Canon Digital Rebel - starter lens recommendation

Old April 1st 07, 03:52 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Paul Furman

Default Canon Digital Rebel - starter lens recommendation

Acerola wrote:

After years of my point and shoot, I'm getting my first dSLR camera. So,
I'm new to the paradigm of the lens holding so much importance.

I was thinking of just getting the stock lens that comes with most
Digital Rebels, but would consider buying separately and spending a
little more for a better lens (but not some $1000+ lens that I've seen).
Thanks.

I'd suggest maybe getting the kit lens just cause it's cheap & handy &
you won't know the difference for a while plus a 28mm f/2.8 or Sigma
30mm f.1,4 which translates to a traditional 50mm 'normal' lens. That's
what people have used for ages and it's the most useful focal length for
general purpose shooting. The large aperture (small f-stop number) lets
you shoot in low light (invaluable for indoor family or party photos
with groups of people) and it permits a shallow depth of field which is
useful for artistic effect and creating soft backgrounds in portraits.
It's wide enough for most vacation scenery and generally represents wht
your normal eye sees so it's an intuitive way to shoot. The moderate
range means it's not difficult to make an excellent quality lens. You
can compare the two and learn the difference between fine glas and
consumer glass and be able to evaluate in time what other focal lengths
you might want.
Old April 2nd 07, 05:54 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
jean

"No 33 Secretary" a écrit dans le message
de ...
"plb49" wrote in
oups.com:

On Mar 30, 2:58 pm, Acerola wrote:
After years of my point and shoot, I'm getting my first dSLR
camera. So, I'm new to the paradigm of the lens holding so much
importance.

I was thinking of just getting the stock lens that comes with
most Digital Rebels, but would consider buying separately and
spending a little more for a better lens (but not some $1000+
lens that I've seen). Thanks.

I've replaced the kit lens with the 17-85 EF-S IS--quite pleased
with it!

Same here, on the reccomendation of the local shop I bought from.
Couldn't be happier. It's a $600 lens, but you just don't get
decent quality glass for less than that.

At $600 you are half way to a great lens, the 24-105 f4 L IS, I know it's
expensive but you will not regret it, it's super sharp. It misses a bit on
the wide end but has a bit more reach on the long end. Great travel lens.

Jean

Old April 2nd 07, 05:21 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
No 33 Secretary

"jean" wrote in
:

"No 33 Secretary" a écrit dans
le message de ...
"plb49" wrote in
oups.com:

On Mar 30, 2:58 pm, Acerola wrote:
After years of my point and shoot, I'm getting my first dSLR
camera. So, I'm new to the paradigm of the lens holding so
much importance.

I was thinking of just getting the stock lens that comes
with most Digital Rebels, but would consider buying
separately and spending a little more for a better lens (but
not some $1000+ lens that I've seen). Thanks.

I've replaced the kit lens with the 17-85 EF-S IS--quite
pleased with it!

Same here, on the reccomendation of the local shop I bought
from. Couldn't be happier. It's a $600 lens, but you just don't
get decent quality glass for less than that.

At $600 you are half way to a great lens,

I agree. And half way to a great lens is a good lens.

the 24-105 f4 L IS, I
know it's expensive but you will not regret it, it's super
sharp. It misses a bit on the wide end but has a bit more reach
on the long end. Great travel lens.

Only if you have the cash for it. If your budget covers a $600
lens, but no more, it's a good choice.

--
"What is the first law?"
"To Protect."

Terry Austin
Old April 3rd 07, 09:27 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Phil, Non-Squid

plb49 wrote:
On Mar 30, 2:58 pm, Acerola wrote:
After years of my point and shoot, I'm getting my first dSLR camera.
So, I'm new to the paradigm of the lens holding so much importance.

I was thinking of just getting the stock lens that comes with most
Digital Rebels, but would consider buying separately and spending a
little more for a better lens (but not some $1000+ lens that I've
seen). Thanks.

I've replaced the kit lens with the 17-85 EF-S IS--quite pleased with
it!
Paul B.

Me too. For $400, it's a steal!
--
Phil

Old April 3rd 07, 09:30 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Phil, Non-Squid

jean wrote:
[...]

Or you could save $600 and stop it down two stops to get almost the same
sharpness
--
Phil