Film scanners?

Old May 12th 17, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Film scanners?

In article , Russell D.
wrote:

OK, show me digitally duplicated TriX semi-stand developed in 1:100
Rodinal.

This is an ExposureX2 Tri-X simulation with a Rodinal developer treatment:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgw8teb17zmzvlz/DSF4472-E.jpg

This example pretty much illustrates my point. That might me Tri-X in
Rodinal at 78 degrees instead of 68 degrees.

you have *no* way to know what the temperature of the developer was.

This is more typical:

https://flic.kr/p/SiATq9

I have yet to even see a digital "Kodachrome" photo that looked like
Kodachrome.

Then the question should be: which specific Kodachrome vintage, 1936,
1954, 1963, et seq?
They each have a very different tone.

Exactly.

it doesn't matter which specific kodachrome it is. they all can be
matched with digital, as well as exceeded for those interested in
higher quality rather than be stuck in the past.

it's not 1963 anymore.

if abraham zapruder had a digital camera in 1963 rather than being
stuck using a super-8 camera and kodachrome film, we'd know who shot
jfk.
Old May 12th 17, 12:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Russell D.
wrote:

"Bill, I can take shoot a roll of TriX and develop it in D-76 1:1 and
get one look and then stand develop another roll in 1:100 Rodinal for
an hour and get another look and then develop another roll in coffee
(Caffenol) for yet another look. It's fun. You cannot duplicate the
experience or the look with digital. Film has a unique look. It is not
better or worse than digital. It is just different."

he is wrong.

it *can* be duplicated.

OK, show me digitally duplicated TriX semi-stand developed in 1:100
Rodinal.

I have yet to even see a digital "Kodachrome" photo that looked like
Kodachrome.

just because you personally haven't seen it doesn't mean it doesn't
exist.

True. You are the one making the claim. Show me an example. It does not
need to be yours.

the only example needed is that digital surpasses film in every metric,
which means that whatever film can do, digital can do it better or held
back to match it.
Old May 12th 17, 02:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Russell D.[_3_]

On 05/11/2017 05:43 PM, nospam wrote:
In article , Russell D.
wrote:

[...]

No pictures--it didn't happen.

What is the metric for visual appeal? What is the metric for fun?

Russell
Old May 12th 17, 02:16 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Russell D.[_3_]

wrote:

OK, show me digitally duplicated TriX semi-stand developed in 1:100
Rodinal.

This is an ExposureX2 Tri-X simulation with a Rodinal developer treatment:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mgw8teb17zmzvlz/DSF4472-E.jpg

This example pretty much illustrates my point. That might me Tri-X in
Rodinal at 78 degrees instead of 68 degrees.

you have *no* way to know what the temperature of the developer was.

Astute. You don't disappoint.

This is more typical:

https://flic.kr/p/SiATq9

I have yet to even see a digital "Kodachrome" photo that looked likeh
Kodachrome.

Then the question should be: which specific Kodachrome vintage, 1936,
1954, 1963, et seq?
They each have a very different tone.

Exactly.

it doesn't matter which specific kodachrome it is. they all can be
matched with digital, as well as exceeded for those interested in
higher quality rather than be stuck in the past.

it's not 1963 anymore.

if abraham zapruder had a digital camera in 1963 rather than being
stuck using a super-8 camera and kodachrome film, we'd know who shot
jfk.

But, that is not what this is about, is it?
Old May 12th 17, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

wrote:

[...]

fun isn't the issue.

not even a good attempt at moving the goalposts.
Old May 12th 17, 03:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Russell D.
wrote:

This is more typical:

https://flic.kr/p/SiATq9

I have yet to even see a digital "Kodachrome" photo that looked likeh
Kodachrome.

Then the question should be: which specific Kodachrome vintage, 1936,
1954, 1963, et seq?
They each have a very different tone.

Exactly.

it doesn't matter which specific kodachrome it is. they all can be
matched with digital, as well as exceeded for those interested in
higher quality rather than be stuck in the past.

it's not 1963 anymore.

if abraham zapruder had a digital camera in 1963 rather than being
stuck using a super-8 camera and kodachrome film, we'd know who shot
jfk.

But, that is not what this is about, is it?

true, it's not about jfk.

however, it *is* about kodachrome, which is what zapruder used.

had he used a digital camera, the quality would have been *much*
better, as would all of the other photos taken that day.

unfortunately, they were all stuck with film.
Old May 12th 17, 03:53 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

What is the metric for visual appeal? What is the metric for fun?

fun isn't the issue.

Nope. Not for you. Some of the rest of us do like to enjoy our
hobby, though.

i never said otherwise. shoot all the film you want. have a blast. that
was never the issue, no matter how hard you try to twist it into things
it isn't.

just don't go claiming the results you get from your film fun produces
higher quality results than digital, because it doesn't. it's a
physical impossibility.
Old May 12th 17, 04:22 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Thu, 11 May 2017 22:47:32 -0400, Tony Cooper
wrote:

On Thu, 11 May 2017 22:09:03 -0400, nospam
wrote:

What is the metric for visual appeal? What is the metric for fun?

fun isn't the issue.

Nope. Not for you. Some of the rest of us do like to enjoy our
hobby, though.

I certainly enjoy digital photography; probably more than I enjoyed
film.

Eric Stevens
Old May 12th 17, 05:11 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

What is the metric for visual appeal? What is the metric for fun?

fun isn't the issue.

Nope. Not for you. Some of the rest of us do like to enjoy our
hobby, though.

I certainly enjoy digital photography; probably more than I enjoyed
film.

From 1958 until 1968 I enjoyed everything about having fun with the wet
darkrooms I used starting with my father's, mine, school friends, &
college friends. Then other stuff happened in my life and I was done
with the wet darkroom and only used one a few times between 1971 and
1974, and never after that. All my darkroom stuff has been sold.

With the arrival of digital photography and Photoshop my old enthusiasm
was reborn. I find I can immerse myself in a whole variery of methods
of post processing. I can apply wet darkroom methodology, or modern
digital techniques. I can use the Adams Zone method, or my own
harebrained ideas, all non-destructively. It is challenging and most
importantly fun.

Savageduck

Old May 12th 17, 05:43 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Tony Cooper
wrote:

What is the metric for visual appeal? What is the metric for fun?

fun isn't the issue.

Nope. Not for you. Some of the rest of us do like to enjoy our
hobby, though.

I certainly enjoy digital photography; probably more than I enjoyed
film.

Well, I enjoy photography. Not digital photography. Not film
photography. Just photography. Going out and trying to find a
subject that's interesting and capturing it in an interesting way.
Doesn't make any difference how it's captured.

I also enjoy post-processing digital images and seeing what I can get
from them. I don't do it myself, but I can understand why someone
would enjoy doing the same thing in a darkroom with film.

nospam says fun isn't the issue. I think it's the whole issue. If he
isn't enjoying photography, he should find another hobby.

you're twisting things again, and this isn't about me either.

nospam says the results are better with digital, but "results", for
the hobby photographer is very subjective. What pleases the person
who captures it, is the best result.

missing the point *entirely*.

film scanners James[_3_] In The Darkroom 0 October 8th 09 08:37 AM
Film Scanners Stephen[_2_] Digital Photography 1 July 10th 09 07:56 PM
Film scanners anyone? Ted Gibson Digital Photography 15 January 8th 08 04:31 AM
Film Scanners Gel Digital Photography 20 February 21st 05 01:25 AM
M/F film scanners - again? Rod Medium Format Photography Equipment 17 May 31st 04 04:14 PM