On1 Photo RAW 2018 Final Release

Old November 14th 17, 09:57 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

Default On1 Photo RAW 2018 Final Release

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 19:55:22 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , Bill W says...
Okay, now I see that the lens correction is automatically applied -
it's built-in. I see no geometric difference between the jpg and the
raw in either On1 or LR.

Yes, the Adobe software correctly applies the lens profile. But I
thought we were talking about the ON1 converter?

I am, and it appears to me that it does. As I said, I don't see any
geometric difference among the photos - whether rendered in LR, On1,
or SOOC jpg's.
Old November 15th 17, 07:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Bill W says...
I am, and it appears to me that it does. As I said, I don't see any
geometric difference among the photos - whether rendered in LR, On1,
or SOOC jpg's.

Can you send me the picture you got out of ON1? The one I got was quite
different geometrically from the out of camera JPEG.
--
Alfred Molon

Old November 16th 17, 03:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 19:49:47 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , Bill W says...
I am, and it appears to me that it does. As I said, I don't see any
geometric difference among the photos - whether rendered in LR, On1,
or SOOC jpg's.

Can you send me the picture you got out of ON1? The one I got was quite
different geometrically from the out of camera JPEG.

I just sent it, but it's 9MB, so if you have small limits on
attachments, it might be an issue.

The only difference I see is that the SOOC jpg is slightly larger, but
it still appears the same geometrically. I also removed the CA, and
tried to bring back the highlights a bit.
Old November 16th 17, 08:34 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Bill W says...
I just sent it, but it's 9MB, so if you have small limits on
attachments, it might be an issue.

The only difference I see is that the SOOC jpg is slightly larger, but
it still appears the same geometrically. I also removed the CA, and
tried to bring back the highlights a bit.

I got the picture. You got closer (geometrically) to the original JPEG
than I did, but still didn't manage to match it exactly.

But the bigger problem is the lack of pixel crispness and detail in the
RAW conversion from ON1. You can see it in this comparison:
http://myolympus.org/test/raw_comp_detail3.png

Left is the out of camera JPEG, middle is an ACR conversion, right is
your ON1 conversion. Even the out of camera JPEG has more detail than
the ON1 conversion.

It's not a sharpening issue. In my test with ON1 I applied a lot of
sharpening to the image, but didn't manage to get more pixel crispness
and detail. The detail in the image actually got worse as I applied more
sharpening with ON1. Maybe it's the way ON1 generates the full colour
data from the RAW image.
--
Alfred Molon

Old November 17th 17, 06:31 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 20:34:24 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , Bill W says...
I just sent it, but it's 9MB, so if you have small limits on
attachments, it might be an issue.

The only difference I see is that the SOOC jpg is slightly larger, but
it still appears the same geometrically. I also removed the CA, and
tried to bring back the highlights a bit.

I got the picture. You got closer (geometrically) to the original JPEG
than I did, but still didn't manage to match it exactly.

*I* didn't do anything about lens distortion. The correction is built
in.

But the bigger problem is the lack of pixel crispness and detail in the
RAW conversion from ON1. You can see it in this comparison:
http://myolympus.org/test/raw_comp_detail3.png

Left is the out of camera JPEG, middle is an ACR conversion, right is
your ON1 conversion. Even the out of camera JPEG has more detail than
the ON1 conversion.

Yes, but remember that I killed the highlights and whites with those
two sliders, so the contrast is going to suffer.

It's not a sharpening issue. In my test with ON1 I applied a lot of
sharpening to the image, but didn't manage to get more pixel crispness
and detail. The detail in the image actually got worse as I applied more
sharpening with ON1. Maybe it's the way ON1 generates the full colour
data from the RAW image.

When I adjust the contrast and structure sliders in On1, the detail
increases. I have no idea what your camera does when it generates the
jpg, or what ACR and On1 automatically do or don't do when they render
the photo. I think that as long as you can adjust the photo to
something you want, the software is perfectly adequate.

Try On1 again, but make sure the automatic lens correction is checked
in preferences, and then play with the sliders. Like I said, you can
completely remove the CA, and I'll bet you can get all the detail you
want. I'm not trying to promote On1 - I still use LR, but I wanted On1
as an alternative as needed. I think it's good software, even though
I'm still having performance issues that I don't understand.

Old November 17th 17, 09:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Bill W says...

I got the picture. You got closer (geometrically) to the original

JPEG
than I did, but still didn't manage to match it exactly.

*I* didn't do anything about lens distortion. The correction is built
in.

I meant that the ON1 converter didn't apply the correctly lens profile.

But the bigger problem is the lack of pixel crispness and detail in the
RAW conversion from ON1. You can see it in this comparison:
http://myolympus.org/test/raw_comp_detail3.png

Left is the out of camera JPEG, middle is an ACR conversion, right is
your ON1 conversion. Even the out of camera JPEG has more detail than
the ON1 conversion.

Yes, but remember that I killed the highlights and whites with those
two sliders, so the contrast is going to suffer.

There are ways to compress the highlights without killing the contrast.

snip

Try On1 again, but make sure the automatic lens correction is checked
in preferences, and then play with the sliders. Like I said, you can
completely remove the CA, and I'll bet you can get all the detail you
want. I'm not trying to promote On1 - I still use LR, but I wanted On1
as an alternative as needed. I think it's good software, even though
I'm still having performance issues that I don't understand.

ON1 doesn't apply the lens profile correctly and generates images which
are not so crisp and lack detail (compared to other RAW converters).

I'll skip ON1 for the time being (maybe I'll try it again in a couple of
years) and do a trial with Silkypix.
--
Alfred Molon

Old November 18th 17, 12:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Bill W

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 21:43:10 +0100, Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article , Bill W says...

I got the picture. You got closer (geometrically) to the original

JPEG
than I did, but still didn't manage to match it exactly.

*I* didn't do anything about lens distortion. The correction is built
in.

I meant that the ON1 converter didn't apply the correctly lens profile.

I don't think that there's a profile to apply. It's done in the
camera, the way I understand it.

But the bigger problem is the lack of pixel crispness and detail in the
RAW conversion from ON1. You can see it in this comparison:
http://myolympus.org/test/raw_comp_detail3.png

Left is the out of camera JPEG, middle is an ACR conversion, right is
your ON1 conversion. Even the out of camera JPEG has more detail than
the ON1 conversion.

Yes, but remember that I killed the highlights and whites with those
two sliders, so the contrast is going to suffer.

There are ways to compress the highlights without killing the contrast.

I didn't try to do anything besides recovering the highlights in those
two areas.

Old November 18th 17, 01:46 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , Bill W says...

I'll skip ON1 for the time being (maybe I'll try it again in a couple of
years) and do a trial with Silkypix.

I gave a try to Silkypix Developer Studio Pro 8:

- It automatically reads the lens profile and applies it perfectly
(pixel-to-pixel identical geometry compared to the OOC JPEG).
Impressive, the only RAW converter besides ACR capable of doing so right
now.

- The pixel crispness and sharpness is not that bad either. Not as good
as ACR, but way better than ON1.

- The user interface is complicated, hard to understand all the
controls. For instance, the only way I found so far to recover the
highlights is to play with the curves tool.

Given that Silkypix is actually a bit pricey (253 Euro), I'm inclined to
give it a pass, even if their RAW converter seems to have a lot of
potential (in my opinion probably the best of the "alternative" RAW
converters I've tested so far).
--
Alfred Molon