Digital Photography On Aircraft Not Permitted on Take Off or Landing

Old January 24th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital, nz.general, aus.aviation
george[_3_]

Default Digital Photography On Aircraft Not Permitted on Take Off orLanding

On Jan 25, 1:02 am, "ChrisM" wrote:

It is not a problem (or at least not a fault with his phone). It's pretty
common for mobile phones to cause interference on the radio. It's happened
to me on numerous occasions, and I've heard it on broadcast radio too, (the
DJ apologised afterwards for leaving his mobile phone switched on).
It sounds like a kind of 'duddle-uh duddle-uh duddle-uh...' noise.

Don't know anything about ham radio, maybe the frequencies they use are
outside the range of a mobile?

Hams are very friendly with their neighbours because its their TVs and
radios that pick up any interference.
Nothing like a halfwave length of coaxial cable on the TV ariel to
restore friendly relations
Old January 25th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Ron Hunter

Roger (K8RI) wrote:
On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 07:32:42 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

George Kerby wrote:
On 1/22/08 11:09 AM, in article
, "John Navas"

[]
Used/reconditioned high-end monitors are readily available at dirt
cheap prices.
And you should know.

Since Ron is retired, I am sure that you are going to go pick up a 75
-90 pound CRT for him an deliver it to his home.

Depends on the individual. I've been retired 11 years, weigh about
160# and still can lift a 4 X 8 foot sheet of 3/4" plywood over my
head and I still work at the 100 foot level on my tower in the back
yard.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm It takes me
longer to get up there and I only stay a couple of hours instead of
all day. That is climbing and working with over 40# of climbing gear
and safety equipment too. OTOH I no longer do full squats at 5 sets of
10 reps with 205# of free weights like I did in my mid 50's. That and
my wife put her foot down and said no more climbing towers for the
young guys. It's their turn now. :-)) OTOH I have a climb coming up
within the next week and the temperatures are only in the teens.

My ex fatherinlaw was still roofing 40 foot hip roofed barns well into
his 80's and probably didn't run much more than 140 to 150# if that. I
couldn't hold a candle to him and although I climb towers and fly
airplanes there's no way you'd get me up on one of those barns.

Currently my wife is on a 3 week (bout 350 to 400 mile bike tour
wherer the weather is much warmer. She rides about 3000 miles a year
(all 4'10" of her)

So, being retired or even a "senior citizen" doesn't mean every one is
unable to keep up. OTOH age does come with a price and there are many
who are not in as good a shape, but that is applicable to virtually
all age groups.

What a prince.

I have a spare 19-inch Dell monitor I used to run at 1152 x 864 pixels if
any want to take it away....

I gave away three 20" CRTs last year and a single 19" the previous
year. I don't have a monitor here that cost me more than those 20"
CRTs. OTOH they were big and they were heavy.

Roger (K8RI)
David

Yeah, I think carrying in the 32 inch CRT TV a few years ago had
something to do with aggravating the lower lumbar stenosis problem I
had. That darn thing is HEAVY!.
Old January 25th 08, 04:07 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,nz.general,aus.aviation
Ron Hunter

ChrisM wrote:
In message ,
Roger (K8RI) Proclaimed from the tallest tower:

On Sun, 20 Jan 2008 02:43:56 -0600, Ron Hunter
wrote:

snip
It is certainly possible, but not really feasible. In particular,
cell phones only transmit periodically when not in use, and those
intervals are minutes long. Try setting your cell phone in front of
your monitor for a few minutes. You will see some interference with
the image (on a

When in her in the evening...or wee morning hours, my cell phone
almost always lays on the desk under the front edge of the monitor
screen. I've never seen it flicker. Actually its under the right hand
edge of this monitor (Samsung 226BW) and 3 inches from the left hand
corner of the monitor (Samsung 204B) for the computer to my right. I
just called my land line with the phone laying in that position ... no
flicker, lines, or specs. I tried the same with the phone against the
front of the computer. Same results and it lays there for hours at a
time without ever being turned off. The last time it was turned off
was when I went to my doctor's office which was a week ago Tuesday.

CRT monitor, at least), every few minutes, and just before the phone
rings for a call. I don't know if all cell phones do this, but my
Motorola GSM phone certainly does. I can't leave it on my night
table because the radio makes strange noises every few minutes all
night.

Sounds like a problem. Mine too is a Motorola and there is an HF ham
rig setting within 4 feet of it at present. It's also within 2 feet of
a 144/440 MHz dual band HT with no noticeable interference.

