Rule of Thirds?

Old November 21st 03, 10:01 PM
Toke Eskildsen

Default Rule of Thirds?

I read a short article on about.com about the Rule of Thirds:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/librar...leofthirds.htm

This article surprised me somewhat as I have never heard about such
rule. I do however know of the Golden Section.

The Golden Section positions the lines approximately 38% from the edges
of the picture, whereas the Rule of Thirds positions the lines
approximately 33% from the edges. If I overlay the two types of guides
on an image, I find that the suggestions for composition are rather
different.

I know that both the Rule of Thirds and the Golden Section are
suggestions only, but I'd like to know if I generally should stick to
the Golden Section or if the Rule of Thirds is just as valid? Is the
Rule of Thirds just meant as an easy approximation to the Golden
Section?
Old November 21st 03, 11:26 PM
Slingblade

On 21 Nov 2003 21:01:32 GMT, Toke Eskildsen
wrote:

I read a short article on about.com about the Rule of Thirds:
http://graphicssoft.about.com/librar...leofthirds.htm
This article surprised me somewhat as I have never heard about such
rule. I do however know of the Golden Section.
The Golden Section positions the lines approximately 38% from the edges
of the picture, whereas the Rule of Thirds positions the lines
approximately 33% from the edges. If I overlay the two types of guides
on an image, I find that the suggestions for composition are rather
different.
I know that both the Rule of Thirds and the Golden Section are
suggestions only, but I'd like to know if I generally should stick to
the Golden Section or if the Rule of Thirds is just as valid? Is the
Rule of Thirds just meant as an easy approximation to the Golden
Section?

I've been an amateur (occasional for hire) photographer for over 20
years and this is the first time I've ever heard of the "Golden
Section"...I have, however heard of the "Rule of Thirds" pretty much
since the beginning. In fact, I recall the first time I ever heard
about it was when one of my friends who was a semi-pro photographer
mentioned that I had an eye for composition after seeing some of my
earlier works and went on to explain the rule of thirds to me. That
was about 20 years ago.
Old November 22nd 03, 12:00 AM
Slingblade

Considering I'd never heard of this, I did a google search and came up
with a very interesting website...

http://evolutionoftruth.com/goldensection

No mention of photography though! I still say the Rule of Thirds is a
good rule to use.
Old November 22nd 03, 12:24 AM
Phil Stripling

Slingblade writes:

SNIP
No mention of photography though! I still say the Rule of Thirds is a
good rule to use.

I majored in drama, and several courses mentioned the Golden Section in
various ways. I heard of it before I heard of the Rule of Thirds. I would
not say that neither rule is more than a guide, although (having heard of
the it first) I think the Golden Section is more pleasing generally.

If someone must have an articulable rule, either will do. Having an eye is
better. :-).

I have to say that guessing a third instead of 38% may cause less confusion
and second guessing, but if the original poster can see the difference in
his photographs, go for the one which is more pleasing to his eye. Having a
rule and following it is not as good as knowing when to break it.
Old November 22nd 03, 12:26 AM
Toke Eskildsen

Slingblade wrote:

[Snip Golden Section]

No mention of photography though! I still say the Rule of Thirds
is a good rule to use.

I'm sure it is, since that seems to be the normal rule of thumb.

However, I'd like to know if one of the rules are better than the
other, if we disregard the extra time it takes to calculate the Golden
Section?
Old November 22nd 03, 12:44 AM
Toke Eskildsen

Phil Stripling wrote:

If someone must have an articulable rule, either will do. Having
an eye is better. :-).

Ouch. Oh well, I guess I should have made my intentions clear from the
beginning. I'm working on a little pet project which is a simple
program for cropping images. The program is aimed at people who does
not want to spend too much time on photography: My mom, dad and their
vacation photos.

I thought that it would be interesting to introduce an overlay like the
one showed on the page on about.com, but I fear that if I give the
choice of the Rule of Thirds vs. the Golden Section, people will send
emails asking which one to use.

I'm leaning towards the Golden Section, but that might be because I've
known that one the longest.
Old November 22nd 03, 02:18 AM
Phil Stripling

Toke Eskildsen writes:

Phil Stripling wrote:

If someone must have an articulable rule, either will do. Having
an eye is better. :-).

Ouch.

That was a compliment to slingblade, not a comment directed to you.

Old November 22nd 03, 05:59 PM
Steve

On 21 Nov 2003 23:26:46 GMT, Toke Eskildsen wrote:

Slingblade wrote:

[Snip Golden Section]

No mention of photography though! I still say the Rule of Thirds
is a good rule to use.

I'm sure it is, since that seems to be the normal rule of thumb.

However, I'd like to know if one of the rules are better than the
other, if we disregard the extra time it takes to calculate the Golden
Section?

Oh come on, don't you think it all depends on the picture? How can you
possibly debate the difference between 33% and 38% without regard to what's
in the frame? Frankly, if you're going to impose such an arbitrary blanket
rule on all pictures then any number will work as well (or as badly) as any
other. These rules are *approximations*, rules of thumb - and like all
rules should be broken on a regular basis. Choosing between 33% and 38% is
pseudo-precision at best.
Old November 23rd 03, 02:14 AM
Angela M. Cable

Toke Eskildsen wrote:

Phil Stripling wrote:

If someone must have an articulable rule, either will do. Having
an eye is better. :-).

Ouch. Oh well, I guess I should have made my intentions clear from the
beginning. I'm working on a little pet project which is a simple
program for cropping images. The program is aimed at people who does
not want to spend too much time on photography: My mom, dad and their
vacation photos.

I don't know if this would help or not, I wrote this a while back for
some folks having trouble with artistic cropping:
http://www.fortunecity.com/westwood/...ials/cropping/

--
Angela M. Cable
PSP8 Private Beta Tester

PSP Tutorial Links:
http://www.psplinks.com
5th Street Studio, free graphics, websets and mo
http://www.fortunecity.com/westwood/alaia/354/
Old November 23rd 03, 02:41 AM
Bob Sull

Slingblade wrote:

I've been an amateur (occasional for hire) photographer for over 20
years and this is the first time I've ever heard of the "Golden
Section"...I have, however heard of the "Rule of Thirds" pretty much
since the beginning. In fact, I recall the first time I ever heard
about it was when one of my friends who was a semi-pro photographer
mentioned that I had an eye for composition after seeing some of my
earlier works and went on to explain the rule of thirds to me. That
was about 20 years ago.

I've been in this for almost 30 years and this is the first I have heard
ofthe "golden Section" too. The "Rule of Thirds" has been around longer
than I have.....

Bob