Really annoying photographer at a concert

Old March 14th 06, 06:09 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.misc

Default Really annoying photographer at a concert

I went to a bagpipe concert the other night. Now, I expect the friends
and relations of the pipers to take a couple of flash photos at a
bagpipe concert. That normally occurs. They don't know better.

However, someone who is supposed to be professional photographer should
know better.
At this bagpipe concert, there was an Army First SGT taking photos. He
was supposed to be a professional photographer.

He kept running up and down the isles of the concert, and popping the
flash on his camera all through out the concert.

I overhead a few people talking about him on the way out in the crowd
that he was really annoying.

I took photos from my seat, towards the back of the theatre. There was
one part of the concert that I would have considered using a flash, if
I was close enough to the stage for the flash to do any good.

My reason for posting this: If you are going to photograph a
theatrical production, you do not want to annoy the audience. You
want to use a fast enough lens, and a fast enough ISO film, or a fast
enough ISO setting on your digital camera to use the stage lighting.
Most of the stage lighting is hot enough to use a good lens. You do
not want the audience upset with you for disturbing the performance.

The Army First SGT at his rank - he should have known how to behave
in a theatre setting. This was not at all professional on his part.

roland

Old March 14th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.misc

On 14 Mar 2006 09:09:13 -0800, wrote:

I went to a bagpipe concert the other night. Now, I expect the friends
and relations of the pipers to take a couple of flash photos at a
bagpipe concert. That normally occurs. They don't know better.

However, someone who is supposed to be professional photographer should
know better.
At this bagpipe concert, there was an Army First SGT taking photos. He
was supposed to be a professional photographer.

He kept running up and down the isles of the concert, and popping the
flash on his camera all through out the concert.

snip

My reason for posting this: If you are going to photograph a
theatrical production, you do not want to annoy the audience. You
want to use a fast enough lens, and a fast enough ISO film, or a fast
enough ISO setting on your digital camera to use the stage lighting.
Most of the stage lighting is hot enough to use a good lens. You do
not want the audience upset with you for disturbing the performance.

snip

Good advice for photographers, and your unhappiness is understandable,
but I think it is the responsibility of the house manager to know what
kind of photography is acceptable to the performers, inform the
official photographer, and stop any disruptive behavior. I'd suggest
that you complain to the house/concert manager to avoid a repeat
"performance".

Chris Ellinger
Ann Arbor, MI
USA
Old March 15th 06, 03:38 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.misc

In article .com,
wrote:

I went to a bagpipe concert the other night. Now, I expect the friends
and relations of the pipers to take a couple of flash photos at a
bagpipe concert. That normally occurs. They don't know better.

Know why bagpipe players are always walking?

They're trying to get away from the noise.
Old March 15th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.misc

Randall Ainsworth wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

I went to a bagpipe concert the other night. Now, I expect the friends
and relations of the pipers to take a couple of flash photos at a
bagpipe concert. That normally occurs. They don't know better.

Know why bagpipe players are always walking?

They're trying to get away from the noise.

I know a lot of piper jokes. That was not the point.
The point was how a photographer should respect the people who
purchased tickets at a concert, or a play, or other theatrical event.

This photographer if he had just used a flash, or had just run up and
down the isles, or had just gone in front of the stage once or twice
would have been okay. He kept doing all of these things. No
consideration for the people who paid for the concert.

That is what I have heart burn with. His attitude that I am the
photographer, and get out of my way. I have a job to do, and if you
don't like it... tough cookies, I am going to run over you in the
process. Not at all how a someone who is supposed to be a professional
photographer is supposed to act at a live performance.

I can see two reasons for him not having a fast enough lens:

1.The Army didn't purchase a fast enough lens for the camera for this
job.

2.The photographer didn't have enough experience shooting threatrical
produtions to know he needed to choose a faster lens for the job.

From his attitude, I think it was the second reason. However, lets

just assume it was the first. If that was the case, and he had to use
a flash to get good results, he could have stayed out of the way of the
audience, and not run up and down the isles. He had no call to run
back and forth in front of the stage. If he had done that much, I think
I would have overlooked his using the flash so much.

