Flash gun attachment

Old November 30th 08, 11:42 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
eugene

Default Flash gun attachment

Sorry for pestering people tonight but I have another query. A couple of
years ago I saw a wedding photographer using some sort of swivel attachment
for his flashgun. It meant that if he was taking an upright photo, the gun
remained above the lens thus avoiding shadows. I have searched for this but
I cannot find it. It was a Canon camera he was using so presumably the
attachment was also Canon. he told me he bought it in Dublin and it cost
about £180. Anybody able to enlighten me please?

Eugene
--
"and in the end, the love you save is equal to the love you made"

Old November 30th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , eugene
wrote:

Sorry for pestering people tonight but I have another query. A couple of
years ago I saw a wedding photographer using some sort of swivel attachment
for his flashgun. It meant that if he was taking an upright photo, the gun
remained above the lens thus avoiding shadows. I have searched for this but
I cannot find it. It was a Canon camera he was using so presumably the
attachment was also Canon. he told me he bought it in Dublin and it cost
about £180. Anybody able to enlighten me please?

sounds like a flash bracket, such as a stroboframe:

http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?tablename=stroboframe
Old November 30th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
eugene

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , eugene
wrote:

Sorry for pestering people tonight but I have another query. A couple of
years ago I saw a wedding photographer using some sort of swivel
attachment
for his flashgun. It meant that if he was taking an upright photo, the
gun
remained above the lens thus avoiding shadows. I have searched for this
but
I cannot find it. It was a Canon camera he was using so presumably the
attachment was also Canon. he told me he bought it in Dublin and it cost
about £180. Anybody able to enlighten me please?

sounds like a flash bracket, such as a stroboframe:

http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?tablename=stroboframe

No, I don't think it was anything like that. It seemed quite neat and
unobtrusive.

--
"and in the end, the love you save is equal to the love you made"

Old November 30th 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alan Browne

eugene wrote:

"nospam" wrote in message
In article , eugene
wrote:

I cannot find it. It was a Canon camera he was using so presumably the
attachment was also Canon. he told me he bought it in Dublin and it cost
about £180. Anybody able to enlighten me please?

sounds like a flash bracket, such as a stroboframe:

http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?tablename=stroboframe

No, I don't think it was anything like that. It seemed quite neat and
unobtrusive.

Well, it "is" neat and unobtrusive with the camera and flash on it. I
have one (a different, larger model than the one shown) and other than
getting the flash further away, it's not that noticeable.

-- e-meil: Remove FreeLunch.
Old December 1st 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen Smithee

"eugene" wrote in message

Sorry for pestering people tonight but I have another query. A couple of
years ago I saw a wedding photographer using some sort of swivel
attachment for his flashgun. It meant that if he was taking an upright
photo, the gun remained above the lens thus avoiding shadows. I have
searched for this but I cannot find it. It was a Canon camera he was using
so presumably the attachment was also Canon. he told me he bought it in
Dublin and it cost about £180. Anybody able to enlighten me please?

Sounds like a Camera rotator/flash rotator bracket. There are a few popular
ones:
Tiffen: http://www.tiffen.com/products.html?...me=stroboframe
Really Right Stuff: http://reallyrightstuff.com/flash/04.html
Newton Camera Brackets: http://www.newtoncamerabrackets.com/default-old.htm
Custom Brackets:
http://www.custombrackets.com/script...?idproduct=130

There is also this one, which looks pretty compact, but I haven't heard from
anyone who has used it:
Dot Line Stealth:
http://dotlinecorp.net/index.php?mai...uct s_id=6345

Some keep the flash in the horizontal position all the time and some are
designed to flip the flash so that in portrait, the flash is also moved to
portrait position (even though it is still above the camera).

Canon do a flash bracket called a SB-E2, but to be honest, I don't see the
point in it as it puts the flash to the side of the camera in landscape
orientation, which means that you are going to have a potential shadow
problem in landscape position.

Old December 1st 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
eugene

"Allen Smithee" wrote in message
"eugene" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for all that info. I eventually did remember that it was called a
rotator and you have given me some good choices. They are a bit expensive
right enough but I'll have a good look. Thanks again,

Eugene

--
"and in the end, the love you save is equal to the love you made"

Old December 1st 08, 12:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Allen Smithee

"eugene" wrote in message

[...]

Yeah, I think that most of them are over-priced for what they are. Once you
have an idea what you want, don't forget to look on ebay. You may be able
to find cheaper versions (don't know what the quality is like though) for
around £15.

Old December 1st 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Jurgen[_4_]

eugene wrote:

Sorry for pestering people tonight but I have another query. A couple of
years ago I saw a wedding photographer using some sort of swivel
attachment for his flashgun. It meant that if he was taking an upright
photo, the gun remained above the lens thus avoiding shadows. I have
searched for this but I cannot find it. It was a Canon camera he was
using so presumably the attachment was also Canon. he told me he bought
it in Dublin and it cost about £180. Anybody able to enlighten me please?

Eugene

Some time ago I made a "L" shaped aluminium bracket for my SLR which
bolted to the bottom via the tripod thread and used a cable from the hot
shoe to the speedlite.

I glued a hot shoe from an old slave to the top of the cable socket and
bolted another one to the bracket I made which allowed me to move the
flash from top to side without disconnecting it.

The only problem was in the coverage but a diffuser on the flash made up
for the change from portrait to landscape orientation light fall off.

Even if you had to by a couple of hot shoes, I couldn't see it costing
more than a few bucks. Of course you might not see yourself as a
"handyman" in which case you'll probably need to pay the money and get a
store bought model!