ISO and actual sensitivity in DSLR's (D70, *istD, 20D, S3...)

Old March 25th 05, 04:59 AM
Alan Browne

Default ISO and actual sensitivity in DSLR's (D70, *istD, 20D, S3...)

We've seen the occasional postings about the ISO setting and the actual
sensitivity.

I picked up Casseur D'Images (No. 271, March 2005) and among other
things they did tests on a variety of DSLR's and one ZLR. (p. 169)

They rounded the results when close to the standard 1/3. But where a
little less clear cut, they put a +/- to indicate not quite in the 1/3 zone.

They describe, in punishing detail, the test method, references, math,
etc. Unfortunately, the 7D is not part of the grouping, but I'll take
sollace in the A200 results. Minolta have long been known for their
consistency in metering and exposure.

[There is also an article on the S3 and I'll summarize tomorrow]

Cheers,
Alan.

D70:
Setting: 200 400 800 1600
Actual: 160 320 640 1250

A200 (Minolta ZLR):
Setting: 50 100 200 400 800
Actual: 50+ 100 200 400 800

*istD:
Setting: 200 400 800 1600 3200
Actual: 250 500 1250- 2000 4000-

20D:
Setting: 100 200 400 800 1600 3200
Actual: 125 250 500 1000 2000 4000

S3:
Setting: 100 160 200 400 800 1600
Actual: 80 160 160+ 320 640+ 1250

1D Mk II
Setting: (L)50 100 200 400 800 1600 (H) 3200
Actual 64 160 320 640 1250 2500 4000

Old March 25th 05, 05:02 AM
Alan Browne

Alan Browne wrote:

I picked up Casseur D'Images (No. 271, March 2005) and among other

Chasseur D'Images
Old March 25th 05, 07:30 AM
Pete D

And as has been said before, it does not matter one tiny little jot as long
as the photos come out right.

Old March 25th 05, 09:26 AM
Kevin McMurtrie

"Pete D" wrote:

And as has been said before, it does not matter one tiny little jot as long
as the photos come out right.

The table shouldn't be interpreted as good or bad, but informational.
Built-in exposure meters can't be used for all conditions.
Old March 25th 05, 11:54 AM
Roland Karlsson

"Pete D" wrote in
:

And as has been said before, it does not matter one tiny little jot as
long as the photos come out right.

You are not of the old school I see

It does matter.
- if you use an external meter.
- when comparing the sensitivity of camera systems.
- when using external flash.
- etc

But - if you just take pictures and like them - then
the technicalities behind the making of the photo is
of course uninteresting.

But - it does matter - even if you don't care

/Roland
Old March 25th 05, 01:13 PM
Owamanga

On 25 Mar 2005 10:54:52 GMT, Roland Karlsson
wrote:

"Pete D" wrote in
:

And as has been said before, it does not matter one tiny little jot as
long as the photos come out right.

You are not of the old school I see

It does matter.
- if you use an external meter.
- when comparing the sensitivity of camera systems.
- when using external flash.
- etc

Okay, but whether it be by table or experience, if you find your
camera to consistently meter under or over, you'd just adjust the
exposure accordingly wouldn't you?

....annoying if you switch between brands all the time, but for a
single DSLR body owner, no biggie.

And the report (or Alan) missed another significant angle he

The D70 they used, is it the same as my D70? What's the consistency of
metering within each model like? If it's bad for any particular model,
their table becomes fairly irrelevant.

--
Owamanga!
http://www.pbase.com/owamanga
Old March 25th 05, 02:25 PM
Alan Browne

Pete D wrote:

And as has been said before, it does not matter one tiny little jot as long
as the photos come out right.

For those who use an incident meter or seperate spot meters (including
myself), such information is useful.

Old March 25th 05, 02:27 PM
Alan Browne

Roland Karlsson wrote:

"Pete D" wrote in
:

And as has been said before, it does not matter one tiny little jot as
long as the photos come out right.

You are not of the old school I see

It does matter.
- if you use an external meter.

I do that.

- when comparing the sensitivity of camera systems.

One of the roles of this NG.

- when using external flash.

I do that too.

- etc

But - if you just take pictures and like them - then
the technicalities behind the making of the photo is
of course uninteresting.

er, this is an equipment group. This *is* one of the things we discuss
here.

Old March 25th 05, 02:30 PM
Alan Browne

Owamanga wrote:

The D70 they used, is it the same as my D70? What's the consistency of
metering within each model like? If it's bad for any particular model,
their table becomes fairly irrelevant.

They don't mention if they're using samples of one or more.

If one were talking about lens variations (sharpness) I would agree.
But metering in electronic cameras and shutter speeds have become quite
precise and consistent over the past 10+ years.

Old March 25th 05, 03:30 PM
David J Taylor

Alan Browne wrote:
[]
er, this is an equipment group. This *is* one of the things we
discuss here.

"This" is cross-posted, so it's not even one group.....

David