How long will a DSLR body last ?

Old January 8th 07, 07:30 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Adrian Boliston

Default How long will a DSLR body last ?

"bob" wrote in message

I still have not made my mind up regariging which DSLR Nikon D80 or the
D200 . If the tecnology is not going to last. Should I just go for the
cheaper D80 which may last for say 4 years ? then upgrade

I'd say always go with the cheaper body and use any saving for quality
glass. I have heard of digital bodies almost being regarded as "disposable"
parts on the basis that they are like other consumer electronics like
laptops and PCs. Get a body that does what you want in terms of features
as it's the glass which mostly governs the actual picture quality rather
than the body, and the chances are that you will get through many bodies in
a lifetime, but keep the same glass (unless you break it or it's stolen!).

cheers adrian www.boliston.co.uk

Old January 8th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bob

--
All outgoing emails are scanned with Norton Antivirus 2005

"Adrian Boliston" wrote in message

I'd say always go with the cheaper body and use any saving for quality
glass. I have heard of digital bodies almost being regarded as
"disposable" parts on the basis that they are like other consumer
electronics like laptops and PCs. Get a body that does what you want in
terms of features as it's the glass which mostly governs the actual
picture quality rather than the body, and the chances are that you will
get through many bodies in a lifetime, but keep the same glass (unless you
break it or it's stolen!).

Think this has knocked sense into me .. for my needs a D80 will do the
trick.

Old January 8th 07, 09:56 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Charles Schuler

"Neil Harrington" wrote in message
. ..

I wouldn't worry that "the technology is not going to last." The
technology curve seems to have leveled off and we're just getting very
small refinements in it now from year to year. It's nothing like the past
decade when there were really important leaps in digital camera
technology.

I agree with Neil. Think for a moment: the huge gains from model to model
are over. The curve is indeed at a much flatter slope. Always ask: "What
is there about this latest camera that would allow me to take shots that I
cannot grab now?" There might be a few shots that you would miss, but are
they important to you?

Old January 8th 07, 11:17 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Volker Hetzer

3Putt from South Carolina wrote:
I have the D50, which is a plastic body. It's half-life at the landfill is
about 500 years. I think you may need to rephrase the question.

You still use landfills?

"bob" wrote in message
I still have not made my mind up regariging which DSLR Nikon D80 or the
D200 . If the tecnology is not going to last. Should I just go for the
cheaper D80 which may last for say 4 years ? then upgrade

Yes.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker
Old January 8th 07, 11:23 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
3Putt from South Carolina

"Volker Hetzer" wrote in message
3Putt from South Carolina wrote:
I have the D50, which is a plastic body. It's half-life at the landfill
is about 500 years. I think you may need to rephrase the question.

You still use landfills?

Sorry, I meant recycling center.

Old January 9th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA

bob wrote:
I still have not made my mind up regariging which DSLR Nikon D80 or the D200
. If the tecnology is not going to last. Should I just go for the cheaper
D80 which may last for say 4 years ? then upgrade

On the cheapest ones, as long as it takes for the shutter to break.
You won't want to pay the repair bill. I don't even know if the cheap
ones rate the shutter for any expected lifetime.

Old January 9th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

bob wrote:
I still have not made my mind up regariging which DSLR Nikon D80 or the D200
. If the tecnology is not going to last. Should I just go for the cheaper
D80 which may last for say 4 years ? then upgrade

I bought my D200 when I dropped my D70 & the body cracked so I figured
the stronger metal bpdy was wise. OTOH the D80 wasn't availiable. I
bought an old 28mm f/2 AIS for $200 and While a comparable new lens of
that quality isn't even available it would probably be in the $800
range. OTOH it's a bitch manual focusing that bugger.
Old January 10th 07, 12:29 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Bruce

Three years ago I bought a Nikon D70 since then the D80 came out & I was
tempted to upgrade to the D80, then I thought I may as well go the whole hog
and get the D200. After a lot of thought I decided to stick with the D70
simply because it is capable of producing better photographs then I have yet
taken. Also after talking to a local proper camera shop guy about the
durability of Canon & Nikon DSLR he said most of the repairs he gets in
(apart from accidental damage)are for the CCD replacement costing around
£110.

So I'm sticking with the D70 till my standard of photography improves.

Bruce

Old January 10th 07, 01:15 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Greg \_\

In article ,
"Bruce" wrote:

Three years ago I bought a Nikon D70 since then the D80 came out & I was
tempted to upgrade to the D80, then I thought I may as well go the whole hog
and get the D200. After a lot of thought I decided to stick with the D70
simply because it is capable of producing better photographs then I have yet
taken. Also after talking to a local proper camera shop guy about the
durability of Canon & Nikon DSLR he said most of the repairs he gets in
(apart from accidental damage)are for the CCD replacement costing around
£110.

So I'm sticking with the D70 till my standard of photography improves.

Bruce

I think those are certainly valid reasons, my next upgrade is decidedly
a 12 MP camera. Wether that happens is up to Nikon at a price point I
can afford. Anything in my world over 3k is ridiculous.

On the D70 side last year I shot 24 weddings between two D70 cameras the
previous year 36. On average that's 15,000 exposures per camera.

Not including the 15-20 magazine assignments averaging 200 + images.

Someone told me these non pro cameras would not hold up to that kind of
use or abuse ;^)

My big desire regarding the bigger file is to go across two pages at
11x17 so the 12MP would be a help.
--
"As democracy is perfected, the office represents, more and more closely,
the inner soul of the people. We move toward a lofty ideal. On some great

Reality-Is finding that perfect picture
and never looking back.

www.gregblankphoto.com