However, he was doing three things that really disrupted the concert.
He was using a high powered flash, he was running up and down the
isles, and he was doing something that anyone who has attending more
than one or two plays or concerts, or any kind of theatrical event
figures out in a hurry knows not to do - he was walking in front of the
stage to shoot his photos. He would walk out to the center of the
stage, and pop off a photo using the flash, right in front of everybody
like nobody was in the audience. Like he didn't care about everyone
who paid for a ticket to the concert.

So all of that combined just made him seem to be a real crass person.

roland

Old March 16th 06, 01:47 AM
sobolik sobolik is offline
Junior Member

I like to take the other side of some issues as a possible service to readers. Possibly even giving you another perspective to consider. I keep reading this post and it keeps bothering me. The best I can figure it is venting due to a distaste for the Army. I started to answer once but deleted before posting because I though my post would just be taken as hostile. It is possible that I am completely misreading this and you really just feel robbed of your ticket price.

How do you know he was Army First SGT and a pro photographer? Did you ask him? Was he in uniform? "there was an Army First SGT taking photos. He was supposed to be a professional photographer."
Did you know him prior to the event?
Did you ask him to tone it down?
Why would the Army be so interested in getting pics?
I'd be curios if you know what a "First" SGT is if only learning this via the uniform.
Maybe this guy just got back from killing people in Iraq or Afghanistan and this was his way of coping and detoxing from the horrors of war. (if USA or ?)

I find it hard to believe this was posted as a service to friends and relations needing to learn better via this forum, as you state: "Now, I expect the friends and relations of the pipers to take a couple of flash photos at a bagpipe concert. That normally occurs. They don't know better."

I have never heard anyone till now say only friends and relations don't know better.

Apparently you do not know better as you say you would have also done the same thing: "There was one part of the concert that I would have considered using a flash, if I was close enough to the stage for the flash to do any good.

If he behaved like you describe why did the workers not intervene?
Surely the theater people too must have noticed such extreme actions.
Where I live people would have spoke up about such extreme actions.
"he was running up and down the
isles, and he was doing something that anyone who has attending more
than one or two plays or concerts, or any kind of theatrical event
figures out in a hurry knows not to do - he was walking in front of the
stage to shoot his photos. He would walk out to the center of the
stage, and pop off a photo using the flash, right in front of everybody
like nobody was in the audience. Like he didn't care about everyone
who paid for a ticket to the concert."

I keep reading this post and it keeps bothering me.

Last edited by sobolik : March 16th 06 at 01:53 AM.
Old March 16th 06, 03:42 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.misc

sobolik wrote:
I like to take the other side of some issues as a possible service to
readers. Possibly even giving you another perspective to consider. I
keep reading this post and it keeps bothering me. The best I can
figure it is venting due to a distaste for the Army. I started to
answer once but deleted before posting because I though my post would
just be taken as hostile. It is possible that I am completely
misreading this and you really just feel robbed of your ticket price.

I do not have a thing against the Army. I actually served in the
Marine Corps on Active Duty, and then went to college. After college I
went to work for the Army Reserves as a civilian. Now, I will joke
with some of the people I know who served on Active Duty in the Army
about them being "Army Pukes", and they call me a 'Jarhead"... but
that is fairly normal.

How do you know he was Army First SGT and a pro photographer? Did you
ask him? Was he in uniform? "there was an Army First SGT taking
photos. He was supposed to be a professional photographer."

Yes, he was in uniform. The title of the concert was "The Pipes of
War".

Did you know him prior to the event?
Did you ask him to tone it down?

Yes, I did ask him to tone it down. His attitude was, I am doing my
job, and damn the crowd.

Why would the Army be so interested in getting pics?

Because the title of the concert was "The Pipes of War", and some
members of the Army were on stage during one part of the concert. I
actually have a bit of trouble with the amount of research that the
pipe band put into the concert, as they only went over the Pipes of War
in Scotland, and once they were in this country in the Army. They did
not go over the other branches of the service, other then to mention
the Air Force once. They started with pipers in the Civil War. The
person who put together their script does not read Leatherneck
Magazine, or have any connection with the Marine Corps Pipers Network
or he would have known that there have been pipers associated with the
Marine Corps since before the Revolutionary War. The Marine Corps was
only officially established in 1775, however during the French and
Indian war there was an unofficial Marine Corps. There were Marine
pipers in the French and Indian War. This was documented in
Leatherneck Magazine about two years ago. So someone didn't do their
research very well.

