Dpreview watermarking images of cameras

Old December 17th 08, 03:32 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
[email protected]

Default Dpreview watermarking images of cameras

"RichA" wrote in message
How can they watermark camera images of cameras they don't yet have in
hand, images supplied by the mfg or taken directly from the mfg's
website? Or better yet, why do they?

I wonder that too, many of the images are from the OEM makers, so DP is in
effect claiming copyright. Images in their reviews are likely from the DP
studio, as They all show the same umbrella reflections in the photos. But to
watermark a Nikon provided image is just wrong. The only logic is to prevent
hotlinked URLs, but hotlinks are easily blocked with .htaccess or other
server-side methods.

Old December 18th 08, 12:39 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
RichA[_3_]

"Jurgen" wrote in message
"RichA" wrote in message
How can they watermark camera images of cameras they don't yet have in
hand, images supplied by the mfg or taken directly from the mfg's
website? Or better yet, why do they?

I wonder that too, many of the images are from the OEM makers, so DP is
in effect claiming copyright. Images in their reviews are likely from the
DP studio, as They all show the same umbrella reflections in the photos.
But to watermark a Nikon provided image is just wrong. The only logic is
to prevent hotlinked URLs, but hotlinks are easily blocked with .htaccess
or other server-side methods.

Publishers in general copyright their magazines and web sites to stop
other publishers taking advertisements, reviews and editorials and using
them in their own publications. I know I wouldn't hesitate to sue anyone
who poached my advertisers and then tried to steal their ad off me.

Why would it bother anyone who wasn't intent on stealing the images? If
they came from Nikon or whoever, surely logic would tell you to get them
from the same source?

True. I just wondered why they wouldn't just post them as is since Nikon
obviously meant them for public consumption?

Old December 18th 08, 09:07 PM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Nomen Nescio

"RichA" wrote in message

"Jurgen" wrote in message
"RichA" wrote in message
[...]

The images are not on Nikon's (or Canon, Pentax et al) public webpages. The
images are media files for publishing, ad layouts and store POS use. The
watermark with dpreview only makes sense to reduce hotlinking images, but
the images would be copyrighted to Nikon etc. I guess DP review just runs
them through an automatic action in Photoshop, as they (DP) do take some
product shots in their studio.

Old December 19th 08, 12:13 AM posted to rec.photo.digital.slr-systems
Robert Coe

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 16:07:00 -0500, "Nomen Nescio" wrote:
:
: "RichA" wrote in message
: ...
:
: "Jurgen" wrote in message
: ...
: wrote:
: "RichA" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

The purpose may be to prove that they actually had the images as of a certain
date.

Bob