Windows freeware to edit & create EXIF data for JPEG photos

Old July 7th 07, 08:35 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Crusader

Default Windows freeware to edit & create EXIF data for JPEG photos

Does anyone know of Windows freeware that creates and edits EXIF data for
JPEG photos?
Old July 7th 07, 08:50 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
CoMa

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 07:35:04 GMT, Crusader wrote:

Does anyone know of Windows freeware that creates and edits EXIF data for
JPEG photos?

How about
Exifer for Windows
http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

Old July 7th 07, 10:24 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Ray Macey

On Jul 7, 5:35 pm, Crusader wrote:
Does anyone know of Windows freeware that creates and edits EXIF data for
JPEG photos?

MS photo info is good if you use windows

Ray

Old July 7th 07, 04:48 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Crusader

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 09:50:28 +0200, CoMa wrote:
Does anyone know of Windows freeware that creates and edits EXIF data for
JPEG photos?

How about Exifer for Windows
http://www.friedemann-schmidt.com/software/exifer/

Wow. I appreciate your telling me about this as I was totally unaware of
Exifer prior to this post. It is "probably" a good tool and it probably
works just fine, but it sure doesn't work the way I thought it would for
me, a newbie.

First, I figured I'd load a picture and get a form with all the Exif data
but it puts only SOME of the Exif data into a form where you have to scroll
one by one through the forms.

Second, I figured it would load existing Exif data like that shown with
Irfanview but it doedsn't. It seems to wipe out the existing Exif data and
allow you to create totally new Exif data, but that's not what I wanted. To
it's credit, I didn't state that I wanted to edit existing Exif data so I
am NOT complaining. I'm just stating what it seems to be.

I'm sure it's probably a good tool, but I will keep looking unless there is
nothing else out there and then I'll go back to Exifer which seems to be
great for createing NEW Exif data but not necessarily for editing EXISTING
Exif data.

Thanks!!!!!
Old July 8th 07, 01:21 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Ray Macey

On Jul 8, 1:48 am, Crusader wrote:

I'm sure it's probably a good tool, but I will keep looking unless there is
nothing else out there and then I'll go back to Exifer which seems to be
great for createing NEW Exif data but not necessarily for editing EXISTING
Exif data.

As I said in my reply to your first post, try MS photo info. It lets
you append or replace EXIF and IPTC as you prefer

Ray

Old July 8th 07, 08:18 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Crusader

On Sat, 07 Jul 2007 17:21:13 -0700, Ray Macey wrote:

On Jul 8, 1:48 am, Crusader wrote:

I'm sure it's probably a good tool, but I will keep looking unless there is
nothing else out there and then I'll go back to Exifer which seems to be
great for createing NEW Exif data but not necessarily for editing EXISTING
Exif data.

As I said in my reply to your first post, try MS photo info. It lets
you append or replace EXIF and IPTC as you prefer

Ray

Hi there Ray,
I generally avoid Microsoft bloatware products at all costs, but since
Exifer replaced but didn't allow an edit to existing Exif data, I guess
since there is no other alternative, I'm installing the Microsoft PhotoInfo
product you recommended right now after (for the umpteenth time) going
through the Windows validation process (why can't they just remember the
previous validation).

I immediately see MS PhotoInfo requires .NET bloatware, so I'll have to
install that in order to run the program. This should be more clearly
stated on the download pages (maybe it is, but I don't remember seeing that
it takes two downloads to get the software up and running).

OK, that was wierd. When I installed MS PhotoInfo, it didn't give me the
option to start it when the installer finished, it didn't put an icon on
the desktop and it didn't put an entry in the start menu. While I applaud
the lack of bloat ... my first response is "where is the program shortcut"?

Luckily I know where I put ALL my programs (c:\software\photo
editors\msphotoinfo) so I could make a shortcut for my menu system to
"PhotoInfo.exe".

When I doubleclicked on C:\software\photo
editors\msphotoinfo\photoinfo.exe, the GUI didn't come up but a warning
came up saying "Photo Info: No supported image files were found in the
current file selection". Huh? I didn't select any files. When I press OK,
the warning goes away, and nothing else happens.

Obviosly the intuitive use model isn't the norm here. Nowhere did the GUI
tell me what to do so I started guessing that I have to select a few image
files first before the MS PhotoInfo program knows what to do. I right
clicked to use the intuitive "Open With" command but then figured that MS
must have put SOMETHING in the menu system. Lo and behold, there was a new
"PhotoInfo" selection way way down in my menus (lot's of crapware installs
things into this right click selection).

