Surfing Novices

Old September 23rd 17, 07:12 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Ron C

Default Surfing Novices

On 9/23/2017 1:55 AM, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 22, 2017, nospam wrote
(in ) :

In iganews.com,
Savageduck wrote:

Seems at times the long URLs are broken at the
sending app.

they aren't broken.

this url might look like it's broken, but it's not:

http://www.
cnn.
com

How strange, it is behaving broken in both Unison and Hogwasher.

then both apps are broken.

Sigh.....

Dare say, who expects a few hex: 2E0A (s) in the middle of a url?
;-)
--
l...
r c
Old September 23rd 17, 07:34 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Ron C
wrote:

Seems at times the long URLs are broken at the
sending app.

they aren't broken.

this url might look like it's broken, but it's not:

http://www.
cnn.
com

How strange, it is behaving broken in both Unison and Hogwasher.

then both apps are broken.

Sigh.....

Dare say, who expects a few hex: 2E0A (s) in the middle of a url?
;-)

everyone who writes software that's used in the real world does.

further, embedded whitespace in a url is *not* unexpected. it happens
for a variety of reasons and well written software *must* be able to
handle it. the rfcs explain it in further detail, which you clearly
have not read.

and as for not handling unexpected input, just ask equifax how well
that worked out.
Old September 23rd 17, 11:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 20:50:21 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

So there isn't. But try this one.

http://tinyurl.com/y74ezed9

It looks as though your timing was off on this one.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/h0seayar03mbbmt/screenshot_171.png

"Sorry, this content isn't available right now"

...so?
What did you think is being said regarding the Eric surfing shot
that nobody can see?

Well, that wasn't my surfing shot or, at least, I didn't post it.

So you didn¹t post http://tinyurl.com/y74ezed9 ?

The dropbox link was to a screenshot of what I saw when attempting to
open your tinyurl.

You could have explained that.

The URL does say ³screenshot_171.png².
It was not as if I was trying to deceive anybody.

I don't normally read URLs. Perhaps I should?

what you should do is test urls before posting, and do so in a browser
that is *not* logged into whatever site it is.

I do test but the problem with face book is that it recognises my
email address and automatically logs me in.

also stop using tinyurl.

Ignore it if you don't like it. Other people find it useful.

Eric Stevens
Old September 23rd 17, 11:53 PM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 17:55:30 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Sep 22, 2017, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 06:57:40 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Le Snip

The URL does say “screenshot_171.png”.
It was not as if I was trying to deceive anybody.

I don't normally read URLs. Perhaps I should?

Perhaps you should.
It is worthwhile considering the source, or individual posting before blindly
clicking on any URL.

For example, I have no problem trusting DB, Adobe CC, Smugmug, Flickr, and
TinyURL (if used when there are going to be obvious long URL issues, or if
the TinyURL preview option is used) links from the usual group of
contributors. However, as with some mystery emails, and mystery Usenet
posters, one should be a tad cautious.

That's a different situation. I most definitely do read the URLs from
mystery posters and phishermen.

Eric Stevens
Old September 24th 17, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I don't normally read URLs. Perhaps I should?

what you should do is test urls before posting, and do so in a browser
that is *not* logged into whatever site it is.

I do test but the problem with face book is that it recognises my
email address and automatically logs me in.

then you aren't testing it properly. note where i said not logged in.

also stop using tinyurl.

Ignore it if you don't like it. Other people find it useful.

more people would find it useful if you used proper delimiters.
Old September 24th 17, 12:38 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Perhaps you should.
It is worthwhile considering the source, or individual posting before
blindly
clicking on any URL.

For example, I have no problem trusting DB, Adobe CC, Smugmug, Flickr, and
TinyURL (if used when there are going to be obvious long URL issues, or if
the TinyURL preview option is used) links from the usual group of
contributors. However, as with some mystery emails, and mystery Usenet
posters, one should be a tad cautious.

That's a different situation. I most definitely do read the URLs from
mystery posters and phishermen.

you can't do that if they're tinyurl'ed.
Old September 24th 17, 01:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 19:38:19 -0400, nospam

Old September 24th 17, 01:57 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 19:38:21 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

Perhaps you should.
It is worthwhile considering the source, or individual posting before
blindly
clicking on any URL.

For example, I have no problem trusting DB, Adobe CC, Smugmug, Flickr, and
TinyURL (if used when there are going to be obvious long URL issues, or if
the TinyURL preview option is used) links from the usual group of
contributors. However, as with some mystery emails, and mystery Usenet
posters, one should be a tad cautious.

That's a different situation. I most definitely do read the URLs from
mystery posters and phishermen.

you can't do that if they're tinyurl'ed.

I don't respond to mystery posters or phishermen unless I approve of
their URLs. For the last several months I've been been receiving a
dozen a day or more.

Eric Stevens
Old September 24th 17, 01:58 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I don't respond to mystery posters or phishermen unless I approve of
their URLs. For the last several months I've been been receiving a
dozen a day or more.

via email? get better spam filtering.
Old September 24th 17, 08:50 AM posted to rec.photo.digital,alt.photography
Eric Stevens

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 20:58:53 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

I don't respond to mystery posters or phishermen unless I approve of
their URLs. For the last several months I've been been receiving a
dozen a day or more.

via email? get better spam filtering.

I've got spam filtering. The problem is that unless you (or the
software) knows better they all look genuine.

Eric Stevens

Surfing with a motorcycle Sandman Digital Photography 2 August 4th 15 02:59 PM
EVF's for novices Irwell Digital Photography 1 August 11th 10 04:15 AM
EVF's for novices bobwilliams Digital Photography 2 August 10th 10 05:36 AM
Surfing pics DD 35mm Photo Equipment 7 July 4th 06 06:30 AM
Website for DSLR/SLR Amateurs & Novices Sharp Shooter Digital SLR Cameras 2 June 7th 05 09:04 AM