Movie made about Kodachrome

Old September 10th 17, 07:47 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
[email protected]

Default Movie made about Kodachrome

On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 4:32:45 AM UTC-4, RichA wrote:
Premiering at the Toronto International Film Festival.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1880399/...f_=il_tl_li_tt

Kodachrome ASA 10 required an exposure of 1/60th at f6:3 in bright sunlight. When the sensitivity went up to ASA 25, we rejoiced.

I have some Kodachrome slides from 1955 that are still bright and quite sharp, with no fading at all.That is because it was basically a black and white film, to which 3 colors were added in post-processing, a brilliant idea, from 2 classical musicians.

Mort Linder
Old September 10th 17, 08:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

Kodachrome ASA 10 required an exposure of 1/60th at f6:3 in bright sunlight.
When the sensitivity went up to ASA 25, we rejoiced.

fortunately, those days are long gone.

I have some Kodachrome slides from 1955 that are still bright and quite
sharp, with no fading at all.

yes there has. you just haven't noticed it because it's gradual and
slow and have no reference to measure it. all films fade, even
kodachrome.

That is because it was basically a black and
white film, to which 3 colors were added in post-processing, a brilliant
idea, from 2 classical musicians.

for its time maybe, but it was overly complex, not particularly
accurate and is now history.
Old September 10th 17, 09:29 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article , nospam
wrote:

for its time maybe, but it was overly complex, not particularly
accurate and is now history.

It may not have been "technically" accurate (opinions differ) but I
liked it then and my Kodachromes of the 60's look far better today than
ANY other film.

Complexity wasn't a problem as long as someone else was processing it.
I hardly ever bothered to do E-4 or E-6 in my own darkroom.
Old September 10th 17, 09:35 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Scott Schuckert
wrote:

for its time maybe, but it was overly complex, not particularly
accurate and is now history.

It may not have been "technically" accurate (opinions differ)

it's not a matter of opinion. it's measurably *not* very accurate.

but I
liked it then and my Kodachromes of the 60's look far better today than
ANY other film.

many people did like it, and for those who do, it's trivial to get the
same 'kodachrome look' with digital.

Complexity wasn't a problem as long as someone else was processing it.
I hardly ever bothered to do E-4 or E-6 in my own darkroom.

complexity was definitely a problem because it had to be sent back to
kodak or a handful of other labs that could do it, *all* of which are
now history.

ektachrome could be processed by just about any photo lab on premises
(no chance for loss/damage in the mail), usually the same day.
Old September 12th 17, 10:22 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Scott Schuckert

In article , nospam
wrote:

many people did like it, and for those who do, it's trivial to get the
same 'kodachrome look' with digital.

Sorry, but my 24 megapixel SLR doesn't yet equal even the lesser 64 ISO
variety, and I seem to be missing the "Kodachrome" setting on it.. And
Kodachrome was recording lovely images long before digital imaging was
ever dreamed of. But thank you for correcting my foolish impression
that I liked using it.

complexity was definitely a problem because it had to be sent back to
kodak or a handful of other labs that could do it, *all* of which are
now history.

ektachrome could be processed by just about any photo lab on premises
(no chance for loss/damage in the mail), usually the same day.

I understand that Kodachrome is no longer processed, but I found the
processing extremely convenient. The Kodak driver picked it up at my
store, and the same smiling man came back with it two days later. Of
next day, if I paid a bit more.
Old September 12th 17, 10:49 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
Phillip Helbig[_2_]

In article , Scott Schuckert
writes:

I understand that Kodachrome is no longer processed, but I found the
processing extremely convenient. The Kodak driver picked it up at my
store, and the same smiling man came back with it two days later. Of
next day, if I paid a bit more.

Why did Cinderella stand waiting in front of the photo shop?

"Someday, my prints will come!"

Old September 12th 17, 11:04 PM posted to rec.photo.digital
nospam

In article , Scott Schuckert
wrote:

many people did like it, and for those who do, it's trivial to get the
same 'kodachrome look' with digital.

Sorry, but my 24 megapixel SLR doesn't yet equal even the lesser 64 ISO
variety,

then you must have an absolute piece of **** camera. no wonder you
chose not to name it.

equaling kodachrome occurred many years ago, with lesser cameras.

modern digital cameras blow well past kodachrome, leaving it in the
dust in every metric, including resolution, dynamic range and colour
accuracy.

since digital is much better, it can be downgraded to look like
kodachrome for those who want that look (or any other film). no big
deal. best of all, you can choose the film *after* you shoot the photo.

and I seem to be missing the "Kodachrome" setting on it..

nobody said such a setting had to be included on every camera.

just because your camera doesn't have such a setting doesn't mean it's
impossible to do.

And
Kodachrome was recording lovely images long before digital imaging was
ever dreamed of.

so what?

technology has advanced quite a bit in the past 80 years from when the
dream of kodachrome was made a reality.

today's images are much better than anything kodachrome's inventors
could have ever imagined.

80 years from now, what exists today will look like absolute ****
compared to what will exist then. even in 10 years, today's images
technology will look dated, as do images from a decade ago.

technology moves at an increasingly rapid rate.

But thank you for correcting my foolish impression
that I liked using it.

no problem. i'm happy to clarify matters.

complexity was definitely a problem because it had to be sent back to
kodak or a handful of other labs that could do it, *all* of which are
now history.

ektachrome could be processed by just about any photo lab on premises
(no chance for loss/damage in the mail), usually the same day.

I understand that Kodachrome is no longer processed, but I found the
processing extremely convenient. The Kodak driver picked it up at my
store, and the same smiling man came back with it two days later. Of
next day, if I paid a bit more.

a 2 day wait is hardly convenient, and you're also ignoring weekends,
holidays, inclement weather or other delays.

as i said, ektachrome that could be done on premises, no need to send
it out, with some labs doing it in as little as one hour (although most
labs only did prints in one hour, with slides next day).

with digital, it's instant. no waiting at all.

technology marches on.