Stupid computer reviews

Old September 18th 17, 04:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Default Stupid computer reviews

In article , PeterN
wrote:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

what's amazing is how someone so stupid could be president of ibm.

He was far from stupid.

for a businessperson, perhaps, but not as a technologist.
Old September 18th 17, 03:44 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 18, 2017, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Sunday, 17 September 2017 10:10:33 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 20:16:20 -0400,
wrote:

In , Eric Stevens
wrote:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

what's amazing is how someone so stupid could be president of ibm.

You have to remember exactly what the computers of 1943 were like. You
also have to remember what (little) they could do.

Eric Stevens

What computers were around in 1943 ?

Since you wanted answers for 1943, try “Z3”, “Colossus”, and “ENIAC” for starters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z3_(computer)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer

Savageduck

Old September 18th 17, 03:48 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 18, 2017, Savageduck wrote
(in iganews.com):

On Sep 18, 2017, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Sunday, 17 September 2017 10:10:33 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 20:16:20 -0400,
wrote:

In , Eric Stevens
wrote:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

what's amazing is how someone so stupid could be president of ibm.

You have to remember exactly what the computers of 1943 were like. You
also have to remember what (little) they could do.

Eric Stevens

What computers were around in 1943 ?

Since you wanted answers for 1943, try “Z3”, “Colossus”, and “ENIAC” for starters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z3_(computer)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer

....er,

Old September 19th 17, 12:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 02:43:20 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Sunday, 17 September 2017 10:10:33 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 20:16:20 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

what's amazing is how someone so stupid could be president of ibm.

You have to remember exactly what the computers of 1943 were like. You
also have to remember what (little) they could do.

Eric Stevens

What computers were around in 1943 ?

Precisely.

Eric Stevens
Old September 19th 17, 12:47 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 07:44:11 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

On Sep 18, 2017, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Sunday, 17 September 2017 10:10:33 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 20:16:20 -0400,
wrote:

In , Eric Stevens
wrote:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

what's amazing is how someone so stupid could be president of ibm.

You have to remember exactly what the computers of 1943 were like. You
also have to remember what (little) they could do.

Eric Stevens

What computers were around in 1943 ?

Since you wanted answers for 1943, try “Z3”, “Colossus”, and “ENIAC” for starters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z3_(computer)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC

ENIAC was 1946

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer

Then there was someone in the US who in the late 1930s built the first
computer with capacitive memory storage: the first modern memory. I
can't remember his name and I can't find a reference.

Eric Stevens
Old September 19th 17, 01:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 09:04:18 -0700 (PDT), Whisky-dave
wrote:

On Monday, 18 September 2017 15:44:23 UTC+1, Savageduck wrote:
On Sep 18, 2017, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Sunday, 17 September 2017 10:10:33 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 20:16:20 -0400,
wrote:

In , Eric Stevens
wrote:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

what's amazing is how someone so stupid could be president of ibm.

You have to remember exactly what the computers of 1943 were like. You
also have to remember what (little) they could do.

Eric Stevens

What computers were around in 1943 ?

Since you wanted answers for 1943, try “Z3”, “Colossus”, and “ENIAC” for starters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z3_(computer)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer

Those were pretty top secret at the time so I;m not sure how IBM came to the conclusion that the world market would be for 5 of them, they didn't exist not truely programable ones.
The E3 wasn't classed as electronic as it still used valves ...

Don't be bloody silly! Electronics almost exclusively made use of
valves for the first 60 years.

although I guess you could still call it a computer, I watched a program about ada lovelace and that describe what people saw as a computer, and I;'m not sure who would of know about it during the war.
ENIAC was in 1945 not 43.

I'd heard that is was someone in the UK that stated we'd probbaly have 5 computers in the UK.

We didn't get one until the 1960s.

https://cameroncounts.wordpress.com/...-mary-college/

ICL 1905E eh? My old employer of years past got one of those to
replace its ICT 1300. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICT_1301

Eric Stevens
Old September 19th 17, 01:08 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

What computers were around in 1943 ?

Since you wanted answers for 1943, try Z3, Colossus, and ENIAC for
starters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z3_(computer)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC

ENIAC was 1946

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer

Then there was someone in the US who in the late 1930s built the first
computer with capacitive memory storage: the first modern memory. I
can't remember his name and I can't find a reference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atanasoff*Berry_computer
Conceived in 1937, the machine was built by Iowa State College
mathematics and physics professor John Vincent Atanasoff with the
help of graduate student Clifford Berry. It was designed only to
solve systems of linear equations and was successfully tested in
1942.
The memory of the Atanasoff*Berry Computer was a system called
regenerative capacitor memory, which consisted of a pair of drums,
each containing 1600 capacitors that rotated on a common shaft once
per second. The capacitors on each drum were organized into 32
"bands" of 50 (30 active bands and two spares in case a capacitor
failed), giving the machine a speed of 30 additions/subtractions per
second. Data was represented as 50-bit binary fixed-point numbers.
The electronics of the memory and arithmetic units could store and
operate on 60 such numbers at a time (3000 bits).

however, the z1 was earlier:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z1_(computer)
The Z1 was a mechanical computer designed by Konrad Zuse from 1935 to
1936 and built by him from 1936 to 1938. It was a binary electrically
driven mechanical calculator with limited programmability, reading
instructions from punched celluloid film.
Old September 19th 17, 01:42 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Savageduck[_3_]

On Sep 18, 2017, Eric Stevens wrote
(in ):

wrote:

On Sep 18, 2017, Whisky-dave wrote
(in ):

On Sunday, 17 September 2017 10:10:33 UTC+1, Eric Stevens wrote:
On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 20:16:20 -0400,
wrote:

In , Eric Stevens
wrote:

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."
Thomas Watson, president of IBM, 1943

what's amazing is how someone so stupid could be president of ibm.

You have to remember exactly what the computers of 1943 were like. You
also have to remember what (little) they could do.

What computers were around in 1943 ?

Since you wanted answers for 1943, try “Z3”, “Colossus”, and “ENIAC” for starters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z3_(computer)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ENIAC

ENIAC was 1946

However, most of those listed were ongoing projects, subject to constant development, and change. For ENIAC that started in 1943.
From the article above.

“The construction contract was signed on June 5, 1943; work on the computer began in secret at theUniversity of Pennsylvania’s Moore School of Electrical Engineering the following month, under the code name "Project PX”,…”

Then there was this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atanasoff–Berry_computer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossus_computer

Then there was someone in the US who in the late 1930s built the first
computer with capacitive memory storage: the first modern memory. I
can't remember his name and I can't find a reference.

I don’t know about the US, but does the work of this guy ring a bell?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._E._Wynn-Williams

Savageduck

Old September 19th 17, 10:03 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 20:08:18 -0400, nospam
wrote:

In article , Eric Stevens
wrote:

What computers were around in 1943 ?

Since you wanted answers for 1943, try ³Z3², ³Colossus², and ³ENIAC² for
[...]

That's the one. Thanks.

Old September 19th 17, 10:09 AM posted to rec.photo.digital
Eric Stevens

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 17:42:50 -0700, Savageduck
wrote:

Then there was someone in the US who in the late 1930s built the first
computer with capacitive memory storage: the first modern memory. I
can't remember his name and I can't find a reference.

I don’t know about the US, but does the work of this guy ring a bell?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._E._Wynn-Williams

This was something different again. Wynn-Williams was into logic
circuits.

Eric Stevens