Windows 10. Horrible!

Old November 7th 17, 10:46 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

Default Windows 10. Horrible!

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

On Monday, 6 November 2017 12:14:14 UTC, android wrote:
In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Looking at device shipments

Android 54.16%
iOS/macOS 12.37%
Windows 11.79%
Other 21.66%
OS Device Shipments, Gartner[21]

It's really not fair nor useful to compare mobile devices and tabs with
proper PCs.

what's a proper PC and why not if people like my brother are using a tablet
rather than their PC.

A proper PC has a display of at least 10", keyboard and can host MS
Office. I have a tablet on me desk, but use less and less and then
mostly for leisure surfing.

I guess that the personal assistant of your brother takes care of most
typing oriented chores... ;-ppp

PCs empower the GP while tabs 'n pads depower it.

No they don't.

Sure they do...

No solution at all for
those that want to do more than read webmail and communicate with HMHS
and such,

of which there are fewer and fewer.

That's your problem now...

What about teh millions of PCs sitting on hotel reception and all they do is
log who;'s currenty occupying the rooms.

No they don't.

What about the 10 tabs we brought so we could registar the students in a
classroon rathe rthan having to send them all in a qute to a central room to
registar their attendance. Is it really better to have ONE PC or 10 tabs to
do the same job. The tabs were cheap £50 kindles, so far cheaper than having
ONE PC operated by ONE person with 400 odd students queueing for
registaration.

As said tabs and pads have some limited functionalities and can be used
for those, off course but do not replace the PC at the workplace nor at
home.

sort of . Phones are gadgets on the side, useful on the go but
do not replace PCs...

Phones are phones, PCs are PCs.
It is far easier for us to get the students to photograph their hardware with
a phone than with a PC.

PC are not sold for their camera functionality but phones are...

When the studetsn come and ask me for device X or Y they show me on their
phone what sot of thing they are looking for I don;t want them brining in
their desktop PC into the lab.

--
teleportation kills
Old November 7th 17, 02:15 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

So what are they sold for considering numbers are dropping.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...irst-time-five
-years/

Technology researcher IDC said PC shipments had increased by 0.6pc in the
first quarter of 2017, the first quarter they had risen year-on-year since
the same period in 2012.

However, competing data from Gartner said PC sales had fallen by 2.4pc in the
quarter. Gartner said that sales were now at their lowest level since early
2007.

They don't distinguish between tabs/pads and phones. That that I see is
that lots of folks got a tablet, tried it and moved on to a new PC. They
keep the tab by the sofa as a telly guide:

"IDC's Jay Chou said that as sales of smartphones and tablets have
risen, consumers had not stopped using PCs, but merely replaced them
less often. He said the market is now entering a "replacement cycle"
which should lead it to growth."
--
teleportation kills
Old November 7th 17, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article ,
Whisky-dave says...

On Monday, 6 November 2017 19:16:21 UTC, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article ,
Whisky-dave says...
At work I'm still using a Mac from 2011 if this was a PC it'd be thrown out by now and a new one brought like the ones in the lab after about 2 years get replaced.
So yes we buy more PCs because we thrown more out per year as not being fit for purpose.

Well no. PCs are being replaced so often because they are so cheap.

Yeop and can;lt do the job so are replaced.

See for instance this netbook with a 14" 1920x1080 IPS screen for 168
Euro:
https://direktkauf.idealo.de/portal/...538C4778CC7FE5
567B779D13AE3612?execution=e1s1

Thin & light, 0.95 Kg.

but it's ****.

Why? It's good enough for a wide range of purposes.
--
Alfred Molon

Old November 7th 17, 06:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article ,
Whisky-dave says...
You no longer need to have a high end PC to do email, a phone can do it.

Yes, but it's much more comfortable to write emails with a real
keyboard.
--
Alfred Molon

Old November 7th 17, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

You no longer need to have a high end PC to do email, a phone can do it.

Yes, but it's much more comfortable to write emails with a real
keyboard.

not necessarily, but phones and tablets can use a 'real keyboard', so
you can if you prefer.
Old November 7th 17, 06:43 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

See for instance this netbook with a 14" 1920x1080 IPS screen for 168
Euro:
https://direktkauf.idealo.de/portal/...538C4778CC7FE5
567B779D13AE3612?execution=e1s1

Thin & light, 0.95 Kg.

but it's ****.

Why? It's good enough for a wide range of purposes.

not a very wide range.

the link expired, but its specs were 2 gig memory, 32 gig storage and
an intel atom processor.

that's worse than mainstream laptops from ten years ago.
Old November 8th 17, 07:02 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article ,
Whisky-dave says...
yuo gotta be kidding imagine the problems of drivers writing emails on their PC as they drive down the motorway or sidewalk, they're bad enough when doing on a phone !.
Go up to amnyone walking along the road typing on their phone and tell them that it'd be easier if they had a PC see what they say.

Why would anybody use a PC when driving a car???
--
Alfred Molon

Old November 8th 17, 07:18 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article ,
Whisky-dave says...
Doesn;t sound that great to me but then again the link doesn;t work either
and why must I order it from germany ?

Ok for the sort of things that can be done on the cheapest smartphones but that's about it.

It's an MPman NT14:
http://www.mpmaneurope.com/en/window...-/280-netbook-
windows-.html

No idea how good or bad it is, but from the specifications it seems good
enough for websurfing, video playback, MS Office etc.

BTW, I just found it for 150 Euro on conrad.de
--
Alfred Molon

Old November 9th 17, 12:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

Doesn;t sound that great to me but then again the link doesn;t work either
and why must I order it from germany ?

Ok for the sort of things that can be done on the cheapest smartphones
but that's about it.

It's an MPman NT14:
http://www.mpmaneurope.com/en/window...-/280-netbook-
windows-.html

Can't open this link

not only did he fail to properly delimit the url but he intentionally
broke it.

properly delimited and clickable:
http://www.mpmaneurope.com/en/window...ook-windows-.h
tml

it has a 1.3 ghz intel atom processor, 32 gig storage (of which windows
will use most of it), 2 gig memory, usb 2 (laughable in 2017), and no
mention of battery run time (which means it's not very long).

No idea how good or bad it is, but from the specifications it seems good
enough for websurfing, video playback, MS Office etc.

Smartphones can do that and more.

yep.
Old November 9th 17, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

In article ,
Whisky-dave wrote:

BTW, I just found it for 150 Euro on conrad.de

Is there a reason you can only find it on some obsure site in German ?

Could be one of your guys lost in trafic... Whatever: They seem to have
an outlet for you too...

http://www.conrad-electronic.co.uk/ce/

Prices in sterling and everything! :-))
--