In about twice or three times the time it takes for Irfanview to bring up a
picture, MS PhotoInfo had the Exif data available, which isn't too bad.

But then, I was shocked to find that, like Exifer, the proven existing Exif
data was not available in the edit tabs. I scrolled through each tab
(Description, Keywords, Origin, Advanced, Details) and didn't see anything
other than the Description tab had a vastly truncated version of what
Irfanview shows with the "I" information command - yet, like Irfanview, the
existing Exif data was NOT editable.

In the Origin tab, the DATE was available if you hit the box that said "Use
Exif capture date if available" which was good. But, nowhere was there a
button that said "suck in the existing Exif data, dammit".

Did I miss something here?

Other than the Exif creation date, are you SURE that MS PhotoInfo sucks in
existing Exif data to be modified thereafter?

which I just downloaded.
Old July 8th 07, 08:48 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Susan Bugher

Crusader wrote:

Hi there Ray,
I generally avoid Microsoft bloatware products at all costs, but since
Exifer replaced but didn't allow an edit to existing Exif data, I guess
since there is no other alternative, I'm installing the Microsoft PhotoInfo
product you recommended right now after (for the umpteenth time) going
through the Windows validation process (why can't they just remember the
previous validation).

big snip

But then, I was shocked to find that, like Exifer, the proven existing Exif
data was not available in the edit tabs. I scrolled through each tab
(Description, Keywords, Origin, Advanced, Details) and didn't see anything
other than the Description tab had a vastly truncated version of what
Irfanview shows with the "I" information command - yet, like Irfanview, the
existing Exif data was NOT editable.

Program: PixVue
Author: Eamonn Coleman
W: LFW
Wa (Freeware) LFW (v 2.0.1)
http://www.softsea.com/review/PixVue.html

per info from ACF posts (saved in my Treepad file) you can add metadata
via Explorer's right click menu and you can use templates for mass
processing. (I haven't used it.)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://www.google.com/advanced_group....comp.freeware
Old July 8th 07, 09:31 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Marcin

Try "Image resizer" - simply and very fast lossless JPEG editor.
"Image resizer" contains exif editor.
You can download it from he http://semland.com/ir/#download (run, select
English language (go to "OPCJE" next click on "JEZYK").

Best wishes
Marcin Gorgolewski
www.gorgolewski.com

Uzytkownik "Crusader" napisal w wiadomosci
news

Old July 8th 07, 09:42 PM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Ray Macey

On Jul 9, 5:18 am, Crusader wrote:

Other than the Exif creation date, are you SURE that MS PhotoInfo sucks in
existing Exif data to be modified thereafter?

It's been a while since I used it, but I remember it doing that.
Having just had another look, it seems you're right and it does not.
It appears as if I was remembering another program. My apologies for
wasting your time

Ray

Old July 9th 07, 04:42 AM posted to alt.comp.freeware,rec.photo.digital,microsoft.public.windowsxp.photos
Crusader

On Sun, 08 Jul 2007 13:42:11 -0700, Ray Macey wrote:

Other than the Exif creation date, are you SURE
MS PhotoInfo modifies existing Exif data?

Having just had another look, it seems you're right and it does not.
My apologies for wasting your time

Hi there Ray,

No, you did NOT waste my time. The whole purpose of the usenet is for
people to help people and for other people to benefit from the exchange of
ideas. I think it was GREAT that you suggested a program that could have
solved the problem - in this case, a program that allowed modification of
existing Exif data.

As often happens in usenet posts, I was NOT CLEAR from the start that I
wanted to edit EXISTING data. That is my bad. I didn't realize that was a
limitation of the existing Exif-data editors until I tried one or two out.

And, it was not at all your fault I have a predisposition (call it
prejudice if you will) to not like Microsoft products due to bloat all too
often being the result. So I didn't try the MS PhotoInfo program until the
Exifer program failed first.

In addition, we didn't waste our time as we both edified the populace at
large by our exchange of ideas, suggestions, & results. So THANK YOU for
suggesting Microsoft PhotoInfo - it might be a great program for many who
don't have the specific desire to edit existing Exif data!

Thank you Ray and everyone else ... I will try the other suggested Exif
editors to see if they can modify EXISTING Exif data!