Nikon D70 Night Photography

Old February 1st 05, 05:46 AM
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 00:18:22 +0000, Andy Flowers
wrote:

In message , C J Campbell
writes

"Andy Flowers" wrote in message
Many apologies if this question has been asked before (couldn't find the
answer on Google Groups)

Just bought a Nikon D70 - very good camera

What I can't figure out is how to take night photography with the flash
switched off, and giving me the option of exposure compensation

Don't use auto mode. Use P mode. The flash should only pop up automatically
in auto mode.

Probably the most helpful reply so far - many thanks.

The flash doesn't pop up automatically, and exposure compensation is
available (as you said).

Unfortunately you are then restricted to the aperture that the camera
has decided to use - f4.2 in this instance.

There must be a setting that lets me

a) switch off the flash

b) use exposure compensation

c) choose the aperture

Aperture priority "A" mode does exactly that.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J36 Gjo/a

"We have achieved the inversion of the single note."
__ Peter Ustinov as Karlheinz Stckhausen
Old February 1st 05, 07:56 AM
Andy Flowers

In message , C J Campbell
writes

"Andy Flowers" wrote in message

Unfortunately you are then restricted to the aperture that the camera
has decided to use - f4.2 in this instance.

There must be a setting that lets me

a) switch off the flash

b) use exposure compensation

c) choose the aperture

Then you want to use A mode. The flash will not pop up automatically. The
camera will remain at whatever aperture you set. It will adjust the shutter
speed accordingly. If you have the ISO setting set at auto, it will increase
your ISO, so turn that off if you don't want a high ISO. You might also
experiment with automatic noise reduction for long exposures, another menu
item.

Spot -on!

Excellent reply

Can now use it for what I bought it for - many many thanks!

--
Andy Flowers
Old February 1st 05, 08:01 AM
Andy Flowers

In message , Sheldon
writes

"Andy Flowers" wrote in message
Many apologies if this question has been asked before (couldn't find the
answer on Google Groups)

Just bought a Nikon D70 - very good camera

What I can't figure out is how to take night photography with the flash
switched off, and giving me the option of exposure compensation

Not been able to figure out the right combination of buttons knobs and
levers to do it.

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers
--
Andy Flowers

I have a D70

The flash should not automatically pop up in any mode except Auto and some
of the specialty modes. Flash will not pop up automatically in PSAorM. If
you set the dial to night landscapes it turns the flash off, and if you want
to use Automatic you can turn the flash off by pushing the flash button
(just forward of the mode dial) and turning the dial where your thumb is
until you see the no flash symbol in the display on top of the camera.

Night scenes are always tough with any camera, so just experiment and take a
lot of shots. At least you don't have to pay for film or processing.

Many thanks for your reply - apparently A mode does everything I want
(other posters have confirmed this)

manual didn't make it clear

I've been taking night photos for over 25 years now and have had many
published (I'm a railway photographer and journalist)

I was just a bit frustrated that the manual didn't appear to give me the
option I've enjoyed with other cameras.

Previously been using Pentax 645, Contax and a variety of 5MP compact
digitals.

I've found that digital has given very good results and I'm looking
forward to using the D70 for some work.

Cheers
--
Andy Flowers
Old February 1st 05, 11:40 AM
Graham Holden

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 00:09:39 +0000, Andy Flowers
wrote:

Only green mode should force the flash. In green mode, press the button
on the left near the flash & spiin the main dial to shut it down but
that shouldn't be an issue in A or S mode.

I thought that too - maybe the later versions are different?

Sounds like I might need to get back to Nikon/change the camera for a
different one.

Strange that with all the different exposure modes it doesn't seem to be
able to do something as simple as let me switch the flash off and set
exposure compensation at the same time.

Other than that the camera seems very good -shame.

Just to re-confirm what others have said:

In 'Auto' mode (and all the 'green' modes), the flash pops-up as required.

In 'P'rogram mode (and 'A', 'S' modes), it will _suggest_ when to use the
flash (**), but YOU need to pop-it up to use it. If the flash is already
popped-up (because you _were_ in Auto mode), then you need to push it back
down again to disable it (or, I think, press the flash button and spin one
of the command dials).

(**) It flashes/lights the zig-zag sign in the viewfinder. You can disable
this recommendation with one of the custom menu settings.

Old February 1st 05, 01:02 PM
i-ball

"Andy Flowers" wrote in message

Only green mode should force the flash. In green mode, press the button
on the left near the flash & spiin the main dial to shut it down but
that shouldn't be an issue in A or S mode.

I thought that too - maybe the later versions are different?

Sounds like I might need to get back to Nikon/change the camera for a
different one.

Strange that with all the different exposure modes it doesn't seem to be
able to do something as simple as let me switch the flash off and set
exposure compensation at the same time.

Other than that the camera seems very good -shame.
--
Andy Flowers

I think you need to read the manual.

Old February 3rd 05, 02:49 AM

All you needed to do was read the manual. I'm brand new to all this and I
knew how to do what you asked, all from reading the manual. Why I would need
to do it is another issue.