Anyone any experience scanning with...

Old October 8th 10, 09:52 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
K W Hart

Default Anyone any experience scanning with...

"NickTheBatMan" wrote in message
http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=B...000&hl=en&aq=f

As I said some while ago I have inherited something like 30,000 photos
- slides/negatives, and some medium format...

I already have a Canoscan but it's taking me forever to scan - and
I've had an enforced gap of respite from the job...
I really do need to get going at the project and want something I can
load and set off... I know it'll not return perfect results, but I
need something sort of automatic-ish...

TIA for your comments...

Nick in North Yorkshire

There are auto-feed type scanners for prints that are sold to
'one-hour-photo' stores. I have no personal knowledge of these machines, but
I have read favorable reviews in trade magazines. Auto-feed scanners are
also available in office supply stores, but I suspect these my be optimal
for letter-type paper rather than photographs. You might be able to pick up
such a device used on aBay or craigslist.

There are negative scanners used in one-hour-photo stores that are high
speed, but they are for full rolls of film. If your negatives are cut, I
expect you will have to handle them (with lint-free cotton gloves, of
course!) individually.

There are companies that are in the business of scanning shoeboxes full of
photos/negatives. You pack up your shoeboxes, and send them to a third world
country (seriously- these companies are located in cheap labor countries);
some time later you get a link to download your scans. I don't have
personnal knowledge of such companies, but what I have read. The prices I
recall are in the area of $0.25 each.

Perhaps you could find some teenager willing to do this for some spending
money- on a piece-rate basis. Or is there a "skills"-type organization
(organization that assists mentally handicapped persons to do work) nearby
that could do the work?

Old October 21st 10, 07:19 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
dickr2

I've been thinking about scanning some of my 35mm slides
for many years, but I haven't got a roundtoit. Some years
ago I recall a Nikon Coolscan, but it was too expensive at
the time. I'm also interested in a scanner at a reasonable
price but I haven't done any research. Comments?

Dick
Old October 21st 10, 11:26 PM posted to rec.photo.equipment.35mm
Alan Browne

On 10-10-21 14:19 , dickr2 wrote:
I've been thinking about scanning some of my 35mm slides
for many years, but I haven't got a roundtoit. Some years
ago I recall a Nikon Coolscan, but it was too expensive at
the time. I'm also interested in a scanner at a reasonable
price but I haven't done any research. Comments?

You can likely buy a CoolScan at a reasonable price, used, these days.

The "glory" days of film scanning are pretty much over. The scanners
have scanned most of what they wanted to and have taken up digital
cameras (not all to be sure, but the great majority).

"Some" has a pretty wide range of meaning. If the number is pretty low,
then it may be more cost effective to send the slides and/or negatives
to a service.

If you buy used, I'd suggest:

-Minolta 5400 (not the Mk II, just the original)

-CoolScan V or CoolScan 5000 (the later is the "lesser" model)

All of the above come with ICE (a dust and scratch reducing IR channel),
though it is less effective with Kodachrome.

--
gmail originated posts filtered due to spam.