR in LR
for a single exposure. In the case of your bracket I would choose
the 0 EV and work with that in LR.

Did I see a method posted recently for doing this in Photoshop? It
involved a couple of layers and de-linking them from the original image.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old July 4th 15, 11:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_7_]

On 2015-07-04 09:55:19 +0000, Joe Makowiec said:

On 03 Jul 2015 in rec.photo.digital, Savageduck wrote:

This might give you some idea of how I use Photo Merge - HDR in LR
for a single exposure. In the case of your bracket I would choose
the 0 EV and work with that in LR.

Did I see a method posted recently for doing this in Photoshop? It
involved a couple of layers and de-linking them from the original image.

In Photoshop you have "Merge to HDR Pro" where to process as a 32-bit
file, you can merge two or more RAW files with an EV variation, or an
actual multi-exposure bracket. You will not get the 32-bit benefit if
you try to do this with an 8-bit JPEG. Once you have completed the
"Merge to HDR Pro" select the option to complet tone mapping in ACR.
That is where the 32-bit editing is accomplished. All of this is so
much simpler and seamless in Lightroom CC/6.

Note; in both PS and LR this only works properly with RAW files. The
results are not typical of the hideous over-saturated, and halo ridden
HDR images created in older HDR processors. They are surprisingly
normal with a truly increased dynamic range.

Savageduck