silly question?

Old July 12th 04, 09:45 AM
Dennis Bradley

Default silly question?

"W Chan" wrote in message
news:wTrIc.1010223$Pk3.648817@pd7tw1no...
Hmm..
This may be a silly question - I hv just purchased a nikon d70 digital

slr..
i hv taken pics on a few trips.. most recently i hv noticed that the jpeg
image shows two oval shaped shadows (about 0.10 cm in diameter) on the

upper
right hand corners... i cleaned up the lens and reshot... found similar
observations... i wonder what the problem is? The problem seems to be

more
obvious in plain colour background (eg. blue sky, white walls)

any advice?

w-vancouver bc

--
* * * To reply, please email to
This is a security measure to reduce spams and unsolicited junk mails.

If the mark looks identical in position of each picture then it sounds like
you have dust on the sensor

Dennis

Old July 12th 04, 10:24 AM
Justin Thyme

Sounds like dust on the sensor.
No real way of avoiding it - except maybe buying an Olympus E1 that has an
ultrasonic sensor cleaner. Dunno about in USA, but in Australia Nikon will
give you one free clean during the warranty period.

Old July 12th 04, 12:43 PM
Dennis Bradley

"Justin Thyme" wrote in message
Sounds like dust on the sensor.
No real way of avoiding it - except maybe buying an Olympus E1 that has an
ultrasonic sensor cleaner. Dunno about in USA, but in Australia Nikon will
give you one free clean during the warranty period.

You can, at your own risk, do the cleaning for yourself. Of course, the
manufacturers all say that you should only entrust the cleaning to them.
I have a Fuji S2 Pro which I clean every couple of months on average
without any problems.

If you decide to go this route, you may find the following URL useful

http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/ccd_cleaning

Regards
Dennis

Old July 12th 04, 03:37 PM
W Chan

Dennis,

I use the link as you suggested. My problem is exactly like the pic shown in
http://www.pbase.com/image/20980695 - oval shade shadows consistently in the
same position in some of my pics with clear background.

I suppose there is no way to avoid as some of you said... Is there any way
to minimize this problem?

Now re fixing the problem, I believe Nikon Canada will clean once/year
during warranty period (I just bought the camera 1 mth ago...) I will
probably send it back to Nikon for cleaning.. But just that in the future,
this problem will recur for sure. Need to find a solution to fix it
myself....

any tips?

will-vancouver bc

--
* * * To reply, please email to
This is a security measure to reduce spams and unsolicited junk mails.
Cheers.
"Dennis Bradley" wrote in
message ...

Old July 12th 04, 05:06 PM
C J Campbell

Nikon's manual for the D70 contains instructions for cleaning the sensor
along with warnings not to do it yourself. Nevertheless, most dust blows off
the sensor very easily. Dust will get in there almost every time you change
your lens. I have been using those canned air things and keep one in my bag.

Old July 12th 04, 05:47 PM
Dennis Bradley

"W Chan" wrote in message
Dennis,

I use the link as you suggested. My problem is exactly like the pic shown

in
http://www.pbase.com/image/20980695 - oval shade shadows consistently in

the
same position in some of my pics with clear background.

I suppose there is no way to avoid as some of you said... Is there any way
to minimize this problem?

Now re fixing the problem, I believe Nikon Canada will clean once/year
during warranty period (I just bought the camera 1 mth ago...) I will
probably send it back to Nikon for cleaning.. But just that in the future,
this problem will recur for sure. Need to find a solution to fix it
myself....

any tips?

will-vancouver bc

I am sure you will never be able to stop the dust getting there, but it
helps if you can keep all your equipment very clean. If the camera body or
lens, particularly around the mount area are dusty, then blow them clean
before removing or re-fitting the lens. When dust becomes apparent, then I
first try to blow it clear using a hurricane blower. (just a large rubber
bulb blower without brush). I did try canned air once, and got propellant
spattered over the sensor. I would advise against this.

At first that single dirt spot was the end of my dreams. I was dejected
and thought my camera was going to be an utter waste of time. Now I am not
quite so critical, and accept the odd dust spot. Only when it gets to be an
annoyance, or if I am going to shoot something special, then I give the
camera a clean. First clean was a bit nerve-wracking, but went without a
hitch.

I am sure you have decided on the best course of action at the present to
get Nikon to fix it.

Regards
Dennis, Scotland,UK

Old July 12th 04, 05:56 PM
Dennis Bradley

"Dennis Bradley" wrote in
message ...

"W Chan" wrote in message
[...]

PS . example of marks left by canned air is on
www.ekuk.fsnet.co.uk/dust.jpg
The minor marks are jpeg artefacts due to compressing for the web

Dennis

Starting out with developing question. Jerry In The Darkroom 6 May 28th 04 05:52 PM
another newbie question John Bartley Large Format Photography Equipment 17 May 24th 04 04:11 AM
Bellows question T R In The Darkroom 4 March 10th 04 04:48 PM
question about cross-processing the letter K Film & Labs 3 February 4th 04 11:03 PM
MF resolution question Faisal Bhua Film & Labs 42 December 17th 03 02:14 PM