Seeking recommendation for used SLR gears

Old August 18th 04, 07:31 PM
S. S.

Default Seeking recommendation for used SLR gears

Hello gurus/listers/grouplings,

I need your advice on buying used SLR gears. I started the hobby of
photographing a year ago when I bought a Canon G3 digital camera. Now
I decide to buy a used SLR. More specifically,

(1). I am looking for a SLR body plus a 50mm prime lens and flash as
start-up. Will add wide-angle and telephoto prime lenses later.

(2). I need to use it as a good tool to learn such techniques as depth
of field. So please take this into consideration when you make
recommendations.

(3). I am open to either manual focus or auto focus, but one thing
that is very important to me is the lens mount compatibility. I do not
want it to be a painful process to choose lenses because of the
limitation of lens mount compatibility.

(4). My main interests are outdoor and landscape.

I am looking forward to your valuable suggestions. Since I am living
in an area with extensive exposure to used SLR gears (through
classified ads or dealers), I appreciate if you can make your
recommendation as specific as possible. Thank you in advance!

SS
Old August 18th 04, 10:31 PM
Dominic Richens

S. S. wrote:
I need your advice on buying used SLR gears. I started the hobby of
photographing a year ago when I bought a Canon G3 digital camera. Now
I decide to buy a used SLR. More specifically,

IMHO the Nikon FE was the last camera made by Nikon with everything you'll
ever really need. And unlike the FE2 and later cameras will work with any
Nikon mount lens ever made.

Usually see them on ebay with 50mm lens for about 200$US
--
Dominic Richens |
"If you're not *outraged*, you're not paying attention!"

Old August 18th 04, 11:14 PM
Tony Spadaro

Canon EOS has simple lens mount compatibility and IS lenses. Any Canon lens
you buy for a film SLR now will be usable on their digital SLRs too. IF you
are serious about photography you might want to go directly to digital.

--
http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
om...

Old August 19th 04, 05:16 AM
st3ph3nm

(S. S.) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Have a search through the history of this group for similar threads
via google.

Unfortunately, you haven't given a price range. But as you're asking
for used, I don't think you'll get as good dollar for value as a
Pentax K mount camera such as the ME-Super or MX. Both are manual
focus, manual exposure. The MX also has Depth of Field preview. The
ME Super can be used in aperture priority automatic exposure - which
can be handy in quick situations (you set the aperture - giving
control over your DOF, but the camera selects a shutter speed). I
don't think you can get better quality lenses than Pentax prime lenses
of this period, without spending twice as much money - and not always
then? The other nice thing about these lenses is that Pentax lens
mounts haven't changed since then - so you can use your nice manual
focus fast prime on a subsequently purchased *istD (the latest Pentax
digital SLR).

Cheers,
Steve
(I have very little experience of non-Pentax SLR's, however)

Both of these cameras are quite small, too, which makes them easy to
wander around with.