Nikon D70 Night Photography

Old January 31st 05, 08:39 PM
Andy Flowers

Default Nikon D70 Night Photography

Many apologies if this question has been asked before (couldn't find the
answer on Google Groups)

Just bought a Nikon D70 - very good camera

What I can't figure out is how to take night photography with the flash
switched off, and giving me the option of exposure compensation

Not been able to figure out the right combination of buttons knobs and
levers to do it.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
--
Andy Flowers
Old January 31st 05, 09:05 PM
paul

Andy Flowers wrote:

Many apologies if this question has been asked before (couldn't find the
answer on Google Groups)

Just bought a Nikon D70 - very good camera

What I can't figure out is how to take night photography with the flash
switched off, and giving me the option of exposure compensation

Not been able to figure out the right combination of buttons knobs and
levers to do it.

It should work just fine in A or S mode. Green & P will want to do a
bunch of other junk. Autofocus won't work unless it's close up. Best
results at low ISO and enable noise correction in the menus which takes
a second exposure with the shutter closed (assuming you are talking
about tripod work). If no tripod, bump the ISO up & use S mode at 80 to
125 to hand hold but you'll get more noise. Exposure compensation is not
available in green mode. It's the +/- button near the shutter; spin the
main dial while pressing.

Here's one hand held tracking with maybe shutter 1/15sec (took many
attempts):
http://www.edgehill.net/1/?SC=go.php&DIR=California/Bay-Area/San-Francisco/2005-01-13-night
I just shot manual after some trials to see what worked.
Old January 31st 05, 09:51 PM
Andy Flowers

In message , paul
writes
Andy Flowers wrote:

[...]

Many thanks for the reply.

Just tried this (in A and S mode)

The flash immediately pops up when you press the button - but there's no
option to switch it off.

Is there another button to switch off the flash (or have I got a later,
non/flash switchy offy version)?

Cheers
--
Andy Flowers
Old January 31st 05, 10:37 PM
paul

Andy Flowers wrote:

In message , paul
writes

Andy Flowers wrote:

[...]

Only green mode should force the flash. In green mode, press the button
on the left near the flash & spiin the main dial to shut it down but
that shouldn't be an issue in A or S mode.
Old January 31st 05, 11:19 PM
C J Campbell

"Andy Flowers" wrote in message
Many apologies if this question has been asked before (couldn't find the
answer on Google Groups)

Just bought a Nikon D70 - very good camera

What I can't figure out is how to take night photography with the flash
switched off, and giving me the option of exposure compensation

Don't use auto mode. Use P mode. The flash should only pop up automatically
in auto mode.

Old February 1st 05, 12:09 AM
Andy Flowers

Only green mode should force the flash. In green mode, press the button
on the left near the flash & spiin the main dial to shut it down but
that shouldn't be an issue in A or S mode.

I thought that too - maybe the later versions are different?

Sounds like I might need to get back to Nikon/change the camera for a
different one.

Strange that with all the different exposure modes it doesn't seem to be
able to do something as simple as let me switch the flash off and set
exposure compensation at the same time.

Other than that the camera seems very good -shame.
--
Andy Flowers
Old February 1st 05, 12:18 AM
Andy Flowers

In message , C J Campbell
writes

"Andy Flowers" wrote in message
Many apologies if this question has been asked before (couldn't find the
answer on Google Groups)

Just bought a Nikon D70 - very good camera

What I can't figure out is how to take night photography with the flash
switched off, and giving me the option of exposure compensation

Don't use auto mode. Use P mode. The flash should only pop up automatically
in auto mode.

Probably the most helpful reply so far - many thanks.

The flash doesn't pop up automatically, and exposure compensation is
available (as you said).

Unfortunately you are then restricted to the aperture that the camera
has decided to use - f4.2 in this instance.

There must be a setting that lets me

a) switch off the flash

b) use exposure compensation

c) choose the aperture

The three above are surely absolutely essential for night photography

I'll be very surprised if the D70 doesn't allow them all together

I'm sure I've used even digital compacts that have allowed me to do
that.

--
Andy Flowers
Old February 1st 05, 12:25 AM
C J Campbell

"Andy Flowers" wrote in message

Unfortunately you are then restricted to the aperture that the camera
has decided to use - f4.2 in this instance.

There must be a setting that lets me

a) switch off the flash

b) use exposure compensation

c) choose the aperture

Then you want to use A mode. The flash will not pop up automatically. The
camera will remain at whatever aperture you set. It will adjust the shutter
speed accordingly. If you have the ISO setting set at auto, it will increase
your ISO, so turn that off if you don't want a high ISO. You might also
experiment with automatic noise reduction for long exposures, another menu
item.

Old February 1st 05, 12:32 AM
paul

Andy Flowers wrote:

There must be a setting that lets me

a) switch off the flash

b) use exposure compensation

c) choose the aperture

'A' mode does this (aperture priority). I'm sure that even if they've
changed the deault settings, you can make it perform this way.
Old February 1st 05, 04:51 AM
Sheldon

"Andy Flowers" wrote in message
Many apologies if this question has been asked before (couldn't find the
answer on Google Groups)

Just bought a Nikon D70 - very good camera

What I can't figure out is how to take night photography with the flash
switched off, and giving me the option of exposure compensation

Not been able to figure out the right combination of buttons knobs and
levers to do it.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
--
Andy Flowers

I have a D70

The flash should not automatically pop up in any mode except Auto and some
of the specialty modes. Flash will not pop up automatically in PSAorM. If
you set the dial to night landscapes it turns the flash off, and if you want
to use Automatic you can turn the flash off by pushing the flash button
(just forward of the mode dial) and turning the dial where your thumb is
until you see the no flash symbol in the display on top of the camera.

Night scenes are always tough with any camera, so just experiment and take a
lot of shots. At least you don't have to pay for film or processing.