Roger (K8RI)

It is not a problem (or at least not a fault with his phone). It's pretty
common for mobile phones to cause interference on the radio. It's happened
to me on numerous occasions, and I've heard it on broadcast radio too, (the
DJ apologised afterwards for leaving his mobile phone switched on).
It sounds like a kind of 'duddle-uh duddle-uh duddle-uh...' noise.

Don't know anything about ham radio, maybe the frequencies they use are
outside the range of a mobile?

It is likely that a good ham rig will have much superior IF interference
rejection compared to a bedside clock radio. And I am sure that a
really good CRT monitor probably has better signal rejection than one I
got for $129.
Old January 25th 08, 05:05 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roger (K8RI)

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 12:38:00 -0600, George Kerby
wrote:

On 1/24/08 4:06 AM, in article ,
"Roger (K8RI)" wrote:

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 07:32:42 GMT, "David J Taylor"
wrote:

George Kerby wrote:
On 1/22/08 11:09 AM, in article
, "John Navas"
[]
Used/reconditioned high-end monitors are readily available at dirt
cheap prices.
And you should know.

Since Ron is retired, I am sure that you are going to go pick up a 75
-90 pound CRT for him an deliver it to his home.

Depends on the individual. I've been retired 11 years, weigh about
160# and still can lift a 4 X 8 foot sheet of 3/4" plywood over my
head and I still work at the 100 foot level on my tower in the back
yard.
http://www.rogerhalstead.com/ham_files/Tower29.htm It takes me
longer to get up there and I only stay a couple of hours instead of
all day.

From Firesign Theater:

"Can it get Duluth?"

"Duluth? Bucko, you can get Tierra del Fuego!"

Nice rig! I bet you worry about low-flying aircraft. LOL!

Thanks. I put it up all by hand. Couple other Hams pulled on the ropes
for me.

When they spray for Mosquitoes and Gypsy Moths those guys go *around*
it.:-)) Next Summer I'm going to try and get up there for a good
"close up" when they go by.

Roger (K8RI)
Old January 25th 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Roger (K8RI)

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:04:58 -0600, Ron Hunter
wrote:

I have a spare 19-inch Dell monitor I used to run at 1152 x 864 pixels if
any want to take it away....

I gave away three 20" CRTs last year and a single 19" the previous
year. I don't have a monitor here that cost me more than those 20"
CRTs. OTOH they were big and they were heavy.

Roger (K8RI)
David

Yeah, I think carrying in the 32 inch CRT TV a few years ago had
something to do with aggravating the lower lumbar stenosis problem I
had. That darn thing is HEAVY!.

We had one of those in the entertainment center down in the basement.
I pushed some connectors onto the back of it and the thing slid right
out the front. It fell about 3' to the carpet (laid on a concrete
floor). The set still worked but it sure wouldn't have made a good
monitor for color work after that. :-)) I'd guess that thing weighed
as much as 2 of those 20" CRT monitors...maybe more.

Roger (K8RI)
Old January 25th 08, 05:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,nz.general,aus.aviation
Roger (K8RI)

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 21:07:41 -0600, Ron Hunter
wrote:

snip

It is likely that a good ham rig will have much superior IF interference
rejection compared to a bedside clock radio. And I am sure that a

I'd sure hope so, for what the good ones cost.:-))
OTOH we (as a group) never, ever throw anything away. Hence there is
everything out there from old tube transmitters and receivers, the
first discrete solid state rigs, hybrid (tubes and transistors in one
radio) to the modern priced out of the reach of most of us, stations.
That means the performance varies from really good to really, really
terrible. :-))
Not that I hang onto everything, but I still have my first camera, A
Pentax H2 and it still works. I still have my first computer too. It's
an Ohio Scientific C2-8P. 8 bit 6502 running one MHz with a whopping
48K of dynamic RAM and dual 8" floppy drives. That computer and drives
with out a monitor or keyboard cost me as much as two Athlon 64 X2
6000's I'm running. BTW, just 2 or the 16KX1 memory chips would pay
for one Gig of DDR2 800 memory today.

really good CRT monitor probably has better signal rejection than one I
got for $129.

You should be able to find some 20 to 21" CRTs that would qualify as
"really good monitors" for well under a $100 with a bit of shopping.
They may be used or reconditioned, but they are out there. An add in
the local paper for "A good quality 20" CRT monitor" might find a
bunch of them for little or no cost.. I did that for a C-band
satellite dish and receiver some years back when C-band was still
popular. I ended up with three of the things for less than $100
total. Now if I could just do that with a D3 :-))

Roger (K8RI)