Work Flow to Print Photographs

Old January 26th 07, 09:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
LuvLatins

Default Work Flow to Print Photographs

OK, I got my new Nikon D200 and love it. Bought a copy of Photoshop
CS and went out and bought a Huey Color Management System. For those
that dont know, the Huey is a small device that you place on your
monitor and it calibrates your monitor so that the color on your
Monitor matches the color in the photograph.

Now the part no one bothers to explain. In a Photoshop Tutorial by
Lynda.com (Great Vido Tutorials) it was said to use the Adobe RGB 1998
and make it so photshop will warn if its not in this color space. The
reason the tutotial said to use this color space is that it is like
the large box of crayones we had as a kid the one that had the
sharpener. Not the small box of crayones that photshop is set for
as its defualt)

So far I follow all of this but no ones esplains what to do next. In
photshop how do I make sure that the print and colors I see on the
screen is what the printer prints. Do I use Photshops Print Preview
mode and how do I tell the printer not to use its driver. Or do I let
photshop use the printers driver. I just dont know what to do to get
the printed picture on the screen in Photoshop in working space Adobe
RGB 1998 to print to either of my 2 color printers. I have a Cannon
MP830 and an HP OfficeJet K60. Probably the Cannon printer is better.
If anyone can expalin how to print with photshop and the work flow
they use, I am sure it would help alot of us on here that are new.

Thanks
Old January 27th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

LuvLatins wrote:

So far I follow all of this but no ones esplains what to do next. In
photshop how do I make sure that the print and colors I see on the
screen is what the printer prints. Do I use Photshops Print Preview
mode and how do I tell the printer not to use its driver. Or do I let
photshop use the printers driver. I just dont know what to do to get
the printed picture on the screen in Photoshop in working space Adobe
RGB 1998 to print to either of my 2 color printers. I have a Cannon
MP830 and an HP OfficeJet K60. Probably the Cannon printer is better.
If anyone can expalin how to print with photshop and the work flow
they use, I am sure it would help alot of us on here that are new.

You're going to need a profile for your specific printer and paper
first. Go to Cathy's website at

http://www.cathysprofiles.com/

and follow her instructions to the letter. That will get you a profile
that will make your prints look the same as your screen.

To achieve this, follow Red River's instructions in

http://redrivercatalog.com/profiles/starter_canon.pdf

assuming you are going to use a Canon printer and a PC.

This is the information that you will never, repeat never, find in any
book on color management, because they can't be bothered writing about
specific printers and their settings.

Please let me know if you follow thru on this and it helps. Took me a
long time to figure it out for myself.

GAry Eickmeier
Old January 27th 07, 05:50 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
LuvLatins

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 19:57:27 -0500, Gary Eickmeier
wrote:

LuvLatins wrote:

[...]

Thanks guys. I have my D200 Set to use Adobe in the camera settings.
I just bought a copy of Real World Color Managment Second Edition. It
has some instructions but damn complicated. Thanks for these links I
will check them both out. Will follow up to and let you know how it
goes.

Love this site thanks
Old January 28th 07, 01:04 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

wrote:

LuvLatins wrote:

[...]

You're welcome, Luv. Again, that fancy new book of yours won't have a
WORD in it about how to set the printer. The Red Rive site is the best
for telling us that info. Hope it applies to your printer.

Gary Eickmeier
Old January 28th 07, 03:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
LuvLatins

wrote:

LuvLatins wrote:

[...]

Many Thanks Gary. I sent the printed targets to Cathy today and lets
see how good her profile is. Also went to the Redriver site but it
was less helpful. I did find a cannon document that shows how to let
the print dirver do color managment or turn it off and use photoshop
and the built in Canon profiles for my canon MP830, finally getting
the hang of this. Also bought the book, Real World Color Managment by
Bruce Fraser. This site
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ad.php?t=29530

Offers a step by step for canon printers. Do you think the profile
that Cathy will send will really make a major difference ? was
thinking about buying an epson printer in the future, but will wait
and see how this profile and my canon do.

Many thanks for turning me on to this informaton was VERY HELPFUL in
my quest to print better pictures
Old January 28th 07, 03:55 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
LuvLatins

wrote:

LuvLatins wrote:

[...]

Was thinking of saving my money and perhaps buying an Epson R800,or
R1800 or R2400 your thoughts on these ? Will of course wait to see
how the profiles work on my canon but its a multifunciton printer and
not sure it will perform the way I expect but who knows, will wait and
see how the profiles work. My monitor is calibrated using a Huey
Pantone device and I am using a canon printer and canon paper so every
thing now matches. My Monitor is a Dell, 2007FP and I have loaded the
latest driver and ICC profile for the monitor. The complexity of this
topic is amazing. Guess this new hobby has me now, becasue I do LOVE
my new NIKON D200 camera what a great job they did on this camera.

What are you using to print Gary ?
Old January 28th 07, 08:28 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

LuvLatins wrote:

Was thinking of saving my money and perhaps buying an Epson R800,or
R1800 or R2400 your thoughts on these ? Will of course wait to see
how the profiles work on my canon but its a multifunciton printer and
not sure it will perform the way I expect but who knows, will wait and
see how the profiles work. My monitor is calibrated using a Huey
Pantone device and I am using a canon printer and canon paper so every
thing now matches. My Monitor is a Dell, 2007FP and I have loaded the
latest driver and ICC profile for the monitor. The complexity of this
topic is amazing. Guess this new hobby has me now, becasue I do LOVE
my new NIKON D200 camera what a great job they did on this camera.

What are you using to print Gary ?

I have the Canon Pixma IP 8500, an 8-color dye inkjet of great photo
quality. It can be set for profiles, if you know how to do it. I printed
a test patch from Cathy's Profiles, sent that to her, then she scanned
it into her profiling program and sent me the profile to use with that
paper on that printer. Now Photoshop does my printer color settings and
my prints exactly match what is sent into the printer.

Those Epsons are fine printers as well. But get a profile for each paper
you intend to use.

Gary Eickmeier
Old January 28th 07, 08:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Gary Eickmeier

wrote:

LuvLatins wrote:

[...]

Yup. I almost went nuts trying to figure all this out, because of the
inadequacy of the books and most of the "helpful" color management web
sites.

Gary Eickmeier