Learning... Could you look?

Old September 24th 04, 11:26 PM
Carrie Lyons

Default Learning... Could you look?

Ok, Remember I am a relative newbie with camera's. Here are some shots I
have taken over the last couple of days, trying to work on exposure,
aperture etc. Please could some of you kind people take a look and give
me an opinion.

Please be gentle. ha! I am a musician, we have delicate souls. LOL!

http://community.webshots.com/album/191384315hiwmqg

--
Carrie, Twilight and Venus
http://community.webshots.com/user/carriephlyons
Old September 24th 04, 11:51 PM
JK

Your subjects are interesting, as is your composition, however you need more

experience making the best use of depth of field. I suggest that you set the

camera to the aperture priority mode, then take several photos with
everything
the same except the aperture. For these types of photos of stationary
objects,
you should always use a tripod, especially since you might want to use a
small
aperture and longer exposure to get greater depth of field. Carefully
compare
the results taking into consideration the aperture used for each image.
After
a while, you will get a better feel for the aperture to use to get the
effect you want.
Once you get an idea of around what aperture to use, you can set the camera
on aperture priority, then bracket the aperture used. Ie, if you think the
image
needs around f8, you can take 5 images for example starting at f5.6 and
closing
the aperture half a stop for the next image. In aperture priority mode, you
choose
the aperture, and the camera chooses the corresponding shutter speed to
give the correct exposure. Since you will be using a tripod, set the camera
at the lowest iso setting to give the best quality images.

Old September 25th 04, 03:09 AM
Mark M

"Carrie Lyons" wrote in message
Ok, Remember I am a relative newbie with camera's. Here are some shots I
have taken over the last couple of days, trying to work on exposure,
aperture etc. Please could some of you kind people take a look and give
me an opinion.

Please be gentle. ha! I am a musician, we have delicate souls. LOL!

http://community.webshots.com/album/191384315hiwmqg

Use a tripod.
This will allow you to stop using flash (which is giving you those nasty
bright highlight reflections).
This will also allow you to use a small aperture (like f11 or f16) to keep
the instruments parts in focus.

You are using too large an aperture (aperture size determines the depth of
field of focus...small apertures give you a deeper zone of focus, while
larger apertures keep only a shallow plain in focus in your image. -This is
why only a small portion of your instruments are not blurry.)

Old September 25th 04, 03:22 AM
mcgyverjones

"Carrie Lyons" wrote in message
Ok, Remember I am a relative newbie with camera's. Here are some shots I
have taken over the last couple of days, trying to work on exposure,
aperture etc. Please could some of you kind people take a look and give me
an opinion.

Please be gentle. ha! I am a musician, we have delicate souls. LOL!

http://community.webshots.com/album/191384315hiwmqg

Shooting tabletop is not the easiest way to start!
I found clarinet07 to be the best of the bunch. Interesting (not too
obvious) detail, lower key lighting (perhaps a little underexposed), not bad
depth of field. Sort of suggests an instrument rather that showing it. The
contrast range is a little extreme -- the shadows are lost and the
highlights a little blown out on my screen. It's good that the background is
a little darker than the subject.
You have picked challenging subjects, lots of reflections and highlights.
Good luck!

MJ