Digital reflex, 300D good enough?

Old September 20th 04, 12:41 AM
Randall Ainsworth

In article , Jim Townsend
wrote:

The 300D is a good camera.. 6 MP is great for up to 8 x 10 and you
can get very good results on larger poster sized prints (if you don't
crop too much).

I've made tack-sharp 16x20s with the 10D no problem. No cropping, of
course, because that's done in the camera before the button is pressed.
Old September 20th 04, 03:13 AM
andre

Bill Crocker wrote:
Should be good enough! It's basically a "lite" (but not really limited),
version of the Canon 10D, which is commonly used for the same purposes.

Bill Crocker

Unless you use some hacked firmware that gives you almost all of the
functionality of the 10D.
Since I haven't tried it yet I can't tell you if it works and how well.

--
----------------------------------
http://www.aguntherphotography.com
Old September 20th 04, 05:02 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Jim Townsend" wrote in message
Ryadia wrote:

Jim Townsend wrote:

The 300D is a good camera.. 6 MP is great for up to 8 x 10 and you
can get very good results on larger poster sized prints (if you don't
crop too much).

This is not entirely correct.
I own a 10D which has the same sensor as a 300D. Almost all the work I
sell lately is maxi-posters printed at 24"x36". The detail is as
stunningly crisp and accurate as printing at 8"x10". All you have to do
is open you mind to what professional photo printers are doing.

I own a 10D too. I realize you can print 24x36 and larger with
6 MP. I've seen some darn fine examples. That's why I added you can
get *very good* results on poster sizes. I just didn't want to commit
to a size :-)

Current printers will show improved sharpness with images well over 300 dpi,
as Roger N. Clark keeps pointing out. So anything over 6.7x10" is well into
"poster" territory.

How large you can print is solely a function of how far away the audience
can be kept.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old September 20th 04, 11:19 AM
David J. Littleboy

"Ryadia" wrote:

David J. Littleboy wrote:
How large you can print is solely a function of how far away the

audience
can be kept.

None of my 24" wide prints need to be viewed any differently than 6x4s.

ROFL. 24" wide prints are 83 dpi. You better stay a long way away.

A good print should invite a closer look and stand up to that closer look.

Posters don't, photographs do.

They're different art forms. You are quite confused.

David J. Littleboy
Tokyo, Japan

Old September 20th 04, 02:15 PM
JK

Tony wrote:

Hi guys,
I am working hard to become well known and getting a nice success in
portraits. I want to switch to digital (at least for the pictures in
color) as it is much cheaper, and the advanges are huge. To work at
professional level, is 300D good enough? I mean... its 6 megapixel are
enough for contest, wedding, portrait, fashion and to sell pictures to
the agencies/libraries?

At what level? I was at a wedding recently where most of the photos
were taken with a 10D, but the more important photos were also taken with
Hasselblads. When cost is a big issue, a 10D or 300D will be okay.
with its silver color, the 300D doesn't look like a professional camera.
I guess Canon did this intentionally so that the 300D wouldn't cut into
sales of the 10D, although I did read somewhere that a black version
of the 300D was released in some parts of the world.

Thank you for any advice,
Tony

Inviato da www.mynewsgate.net

Old September 24th 04, 11:52 PM
Nick Beard

So thats why the nikon D2H is only 4.1 mp eh?? And thats a Pro camera!!!
"Gene Palmiter" wrote in message
yes....but you should do a bit better being a pro. Six is good for
consumers...