Nikon D70 Lens Question

Old April 28th 05, 12:08 AM
anonymous1

Default Nikon D70 Lens Question

Nikon D70 Lens Question

I'm a newbie looking to purchase the Nikon D70 with the Kit Lens
AND/OR the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED.
My last camera was an old 35mm Minolta XG7 that came with a
non-telephoto lens. Back when I bought it (1980), the salesman told me to
buy a protective lens for it (I bought a cheap UV lens for it and kept it on
permanently).
I'm assuming that I need similar protection for whatever lenses I get
for the Nikon D70. Many of the 67 mm lenses I see at online stores go for
$60 to $200. 1) Is it necessary to spend that much for a "protective lens?"
2) Is there any real difference between a cheap and expensive protective
lens? 3) I would intend to keep the protective lens on all the
time....would it make more sense to buy a "polarizer filter" lens, a "UV
filter lens", or just a "clear filter" lens? 4) If I get the AF-S VR
Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED lens it comes with a hood, will a
protector lens even fit with the hood on? Thanks in advance for any
lens and can send me a hyperlink to it, that would be great too. Thanks.
Lenny

Old April 28th 05, 01:28 AM
Jim

"anonymous1" wrote in message
roups.com...
Nikon D70 Lens Question

I'm a newbie looking to purchase the Nikon D70 with the Kit Lens
AND/OR the AF-S VR Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED.
My last camera was an old 35mm Minolta XG7 that came with a
non-telephoto lens. Back when I bought it (1980), the salesman told me to
buy a protective lens for it (I bought a cheap UV lens for it and kept it

on
permanently).

Actually, you bought a lens filter.
I'm assuming that I need similar protection for whatever lenses I

get
for the Nikon D70.

Well, the lenses still need to be protected from events like striking the
ground, getting hit by rocks, etc.
Many of the 67 mm lenses I see at online stores go for
$60 to $200. 1) Is it necessary to spend that much for a "protective

lens?"
2) Is there any real difference between a cheap and expensive protective
lens?

Yes.
3) I would intend to keep the protective lens on all the
time....would it make more sense to buy a "polarizer filter" lens, a "UV
filter lens", or just a "clear filter" lens?

You don't need to use a polarizer all the time unless you really like light
loss.
The others you mentioned are all protective filters, and they perform nearly
identically.
4) If I get the AF-S VR
Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED lens it comes with a hood, will a
protector lens even fit with the hood on?

Yes, it will, You should use the hood whenever you are taking pictures
outside. Some hoods will keep things from hitting the lens.
Thanks in advance for any
lens and can send me a hyperlink to it, that would be great too. Thanks.

All of the manufacturers sell skylight and UV filters (in reality, a
skylight filter is just a particular kind of UV filter). Popular brands
include Hoya, B&W, and Tiffen.
Jim

Old April 28th 05, 11:53 AM
Krystian Polak

(I bought a cheap UV lens for it and kept it on
permanently).
I'm assuming that I need similar protection for whatever lenses I get
for the Nikon D70.

For lens protection you should use cap. Any filter, especially cheap filter
will decrease sharpnes and will couse a lens to be more sensitive to flare.
So what for to buy D70 if you end up with low quality image anyway?

lens? 3) I would intend to keep the protective lens on all the
time....would it make more sense to buy a "polarizer filter" lens, "UV
filter lens", or just a "clear filter" lens?

Polarazing filter will help you to reduces reflections. UV will not help you
at all with your D70, because its sensor is already not sensitive to UV
radiation. And instead speding hundreds for high quality 'protective' filter
buy better lens. Maybe prime? It helps to lift up your photographic skills
more then any fancy zoom.

4) If I get the AF-S VR
Zoom-Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED lens it comes with a hood, will a
protector lens even fit with the hood on?

My advice: forget about protection. You overthink that. Buy any lens you
want and just dont use it as a hammer. Belive me, it will be fine.

Regards,

K.Polak

Old April 29th 05, 04:45 AM
S&L

You have the right idea, you definitely should protect your lens with a
filter, either a UV or a skylight filter.
I received a Tamron 200-500, yesterday and bought a filter Bower ,
UV,multicoated, at this site
http://photofilter.net/shopsite_sc/s...ml/page94.html

Also, if you have a recomendation for a particular protective

Old April 29th 05, 11:05 AM
Tom Scales

Completely disagree. Why add a piece of inexpensive glass in front of a
lens that is computer designed to work best without it.

Do you see better out your car window or while you're standing outside?

Just be careful and don't worry about it.

Tom