I'd be curios if you know what a "First" SGT is if only learning this
via the uniform.

Yes. I spent time in both the Marine Corps full time, and the Army
Reserve part time. I know the ranks.

Maybe this guy just got back from killing people in Iraq or Afghanistan
and this was his way of coping and detoxing from the horrors of war. (if
USA or ?)

This was in the U.S.A.

I find it hard to believe this was posted as a service to friends and
relations needing to learn better via this forum, as you state: "Now,
I expect the friends and relations of the pipers to take a couple of
flash photos at a bagpipe concert. That normally occurs. They don't
know better."

At a bagpipe concert, I sort of expect friends and family to pop off a
couple of flashes at the start of the concert. After that they give
up. That is normal. Most of them don't have a high enough powered
flash that it does any good anyway.

I have never heard anyone till now say only friends and relations don't
know better.

Apparently you do not know better as you say you would have also done
the same thing: "There was one part of the concert that I would have
considered using a flash, if I was close enough to the stage for the
flash to do any good.

I said there was one part where a flash may have been called for if you
really needed it, and the band says you absolutly had to do it. This
was the only time it was really required. That was actually the part of
the concert the Army was doing a presentation on Stage.
They didn't light the stage very well for that part. That was the only
part of the entire program that may have called for using a flash.

If he behaved like you describe why did the workers not intervene?
Surely the theater people too must have noticed such extreme actions.

People did.

Where I live people would have spoke up about such extreme actions.
"he was running up and down the
isles, and he was doing something that anyone who has attending more
than one or two plays or concerts, or any kind of theatrical event
figures out in a hurry knows not to do - he was walking in front of
the
stage to shoot his photos. He would walk out to the center of the
stage, and pop off a photo using the flash, right in front of
everybody
like nobody was in the audience. Like he didn't care about everyone
who paid for a ticket to the concert."

People besides me did talk to him. He just had the attitude that he
had a job to do, and didn't care about the people in the audience. The
other Army Soldiers stood at the back of the theatre through out the
performance so they would not wrinkle their uniforms until their part
of the performance. Some people also commented about this being
distracting.

If they were going to stand around, they should have stood outside.
Just not the way people should act. Anyway, the information will get
back to either the pipe major of the bagpipe band, or the Drum Major
one way or another, sooner or later.

Over all, it was only a fair bagpipe concert. Not that band's best.
They started out out of tune. I think that was because they marched in
a parade in the morning in 30 degee weather, and then brought the pipes
inside. The pipes needed to be retuned, and they didn't get them all
tuned good before the concert started.

Then all of this running around... people were not happy about it.

roland

Old March 16th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.misc

wrote in message
oups.com...

Yes, I did ask him to tone it down. His attitude was, I am doing my
job, and damn the crowd.

Isn't that the point right there? I can understand how this would be
distracting and overall lessen the enjoyment but his job is to please his
client, whoever that may be, right? Could he have been more courteous about
it? Perhaps but the only people who could be reasonably expected to get him
to change his behavior IMHO are the ones that hired him or gave him the
assignment.

Old March 17th 06, 01:07 AM
sobolik sobolik is offline
Junior Member

After further review I must sympathize with you. And its is a shame for these kinds of things to form such powerful lasting bad memories.

I will have to give some extra thought when getting pics at public events and consider more carefully that it may be too much of an intrusion. I have seen a few instances like this but not on the photo subject. Thanks for the awareness heads up. I'm not prone to being rude but then I don't want to start any bad habits now.

Last edited by sobolik : March 17th 06 at 02:02 AM.
Old March 22nd 06, 09:34 AM posted to rec.photo.technique.misc

normally you photograph a dress rehearsal. but I thought bag pipes were
loud enough for a battlefield, to cover over the sounds of people screaming
in pain from having their limbs hacked off.

oups.com...

Old March 24th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.photo.technique.misc

On Wed, 22 Mar 2006 00:34:32 -0800, "zeitgeist"
wrote:

normally you photograph a dress rehearsal. but I thought bag pipes were
loud enough for a battlefield, to cover over the sounds of people screaming
in pain from having their limbs hacked off.

Actually, you can hear the screaming just fine - but that's more
because of the pain from the dound of the bagpipes.