Nikon releases...another black DSLR...ho hum...

Old April 13th 17, 10:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Nikon releases...another black DSLR...ho hum...

On Tue, 11 Apr 2017 22:09:02 -0700 (PDT), Rich A
wrote:

Nothing against the camera, I'm sure (unless there is a QC glitch) it'll be very capable. But does it really help them as much as say...a new, solid mirrorless would?

https://www.dpreview.com/news/974351...ent=8532141441

Since this one is a slightly dumbd down D500 I think the chances of a
QC issue are much less than if it were new tech. I'm sure it's a very
capable cam, but it is just another undifferentiated SLR to me.

Then again, maybe I'm just a bit jaded by it all lately.
Old April 13th 17, 10:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

Nothing against the camera, I'm sure (unless there is a QC glitch)
it'll be very capable. But does it really help them as much as say...a
new, solid mirrorless would?

https://www.dpreview.com/news/974351...ent=8532141441

Since

this one is a slightly dumbd down D500 I think the chances of a
QC issue are much less than if it were new tech. I'm sure it's a very
capable cam, but it is just another undifferentiated SLR to me.

Then again, maybe I'm just a bit jaded by it all lately.

Yup! Nikon is doing all it can to protect D500 sales. The D7500 is
enough of a dumbed down D500 with the second SD slot removed and the
remaining one downgraded to UI. Quite frankly the D7200 is the best
value among the Nikon consumer APS-C DSLRs, and it is a better
performer than the D7500.

Who is actually going to buy this sham D500 when the real thing is
available for not much more?

Savageduck

Old April 14th 17, 03:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

The price difference will buy a decent lens, but I'm surprised no one
has mentioned the resolution drop. The D500 was a noticeable step up in
resolution compared to the aged D300s. But the D7500 is a drop against
the D7200.

Yup! The D7500 is a pointless release. Those folks looking to upgrade
from a D7100 or D7200 should consider keeping the camera they already
own. They are not going to be happy with the D7500. For those looking
for second body to pair with a D500, buy a D7200, or scrounge for
another D500. For those looking for an upgrade from a D300S, leap to
the D500, or settle for a D7200. ...or do what I did and go mirrorless
with a system change, and buy an X-T2.

This would have been a great opportunity for Nikon to launch a
revolutionary mirrorless instead of this unimpressive intermediate
stop-gap DSLR. However, I doubt that Nikon will admit any development
error. So expect a D500S soon via firmware, and a long wait for a
meaningful Nikon offering.

Savageduck

Old April 14th 17, 08:19 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
android

wrote:

Nothing against the camera, I'm sure (unless there is a QC glitch) it'll be
very capable. But does it really help them as much as say...a new, solid
mirrorless would?

https://www.dpreview.com/news/974351...ge-d7500-dslr?
comment=8532141441

Since this one is a slightly dumbd down D500 I think the chances of a
QC issue are much less than if it were new tech. I'm sure it's a very
capable cam, but it is just another undifferentiated SLR to me.

Dumping the AF-S for AF-A is dumb enough for the price to make it no go
area for aspiring photogs. Fuji, Sony or Canon for them...
--
teleportation kills
Old April 14th 17, 09:10 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
David Taylor

On 14/04/2017 03:13, Savageduck wrote:
[]
Yup! The D7500 is a pointless release. Those folks looking to upgrade
from a D7100 or D7200 should consider keeping the camera they already
own. They are not going to be happy with the D7500. For those looking
for second body to pair with a D500, buy a D7200, or scrounge for
another D500. For those looking for an upgrade from a D300S, leap to the
D500, or settle for a D7200. ...or do what I did and go mirrorless with
a system change, and buy an X-T2.

This would have been a great opportunity for Nikon to launch a
revolutionary mirrorless instead of this unimpressive intermediate
stop-gap DSLR. However, I doubt that Nikon will admit any development
error. So expect a D500S soon via firmware, and a long wait for a
meaningful Nikon offering.

I do wish I could disagree with you, being a long-time Nikon user and
advocate. But I can't. I've taken the mirrorless route as you have,
albeit with a somewhat smaller and lighter format. Never looked back.
I wish Nikon would "get with the programme".

--
Cheers,
David
Old April 14th 17, 09:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article 2017041319132610962-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
says...
This would have been a great opportunity for Nikon to launch a
revolutionary mirrorless instead of this unimpressive intermediate
stop-gap DSLR.

The problem is the lenses. Nikon would have to start from scratch with a
whole new set of lenses and people would be scared that the current
Nikon lens mount might be abandoned.

Nikon and Canon are in the same situation as Kodak was years ago.
Heavily committed to a dying technology.
--
Alfred Molon

Old April 14th 17, 09:20 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Alfred
Molon wrote:

This would have been a great opportunity for Nikon to launch a
revolutionary mirrorless instead of this unimpressive intermediate
stop-gap DSLR.

The problem is the lenses. Nikon would have to start from scratch with a
whole new set of lenses and people would be scared that the current
Nikon lens mount might be abandoned.

adapters.

Nikon and Canon are in the same situation as Kodak was years ago.
Heavily committed to a dying technology.

it's not dying.
Old April 14th 17, 11:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-04-14 20:04:43 +0000, Alfred Molon said:

In article 2017041319132610962-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
says...
This would have been a great opportunity for Nikon to launch a
revolutionary mirrorless instead of this unimpressive intermediate
stop-gap DSLR.

The problem is the lenses. Nikon would have to start from scratch with a
whole new set of lenses and people would be scared that the current
Nikon lens mount might be abandoned.

Starting from scratch is exactly what they need to do. They need a new
mount and a mirrorless lens development road map in much the same way
Fujifilm did with their XF lenses. For current Nikkor APS-C & FF lenses
they should develop an adaptor, but they should produce a series of
very good lenses, not bargain basement stuff for whatever mirrorless
they actually develop. They should not compromise the mirrorless
concept by trying to make the current APS-C or FF mounts work.

Nikon and Canon are in the same situation as Kodak was years ago.
Heavily committed to a dying technology.

Not necessarily.
There is always going to be a place for the FF & APS-C DSLR's, and
there is going to be a place for MF and mirrorless. The issue is how
serious is Nikon going to be, to chase after a share of the growing
mirrorless market. Especially by adressing what makes the successful
mirrorless cameras so desirable and successful. One of their big
problems is, they have a very different corporate character to Fujifilm
and Olympus, and they would have a lot of catching up to do in that PR
area.

All I can say is, now that I have made the move to an X-E2 and an X-T2,
and the Fujinon X-lens system, I am not sure what Nikon could do to
lure me back.

Savageduck

Old April 15th 17, 08:03 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article 2017041415213146501-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
says...
All I can say is, now that I have made the move to an X-E2 and an X-T2,
and the Fujinon X-lens system, I am not sure what Nikon could do to
lure me back.

And probably you wouldn't go back to a camera with a swinging mirror,
now that mirrorless camera have caught up a even surpassed mirrored
cameras in some areas.
--
Alfred Molon

Old April 15th 17, 08:39 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On 2017-04-15 19:03:06 +0000, Alfred Molon said:

In article 2017041415213146501-savageduck1@REMOVESPAMmecom, Savageduck
says...
All I can say is, now that I have made the move to an X-E2 and an X-T2,
and the Fujinon X-lens system, I am not sure what Nikon could do to
lure me back.

And probably you wouldn't go back to a camera with a swinging mirror,
now that mirrorless camera have caught up a even surpassed mirrored
cameras in some areas.

I somewhat agree with that sentiment. However, never say never. Who
knows what bright shiny bait might be dangled to tempt me back to a
flappy mirror?

Savageduck